Custom Subwoofer enclosure

Project1P

May 30, 2014
Portsmouth
Seen this done before on here; I've stripped out the trim in the boot which has the small netted luggage compartment. Bought a Fibre glass kit online, it arrived a few days later.. I've never done this before so no idea how it will turn out! So far I've done two layers of fibre glass around the trim piece I stripped out, just allowing the second layer to dry tonight. It's pretty rock solid. Also got some 12mm thick MDF wood, thick enough to be sturdy but not ridiculously heavy either. Will be buying an 8inch Subwoofer and Mono Amp, probably Hertz, as I've got Hertz speakers and tweeters (Highly recommend)

20150923_180606_zpsjwazufrz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20150923_180628_zpsxjfhh5sj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I've covered the boot trim in carrier bags (preferably without holes) to protect the trim, they can hopefully be ripped off the back on the Fibre glass mould when it's completely dry. Then it's to put the trim back in and try the mould into it's position and note down any excess to be cut off and build it up in the an enclosure shape.

20150929_182751_zpsehbtl8kr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'll try and keep this thread updated with pictures and how it's going, any advice would be much appreciated!

lsg60

Mar 31, 2014
I was thinking of this to mount my amps, have to keep us updated :). I have a Hertz setup Aswell, epic sound system always get comments from people on how good it sounds

Jul 6, 2013
West Yorkshire
I'm keeping an eye on this. Looks good so far, how are you fixing to the the side panel? I'm a fibreglass laminator by trade and thought a bout doing this and making a pocket/storage hole with a door for the other side too.

Project1P

May 30, 2014
Portsmouth
I'm keeping an eye on this. Looks good so far, how are you fixing to the the side panel? I'm a fibreglass laminator by trade and thought a bout doing this and making a pocket/storage hole with a door for the other side too.

I'm not sure how i will be fixing this yet, I'm taking it step by step with no real instructions to follow so it's solving problems on the way. The only problem at the moment is the fact is there are two small access doors for the rear lights so this enclosure will need to be removable.

I've finished the main mould, it fits perfectly! There was a fair bit of trimming to do so it fitted snuggly which involved a lot of walking to and from the car with the mould noting down every part which needed to be trimmed.

20150930_174125_zps1rriyk5m.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I've started on the wooden face and lid, also trimming around the basic shape to what I needed.

20151002_184645_zpsgnbgneid.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm getting to the point where I need the Sub and Amp to continue on this project, which I'll be buying on the 15th of this month. Although there are dimension drawings online, I'd rather have them here so I can work with them in hand.

20151002_172428_zpsnzeljwbi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

With it placed loosely in my boot I'm starting to think it will look quite boxy, where as I want something that'll fit nicely in with no edges as such. This might mean trimming the top edge of the face down so I can create a mesh curve at the top and possibly down the side towards the boot opening. This is something I can pay around with a lot to get just what I want, just need all the bits here!

leon.il

Dec 28, 2013
Following your post , looking for updates. BTW the enclosure from Visual Ice from Ebay looks awesome :eek:

Project1P

May 30, 2014
Portsmouth
Visual ICE enclosures are awesome and very nicely priced. Although my enclosure has set me back about £50 so far, just need a couple more bits; mesh, carpet, acoustic carpet for the inside so would imagine it'll be close to the £100 mark. I want something completely custom made and covers my basic requirements.

Project1P

May 30, 2014
Portsmouth
Slowly progressing!

Bought a Hertz 10inch Subwoofer, 8inch I thought would look a little bit insignificant, ordered a standard Hertz energy ES 250 and a 250.5 D turned up... Not complaining though! Just means I now have a Dual Voice Coil, still not 100% sure what it means other than more wiring options.

So far I have now put a slight slant on the MDF face so it means it will curve more at the speaker end, made some 45mm side walls so it has some depth and the AMP can be installed inside the enclosure with a 20mm hole for wiring.

20151012_185847_zpsnywfj0mm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Both sides now fit together nicely.

20151012_190229_zps6hn3nbor.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Created some rings to mount the Speaker, with a gap around the edge for some LED lighting.

