Desperate Help Needed with Leon internal and external leak

nigxl

Jan 12, 2013
Wales
Stick your finger in the water leaking by the clutch pedal. If it's coolant you'll soon know it.
If it's using coolant and not losing it could well be the matrix

andycupra

status subject to change
just top up the coolant so its in the top half of the range when cold.
it will be above max when hot, thats normal as it expands.
always check level of coolant when cold.

What happens this time of year is the generally lower temperatures out side mean the coolant levels sit slightly lower. So give it a couple more weeks and there will be others with the coolant alarm.

Many talk of scrapping prongs, - personally i prefer not to do this as i like my coolant clear.
having owned 2 leons with a combined 20 years use, both of which once had the coolant alarm, for both ive simply topped up the coolant a bit and both have had no issues since.

rbomb

Oct 13, 2015
ok thanks..am still struggling to find the pollen filter case bolts..does anywhere or anyone know where i can find them and perhaps a url? thanks

andycupra

status subject to change
the what? to change the pollen filter is no more than two screws...? what bolts are you refering to? the ones for the case into which you put the pollen filter?

id wait for it to rain, and after a period go and sit in the car work out where the leaks comes from

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Bradford
be aware that the water will travel to the lowest point in the car so if you're parked on a slant to the right your puddle will be in the drivers side but doesn't mean that it's leaking from that side.

I think the housing for the pollen filter bolts to the car using plastic nuts iirc, it might be this he is referring to, the base of the housing should also be sealed up with suitable sealant if it has been removed then just a case of correctly seating the cover so when it rains the water is drained/guided away correctly

rbomb

Oct 13, 2015
be aware that the water will travel to the lowest point in the car so if you're parked on a slant to the right your puddle will be in the drivers side but doesn't mean that it's leaking from that side.

I think the housing for the pollen filter bolts to the car using plastic nuts iirc, it might be this he is referring to, the base of the housing should also be sealed up with suitable sealant if it has been removed then just a case of correctly seating the cover so when it rains the water is drained/guided away correctly

Sorry, I should explain. Well the mechanic said the leaks coming because the pollen filters case was not bolted on, so waters been getting through there. He did a temp fix with two bolts but he said there was no bolts on the pollen filter, which from my eyes I did see, so he said I need to order those bolts to keep it in place as otherwise the water will continue to get through..so now am trying to find somewhere i can find those bolts? Someone said B n Q and on a search of the forums someone else said they found them for 99p..

rbomb

Oct 13, 2015
the what? to change the pollen filter is no more than two screws...? what bolts are you refering to? the ones for the case into which you put the pollen filter?

id wait for it to rain, and after a period go and sit in the car work out where the leaks comes from

Yeah well the mechanic and me took it to a jet wash and poured all over the car, didn't see it pouring out of anywhere and the mechanic said its more than likely to be coming actually under the carpet and it was the pollen filter case not being on...and Ive wrote down the name of the part and he said its the 'pollen filter cover and spring clips'..where can I buy this? If anyone knows please let me know thanks

andycupra

status subject to change
ok so hes saying its the pollen filter base which needs bolts....
but then says its the pollen filter cover....

Why the base would have been removed and bolts removed im not sure... however not replacing the pcllen filter cover properly is a common issue. ive never seen any spring clips on these.

can you confirm where in the car its getting wet. passenger footwell? - this would be consistent with ppelln filter cover (whic does not bolt down it simply gets pushed into place. (its a plyiable rubber thingy)

As for coolant, can you confirm the level when the engine is cold? how do you know its loosing coolant? are you topping up alot? or perhaps you have not topped up at all?
Does the level in the tank vary alot, ie goes up and down? it should be in the correct range when cold, then increase when hot and return to normal when cold. if its varying during running then perhaps there is an airlock. in which case when cold take top off the expansion tank and run the enging up to temperature. top up as required. then leave to cool, then replace cap.

Where abouts are you in the country? personally i getg the impression the mechanics are a blit clueless and guessing, i helpful SCN member might be in your area

Last edited:

rbomb

Oct 13, 2015
Hi Andy..hi everyone.
First of all andy thank you so much for all the help! I'm really crap at DIY, or I would have attempted to fix this myself to be honest but as I gave this car to my brother with no issues and work full time..I really haven't had the time to go through the car again.

The mechanic said somebody probably just ripped the pollen filter base/cover off and thus the screw/spring clips/bolts whatever you want to call them have gone.
So I'm now just wanting to know how I can fix this or where i can get them from!
He's right now taken two bolts and just put them in there to keep it secure but said to me ideally I need to order a new set of spring clips or the set of the base/cover and spring clips.
The leak appears in driver side rear passenger footwell and front only and on passenger side front and back no leak whatsoever its dry!

