Replace Media System Plus (2014) with Seat CarPlay compatible head unit

dan_bassist

Jul 28, 2015
London
Hi All,

Just took delivery of a December 2014 Leon ST FR 2.0TDi 150PS. It came with the Media System Plus (3D Sat Nav).

I'd asked the dealer if it would be possible to upgrade to the head unit to use with my iPhone 6 through Carplay, he said only Leons from May 2015 would be upgradeable, but mine wouldn't. Below doc (page 6 -- MirrorLink but not CarPlay) confirms it:

seat.com/content/dam/public/models/carworld-generic/carworld-generic-pdfs/full-link-compatibility-smartphones.pdf

Does anyone know how easy / much it is to source the upgraded 2015 Media System Plus head unit -- and would a straight swap even work? I don't want 3rd party, as I want to retain parking sensors, car controls etc.

Which model number should I look for, and where is the best place -- eBay? Would I be better off waiting a few months for units to appear from breakers yards?

TIA guys!

Obee72

Jan 7, 2015
I'm not saying it isn't doable however I expect the cost to be astronomical as its a new head unit and possibly new 'CPU' unit. Although MY15 and MY16 look very similar I suspect the units and behind the dash bits are quite different.

I'd also be interested to find out but doubtful is ever try it to be honest as its a lot of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richardtank

Sep 19, 2009
Thanks for starting this thread! I'm just looking to replace my Mk2 and I love the idea of Android Auto. I thought we'd have to wait a few years before we saw it come to the Leon, great to see that it should be in the latest versions! Will have to check that out

sincze

Sep 29, 2015
I too would be very interested in this ;)

Now experimenting with chromecast and the media-in cable to achieve ANDROID on 2015 model.
(screen does go out while driving so someone needs to check my VCDS settings).

jamrolu

Oct 3, 2015
Manchester, England
I'd love to know too. My 2013/63 plate was in for its 2 year service yesterday and I asked if this was possible. The guy said "of course, when you order a brand new car" which was really helpful!

Tom_91

Feb 9, 2015
St. Albans
Can someone with the nav high remove it and tell me the part number please? Then I can start thinking about the feasibility of a retrofit.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
SEAT will be releasing a "kit" to retro fit but it will be a while and expensive.

I want to add Android Auto to mine.

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
SEAT will be releasing a "kit" to retro fit but it will be a while and expensive.

I want to add Android Auto to mine.

Have you got any further details on the "kit" Andrew? I presume it would work in a similar sort of way to the Mk7 Golf Sat Nav retro fits (http://www.advanced-incar.co.uk/volkswagen-retrofits/vw-garmin-nav-upgrade-for-composition-media)

Would the lower resolution of the MIB 1 systems limit functionality?

Found a cool video of CarPlay in action which is what I'd be looking to add - http://youtu.be/0ciqCutAO30