VW massaging emission figures

Irksome

Feb 27, 2011
Exeo has Bosch 17 tricore ecu with "tuning protection". You have to use a special interface cable that attached to ecu, pinned on with special tool or soldered on. Then you use a bootloader program to access the ecu.
This is nothing you do in your garage, but at your tuner. They saves the original map, and can always put it back. (usualy for money)
Load of rubbish ... Bluefin does it through the ODBC port.

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
It's actually partially true that's how they used to be mapped at first but new developments have made it possible to map via odb

Sausageinabun

Jul 5, 2014
Manchester
Why in god's name would they 'detune' our vehicles to achieve a NOx level that we are not required to meet in this country.

As I have already stated elsewhere, our RFD is based on Carbon emissions not NOx, so that will be unaffected.

Nobody knows yet what form the 'fix' is going to take.

We don't even know yet as to whether we are to be forced to have it done or not.

It isn't safety related so how can they force it upon us.

Also, what is to stop anybody who has this done taking their vehicle straight to the local remapping firm down the road.

Who knows, SEAT UK are remaining as tight lipped as their parent company, time will tell.

In the meantime, there are a lot more newspapers to sell and hours of TV news time to fill up with even more wild speculation and FUD spreading.

A simple 'fix' would be to disable the cheat software in our ECU's, the cheat remember, that was put in there to cheat the NOx emission level requirements in the USA, not the UK.

donkas

Aug 30, 2012
Scotland
Why in god's name would they 'detune' our vehicles to achieve a NOx level that we are not required to meet in this country.

They need to advertise official figures for emissions. They also advertise official performance figures. To do both, they have clearly lied on one front and if they want to meet one figure, they need to change the engine performance on the other front. After removing the cheat, they either detune the engine to meet emission figures or do nothing and revise the official figures.

Either way, they have not sold me what they said they had.

Sausageinabun

Jul 5, 2014
Manchester
The permitted levels of NOx allowed in Diesel cars are published, and are as follows :-

For vehicles manufactured pre September 2015, Euro5 applies, and is 180mg/km

For vehicles made post September 2015 Euro6 will apply, which is a far more stringent 80mg/km

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Plenty of wild ideas and speculation in these threads, it makes me laugh.
Joe works for LC Charles if my memory serves correctly, a well respected dealer and one who actually has a soul.
The truth is you're not getting much info about the fix for this issue from your dealer because we genuinely don't have any fully clarified ideas as to what the fix consists of. A vague letter or post on our dealer portal gives us some insight to their plans but most of the time that info is already public.
As for the tuning discussion some early edc17 ecu's could be flashed though the obd port then anti tuning protection was implemented 2010+ this was then cracked and they could all be flashed via obd using the correct tools.
Dealer equipment doesn't have the need to decrypt the ecu as It has direct access to the files needed to be altered or rewritten during updates.

Last edited:

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
in other news GM cars are still bursting into flames and there's been reports of up to 10 million Toyota vehicles suffering with electrical anomalies where wiring looms have excessive resistance caused by faulty components that are also setting on fire but that's not making big news because people have actually died, that would be considered bad taste.

Both are bad but were not deliberate. With the Zafira's some of findings have been because repairs were not carried out correctly nor using genuine parts.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
even so it's not being rammed in everyone's face by the media despite the fact that they are directly related to people losing their lives and I'm not just on about Zafira dash fires.

For that matter neither were the faulty accelerator pedals on Toyotas that jammed on or the brakes that failed.

They weren't deliberate either but they were the result of cost cutting and scrimping on production materials.

Last edited:

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
even so it's not being rammed in everyone's face by the media despite the fact that they are directly related to people losing their lives and I'm not just on about Zafira dash fires.

For that matter neither were the faulty accelerator pedals on Toyotas that jammed on or the brakes that failed.

They weren't deliberate either but they were the result of cost cutting and scrimping on production materials.