Hi, my brother says it come with a red flashing light, he checks the coolant and it is low. Its not a consistent loss as sometimes it'll go 2-3 weeks and be fine, but then a red light and its low when he looks so he tops up...light disappears. The mechanic insists the car is mechanically sound and he checked for a leak and theres none from the engine and he says its simply a red flashing light meaning the car's low on coolant, I just don't get how it can drink so much coolant.
As I've said its now my brothers car so I have no idea about the cold level etc but I will have a look. I am based in Nottingham and I would happily pay a seat member for their opinion on the car and time as I'm at my wits end with the car and we really want to spend the minimum we have to after paying this mechanic £175 as the cars a 03 reg and 128k on the clock.

Last edited:

andycupra

status subject to change
Ok so to be clear, there is no water in the passenger side front and rear... If so don't waste anymore time with the pollen filter which would leak into front passenger footwell. As long as the rubber cover is over the filter this should be Ok. Although all this about bolts is concerning.

I suspect the driver side door seals need doing.

As for coolant if he really is to ping up regularly there is a leak somewhere. But check things like the expansion tank lid is done up... oh er wise it's a case or inspecting. Perhaps park up when car is at full temp and leave engine running. See if any drips a pear on floor for clues to source.

rbomb

Oct 13, 2015
Ok so to be clear, there is no water in the passenger side front and rear... If so don't waste anymore time with the pollen filter which would leak into front passenger footwell. As long as the rubber cover is over the filter this should be Ok. Although all this about bolts is concerning.

I suspect the driver side door seals need doing.

As for coolant if he really is to ping up regularly there is a leak somewhere. But check things like the expansion tank lid is done up... oh er wise it's a case or inspecting. Perhaps park up when car is at full temp and leave engine running. See if any drips a pear on floor for clues to source.

Yes theres no water in passenger side front or rear. And ok so don't do the pollen filter? And well when he took the seals off the door he said they didn't need doing? And he said proof of that is the fact when we did the jet wash no water came through then ? And yeah I've ket the car on and parked up and not seen any leaks

andycupra

status subject to change
What door seals is he talking about. The seals we are talking about are the carrier seals which you need to remove the door trim to even look at. So I can't see how he can 'take them off' to check... We have had people argue and swear it's not the seals but turns out it was.

rbomb

Oct 13, 2015
What door seals is he talking about. The seals we are talking about are the carrier seals which you need to remove the door trim to even look at. So I can't see how he can 'take them off' to check... We have had people argue and swear it's not the seals but turns out it was.

Oh no Im not arguing or swearing so sorry if it came across like that. Um there was a link someone posted above about the door cards is it or door membranes? well i took pics while he was doing it and he removed the whole door unit and he said theres no condensation or water held inside there and when we jet washed it didn't leak through so he said its not the door..so you mean the door seals you step on when getting in the car? i get it now..no he hasn't checked there..is it a big job? ill ask him to check..is there any guides on doing that?

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Oh no Im not arguing or swearing so sorry if it came across like that. Um there was a link someone posted above about the door cards is it or door membranes? well i took pics while he was doing it and he removed the whole door unit and he said theres no condensation or water held inside there and when we jet washed it didn't leak through so he said its not the door..so you mean the door seals you step on when getting in the car? i get it now..no he hasn't checked there..is it a big job? ill ask him to check..is there any guides on doing that?

no mate, he means the seal inside the door itself, but right inside. From what you say it sounds like the mechanic has taken the first plastic bit off of the door( the bit with the handle and window switches in it etc etc) but the seals we are on about run around the inside of the metal panel that is behind the bit he's removed for you.

The seal runs behind the black metal panel where it seals againt the gren door panel you can see in the pic below.

WindowRegulator2_zpskynujfmi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44216 Guide to repair itself

Last edited:

rbomb

Oct 13, 2015
Right I see thanks that helps..so were abouts are the seals on that door? Im going to speak to the mechanic about fixing as he said he'll do the seals..but i jw if i took it somewhere else what a reasonable charge is for this?or is there anyone on seat forums who could do it for me..i wooden mind paying them for their time? am crap with DIY?

Last edited:

rbomb

Oct 13, 2015
on a plus note i checked the bolts are on the pollen filter and still leaking the car is..it rained last night so probably why..it only seems to leak when it rains..looking at that pic i was trying to upload the pics i took off the mechanic taking the door off and they look very similar to this..so am not sure if it is the door seals as i can't upload the pic of the door so you guys can tell me your opinion

rbomb

Oct 13, 2015
12166164_761092084036907_1274147968_n.jpg
[/url]

12166834_761091894036926_1177917868_n.jpg
[/url]

thats the car and the mechanic and like i said earlier..he did look in this area but he said it'd be wet or have condensation as the water would be held? we also went to the jet wash with the door open like that and i sat in the car and i could hear a trickling noise but couldn't see it coming from the door and i did look..

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.