Tyre pressure system

cbates1990

May 3, 2010
Hi all,

Sorry if someone asked this before,

Does anyone know how this system works exactly?

How does it know which tyre is low?

I've just replaced two tyres on the front and moved the best tyre too the back, does that back tyre still thinks it's on the front?

Totally new to this my old Seat never had it.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StewartWaudby

Jan 21, 2010
Someone more knowledgeable than me will be able to confirm but I assume it's one of the indirect monitoring systems which essentially uses the ABS sensors to detect that the circumference of the wheel has changed when the pressure has dropped?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Irksome

Feb 27, 2011
Indeed, monitors speed of rotation of each wheel - doesn't actually monitor the tyre pressure at all ... works surprisingly well - I was convinced mine was playing up but no, I really did have 2 slow punctures!

cbates1990

May 3, 2010
Brilliant, glad it's supposed to work as it should do, I was worried when I started driving and immediately it came on saying the rear tyres were low.

StewartWaudby

Jan 21, 2010
Some cars do have direct monitoring systems which actually involve pressure sensors but most just use this system of detecting a change in rotation speed and therefore wheel circumference. The required sensors are already there for ABS/TC so it just needs something to interpret the data appropriately, it's quite an effective system.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cbates1990

May 3, 2010
Good news back tyres were low! Put some air in them and the system reset, panic over... Thanks both.