So you don't think much higher than advertised emissions leads directly to people losing their lives?

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Not in the same manner that whole families being burnt to a crisp because of faulty ignition/injection systems have, no.

The American media recently wrote a story with an estimated number of lives that "could" have been saved if the vw emissions were within spec. Turns out the number (about 60) was completely made up and had no evidence to support it and they still manage to be one of the biggest emitters of pollutants on the planet, hypocrisy at its finest.

Mrski1

May 12, 2008
Aberdeen
From Autocar:

UK recall 'won't be mandatory'

The UK's Department for Transport has confirmed that it won't be issuing a mandatory recall for cars affected by Volkswagen's emissions scandal in this country.

Speaking to Autocar, a DfT spokesman confirmed that the UK won't follow the example set by the German authorities in issuing a mandatory recall for affected cars. Volkswagen has already started a voluntary recall program for cars in this country, but the DfT has made clear that "this is VW's position and VW's problem."

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
That's good news Mrski1.

Sadly if bad news from the VW group keeps drip feeding as it currently is (with CO2 emissions and potentially petrol cars with problems) I fear the group will be heading the same way as Rover!

Mrski1

May 12, 2008
Aberdeen
I wonder if there may still be issues for those who decide not to have the fix when it comes to trading in for another car though.

Possibly, I can certainly see it hurting future projects / developments, or even the rumoured entry of VW into F1!

donkas

Aug 30, 2012
Scotland
I wonder if there may still be issues for those who decide not to have the fix when it comes to trading in for another car though.

Possibly, I can certainly see it hurting future projects / developments, or even the rumoured entry of VW into F1!

It's interesting that this fix is mandatory in Germany because they deem the software currently in place as illegal. Even if not mandatory over here, I would imagine most owners would opt to have the work completed to receive the documentation certifying it.

Last edited:

cmgreen

Jan 31, 2006
I think this plot thickens, I personally believe that we will all be out of pocket, VW have just been found out to what they were doing, but I bet they weren't alone. We will all receive a updated map that will reduce HP and Fuel economy and there will be no compensation given unless we challenge it.

My Seat dealer is pathetic, Seat Pulman Sunderland, they cant even align my headlights properly, 4 times its been in now! So I doubt it if we will hear anything positive.

donkas

Aug 30, 2012
Scotland
I think this plot thickens, I personally believe that we will all be out of pocket, VW have just been found out to what they were doing, but I bet they weren't alone. We will all receive a updated map that will reduce HP and Fuel economy and there will be no compensation given unless we challenge it.

My Seat dealer is pathetic, Seat Pulman Sunderland, they cant even align my headlights properly, 4 times its been in now! So I doubt it if we will hear anything positive.

I'm quite sure we won't be out of pocket - pressure is mounting on VAG to do the right thing here and I think there are two approaches. Contact them seeing redress and if unsatisfied, go via legal action. Search Volkswagen emissions and you get nothing but lawyer firms listed as it is like the new PPI. They wouldn't be investing much time and effort if they didn't think there was a case to be answered.

Mrski1

May 12, 2008
Aberdeen
I'm quite sure we won't be out of pocket - pressure is mounting on VAG to do the right thing here and I think there are two approaches. Contact them seeing redress and if unsatisfied, go via legal action. Search Volkswagen emissions and you get nothing but lawyer firms listed as it is like the new PPI. They wouldn't be investing much time and effort if they didn't think there was a case to be answered.

The way I see it is that the only way we will be out of pocket, will be in the fuel and time used to get to the dealer for the fix, and any potential drop in value of the vehicle now that VW group cars have been slightly tarnished by this issue. Saying that the Exeo never really held its value as well as the other VW group cars, and I plan on keeping mine until it will be worth very little anyway, so that wont impact me.

It seems that VW new car sales have dropped since the scandal was brought to attention, I read something like 10% down for VW, 3% down for Skoda, and around 32% down for Seat, so currently the main losers in all of this is VW.