It's the little things

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Just checked the regs and a dipped beam 'tell tale' is not required. This car is the first I have owned (since 1968) with no visible or audible warning that the headlights are left on.

Yep - it is surprising what they feel is required and just as surprising what they feel we don't need.

Last edited:

FamilyGuy

Apr 1, 2015
You guy's are difficult to please; but the lighting controls and warnings, audible and visual are disgraceful and may not comply with regulations. This applies to LED lights without 'auto' setting.
The disappearing instruments when passing a row of trees is also very annoying.
p.s. Just checked the regs and a dipped beam 'tell tale' is not required. This car is the first I have owned (since 1968) with no visible or audible warning that the headlights are left on.
Might be because the lights are not left on. Leave them on dipped, engine off, all lights go out.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
I wish xenon headlights were an option. I like the colour and look of leds but don't think they are very strong.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
I wish xenon headlights were an option. I like the colour and look of leds but don't think they are very strong.

Same here. Although they do appear better now I've adjusted them slightly ( up) I'm still not convinced the light is as piercing as xenon's.
I think the beam throw or reach is not as far on either high or dipped beam. I need to do some decent night time runs to confirm, although I'm hoping to get it on a beam setter thingy next week.

rossandjet

Jul 21, 2015
Littleborough
This. It's annoying.

So far I have a few:

- The key not having the chrome thing for a start.

- The placement of the electric window buttons makes me press the rear instead of the front ones.
- The ignition key placement. My knee and key ring are in contact most of the time.

- The SE trim gets black trim to surround the touch screen and dials. The FR gets grey. I think black looks way cooler.

- The sun visor when down obstructs too much of my vision.

Not really the cars or Seats fault but if you look under, in and behind things you can see where corners were cut. It starts with the key not having the chrome clip but hey you can't get better for the money and the styling, engine line up and kit list is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must agree, I am always pressing the rear window switches.

Do you think it might be possible to reverse the switches ????

gshaw

Jun 14, 2014
Essex
Being very picky:

- glovebox and armrest cubby hole should be lined with carpet material
- centre console storage area isn't deep enough for a large phone plugged into the USB socket
- dedicated button to fold in mirrors rather than an extra rotary position as it is now
- mirrors to auto fold when locking as an option in the on-board computer (yes I know I'm being really lazy with that one to avoid holding the lock button for 2 extra seconds!)
- the plastic area around the window switches would be better with some form of covering to give it a slightly nicer finish (fairly shiny plastic that picks up dirt easily)
- rear wheel well in cars without a spare to include some sort of boot storage container, had this in my C30 and it was really handy

Nothing in there that has a major effect on me but likely to be little things I do over time as and where I can.

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggles with the front and rear electric window switches. One niggle is no 30mph mark on the speedo

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
Might be because the lights are not left on. Leave them on dipped, engine off, all lights go out.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Why need a buzzer when they don't actually stay on. The reason for the buzzer on past cars was to let you know the lights are on and it may drain the battery

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggles with the front and rear electric window switches. One niggle is no 30mph mark on the speedo

Good shout on the speedo markings. I'm not even fussed that it doesn't say '30', just the fact that the notches are difficult to see.

TonyFSC

Jun 20, 2015

Sorry, you have missed the point.
You leave the car at night with the light switch on headlights.
The headlights go out; fine.
Next day, probably bright and sunny, you get in the car and drive off totally unaware that your headlights are on dipped beam.
You can't see the switch, because it's hidden by your right hand on the wheel.
Illegal to drive on dipped beam in bright conditions.
Totally ridiculous that there is no headlights on audible warning.

FamilyGuy

Apr 1, 2015
Sorry, you have missed the point.
You leave the car at night with the light switch on headlights.
The headlights go out; fine.
Next day, probably bright and sunny, you get in the car and drive off totally unaware that your headlights are on dipped beam.
You can't see the switch, because it's hidden by your right hand on the wheel.
Illegal to drive on dipped beam in bright conditions.
Totally ridiculous that there is no headlights on audible warning.
Really? The first half of your scenario happens to us all the time as the Mrs is forgetting to switch them off. Despite my absolutely massive hands, I always notice and kill the lights as soon as I get in. As for driving with headlights on being illegal, umm..... no.

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
Driving with fog lights on when the conditions are fine is illegal. I know this because I have been pulled for it a few years ago. Don't think it applies to headlights though

Stegor

Jul 17, 2011
YEP - the EUROPRATS went all health & safety on the bonnet release.

I thought the reason was most of Europe have left-hand drive and so it's cheaper to keep it on the left for UK models. Are you saying that the European SEAT's have the lever on the right?

TonyFSC

Jun 20, 2015
Driving with fog lights on when the conditions are fine is illegal. I know this because I have been pulled for it a few years ago. Don't think it applies to headlights though
This is what the regs say, although not that easy to interpret:

Requirements about the use of headlamps and front fog lamps

25.—(1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), no person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road a vehicle which is fitted with obligatory dipped-beam headlamps unless every such lamp is kept lit–

(a)during the hours of darkness, except on a road which is a restricted road for the purposes of section 81 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 by virtue of a system of street lighting when it is lit; and
(b)in seriously reduced visibility.

I read this as you must have two headlights and you must only use them at night or in seriously reduced visibility.

A sunny day would not constitute 'seriously reduced visibility', so I would be liable to be pulled over by the long arm of the law.

FamilyGuy

Apr 1, 2015
This is what the regs say, although not that easy to interpret:

Requirements about the use of headlamps and front fog lamps

25.—(1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), no person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road a vehicle which is fitted with obligatory dipped-beam headlamps unless every such lamp is kept lit–

(a)during the hours of darkness, except on a road which is a restricted road for the purposes of section 81 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 by virtue of a system of street lighting when it is lit; and
(b)in seriously reduced visibility.

I read this as you must have two headlights and you must only use them at night or in seriously reduced visibility.

A sunny day would not constitute 'seriously reduced visibility', so I would be liable to be pulled over by the long arm of the law.
That means you mustn't drive in the dark or poor visibility unless you have your headlights on...

TonyFSC

Jun 20, 2015
That means you mustn't drive in the dark or poor visibility unless you have your headlights on...

Yes, I see your point, not necessarily illegal to drive on headlights all the time. Another interpretation and maybe more correct, legally, than mine.
I have just put a sticker on my steering wheel 'Turn off the headlights'!

stu_m

Aug 14, 2014
Hull
www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk
Is some forgetting volvo have headlights on permanently and no one has a choice? It's not illegal to drive with headlights on during the day but as mentioned using fogs when not foggy is illegal and carries a fine too

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Is some forgetting volvo have headlights on permanently and no one has a choice? It's not illegal to drive with headlights on during the day but as mentioned using fogs when not foggy is illegal and carries a fine too

My Honda bike also has the dipped beam on all the time, as soon as you turn the key (even before the engine starts) the light comes on and you can't switch it off. I always drove all my sporty cars/bikes with dipped beam on long before the vehicles were changed to have lights on all the time (LED running lights now) and have never been stopped by the police, well not for my lights.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.