The gap around speaker and a 10mm hole for the LED strip wiring.

20151015_173932_zpsvrma102f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Plan is to raise one side on the speaker so it faces into the car, didn't realise how heavy the Sub is, just hoping my wood glue is strong enough!

Next step - AMP and LED lights!

hubbly_bubbly

[center][img]http://i374.
Aug 18, 2008
Johannesburg, South Africa
Looking good Project1P, similar setup to the ones I have been making.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=420965

The visual ice enclosure looks good but does take up quite a bit of boot space because they have left the carpet liner in place. There is more volume to be had by removing that liner as Project1P has done. That way you can recess the enclosure a lot more and save boot space.

Project1P

May 30, 2014
Portsmouth
A rough idea of what it's going to look like, I changed my mind with the speaker mount being angled slightly into the car and the speaker is heavy and was concerned the idea I had wouldn't be strong enough for the weight and any sudden jolting from bumps so the mount is now glued and screwed directly to the face.

20151020_173554_zpsqna7vmg3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Finally completed the construction of the face part, added the mesh to create a smooth run up to the speaker mount which will now need Fiberglassing, the recessed hole for the AMP is now glued in with side holes for wiring. Filled gaps with wood filler and smoothed down.

20151103_200215_zpsdk9lx8sl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Need to buy an AMP wiring kit, install it into the enclosure and then fix the fibreglass mould and face together! Still need to sort out the issue of fixing it to the side of the boot wall though :confused:

koush

Oct 30, 2010
Churchdown,Gloucester
Hi,

if you want a smooth finish to the sub, I would suggest use some sub box carpet around the sub like you have done with the mesh, and then apply the resin directly to the carpet. it save on using fibre glass and you will get a smoother finish.

Koush

lsg60

Mar 31, 2014
Looking good mate. Could use heavy duty velcro to fasten it in place? My false floor is held down by velcro and it's a nightmare getting it up

Project1P

May 30, 2014
Portsmouth
20151209_171513_zpshdjjwwoj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Now the evenings are darker quicker and busy weekends, I haven't had much done as of yet. But what I have done is - The RCA cables and control cable are now plugged into the back of the stereo and run down by the seat into the boot hidden under trims and mats. The power cable has been fed through a small rubber nipple just behind the battery, thanks to a couple of other members for that shout out. So I've now fiberglassed the top and remaining back (it's now drying) Used tin foil to mould into the hard to reach areas, covered it fibre glass and then pressed it into place with a layer of cling film for protection (Probably won't do much) And the wires/cables from the battery and stereo are now running through the hole in the side and run to their corresponding locations. Gotta wait for this to dry, fill in any gaps and uneven surfaces and give it a good sanding down!

Project1P

May 30, 2014
Portsmouth
Subwoofer project finished!

Bought these, Vibe fastplug and an RCA cable female coupler. Fastplug is a neat idea for allowing your Subwoofer to be removable, consists of power, ground and remote. Has an Amp side and Power side with the choice of either being bolted to a surface. The RCA coupler was needed due to installing the original cables but then had to remove them from the enclosure to continue progress but they got stuck half way of pulling them out so had to make a hole in the back, which also meant there was no way of running them back in the same way after. Also needed something that would make the RCA cables of a plug in type too like the power, ground and remote.

20160122_175047_zpsozvivvff.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

All wired up and working, just showing how the Fastplug works. Glued the RCA coupler in place so all plug in wires and cables are next to each other.

20160127_181142_zpsphipu0u2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

All holes for wires sealed up so hopefully this is as air tight as I can make it. Bought some soft matting from a fabric shop and covered the front, the back I didn't bother with due to the complex shape of the moulding so just covered most of it in adhesive acoustic thick foam. Amp wired in and speaker screwed in and wired up.

20160127_201722_zpsvmz84sqp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

All installed, tuned and working. Lights work nicely and look effective. Bass hits hard, subwoofer probably needs a little loosening up though, overall I am very chuffed with the end product and I've definitely learned a few things to say the least, patience is one of them!

20160127_181427_zpsvnykmf4q.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.