Cupra 280 clutch pedal fault

Jay280

Oct 7, 2015
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum as just traded my '09 Audi S3 in for a 11 month old monsoon grey cupra 280 manual with 7k on the clock. Must say after a week with the car I'm not disappointed :) Just wondering if any other owners have experienced the clutch pedal being slow to return back up from the floor when doing a quick gear shift? Wouldn't quite say it's sticking on the floor though. I've only noticed it happen a couple of times. Just wondering if it's worth booking it in with the dealer or are they just going to give the 'it's a characteristic of the car' response. Thanks in advance

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Jay280

Oct 7, 2015
Thanks for the welcome. I think no matter how good modern DSG's and auto gear boxes get I'll always be a fan of the good old-fashioned manual

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum as just traded my '09 Audi S3 in for a 11 month old monsoon grey cupra 280 manual with 7k on the clock. Must say after a week with the car I'm not disappointed :) Just wondering if any other owners have experienced the clutch pedal being slow to return back up from the floor when doing a quick gear shift? Wouldn't quite say it's sticking on the floor though. I've only noticed it happen a couple of times. Just wondering if it's worth booking it in with the dealer or are they just going to give the 'it's a characteristic of the car' response. Thanks in advance

On another subject altogether. Since you are coming from a all wheel drive I would make sure you have good tyres on the front axle. If you have Bridgetsones for example change them for Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Night and day grip. Just my 2 p.

Jay280

Oct 7, 2015
Yes I've been looking at tyres for it as when buying it the dealer said they'd put 2 new fronts on when servicing it. Probably me being a little naive expecting as it's a Seat main dealer they would put factory spec tyres on.........when I picked it up and found kumho ecsta le sport's fitted to the front of it I was less than impressed! And I let him know it, not that it did much good as at this point I'd payed for the car. Ah well, u live and learn. Been looking at the pilot super sports and also Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetrics.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Yes I've been looking at tyres for it as when buying it the dealer said they'd put 2 new fronts on when servicing it. Probably me being a little naive expecting as it's a Seat main dealer they would put factory spec tyres on.........when I picked it up and found kumho ecsta le sport's fitted to the front of it I was less than impressed! And I let him know it, not that it did much good as at this point I'd payed for the car. Ah well, u live and learn. Been looking at the pilot super sports and also Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetrics.

I made the exact same mistake and exact same tyres however the tyres are pretty good to be honest. However looking toward to some eagle f1 asymmetrics come replcement time :)

Par

Mar 22, 2004
Fife
The Kumho Ecsta isnt a bad tyre, they were fitted to my Lotus when I bought it and have no complaints.

That being said I have just fitted a pair of Michelin PSS to my Cupra:)

Last edited:

Jay280

Oct 7, 2015
Maybe I'll run the kumho's for a bit and give them a chance then, cheers

Nobziller

Apr 26, 2015
I've had issues with my clutch, and I agree with the pedal. Mine is slipping at 8600 miles

Jay280

Oct 7, 2015
That's not good at that mileage! What's your dealer said? Mine definitely isn't slipping. After looking at it today I'm thinking the return spring on the pedal just isn't quite as strong as I'm used to.

Jay280

Oct 7, 2015
Managed to get the car booked in for Monday. Hope they find the problem as it's not that often it does it!

anri52

Oct 23, 2015
There is a clutch delay valve built in.If you change gear fast enough at high revs in from third to fourth it cuts the power for half a second when you lift the clutch.I have it on my Cupra to

Jay280

Oct 7, 2015
There is a clutch delay valve built in.If you change gear fast enough at high revs in from third to fourth it cuts the power for half a second when you lift the clutch.I have it on my Cupra to
It does it from stationary also, when just operating the pedal and not selecting a gear it will do a similar thing. The pedal doesn't follow your foot if u release it quickly, if u get what I mean? If it is normal it's highly annoying! Can't see the hydraulic clutch system being too much different from that on the S3 I've just got rid of, and never experienced a delay on that.........unless I'm wrong?

steelmaximus

May 5, 2014
Hi Guys sorry to jump in but I am also now finding a problem with my clutch.

I Have a Cupra 265 Completely Stock 14 Plate Manual. Collected June 14 7 Miles on the clock, the car has now done 11000 miles and has mostly been used by the Mrs and used as a baby carrier!

The car is on its first original set of tyres so its not been driven at all!

When I got the car I noticed that the clutch is a complete pain when reversing, no matter what you try it always feels like its going to stall. This has always been the same and hasn't got any better or worse and was something I just accepted as a characteristic of the car,

On the few spirited gear changes I have done in the car (not off the line) I have noticed that the clutch was slow to return but I always put this down to the car somehow protecting the clutch from damage, not a problem but again a characteristic.

In the last couple of days I have noticed that when in 6th Gear doing 65mph around 2700 rpm when you put your foot almost flat to the floor the revs jump as if the clutch is slipping. Has anybody had this problem? Does anybody know what SEAT warranty are likely to do if the clutch is failing at this point?:confused:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members