VW Transporter T5 Kombi - My Tow Vehicle for the Ibiza

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Looks brilliant!

Any plans to turn it into a campervan?

Not really, I need it to tow my car and load or full of tools & parts for the track days.

Only thing I may get is a bed that looks like a shelf at the back (behind the rear seats) and then you fold the rear seats down and extend the shelf into a bed. So I can sleep on top and all my stuff will be underneath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
First night spent in the back of the van at Cadwell Park, luckly I'm a short ass so the 3 seats in the back are perfect for me lol.

The van and snot side by side

Last edited:

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Took both the cars to Inters on the Sunday

And also took advantage of the 30% discount at Revo and had the van remapped with LVS Racing wasn't too impressed 20 miles into my day home with the map as the power seems to have raised in the revs.... not best for towing but further into the drive the van started to feel much better and one hill where I knew last week I had to drop into 5th, I could now take it in 6th. Once I unhitched the trailer and went for a spin, MY GOD it shifts now! Can't believe how hard it pulls, lets just hope I have no tired components now because I can't see them lasting long lol.

Had a few freebies to

Last edited:

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Thought I will get this up to date, it's been a while and I have nothing to report on the Ibiza at the moment so thought I get this done.

I've also been a fan of the retro french yellow fog lights they use to have back in the day, so i got myself some yellow tint off eBay and had a go of tinting my fog lights

You may have noticed the chrome bit is also missing from the grille, this is because I decided to get it Aqua Dipped in a carbon fibre effect.

Before

After

I'm not sure if it looks any better and nor do I think it looks crap but it's done now lol.

To help reduce some cabin noise inside, I noticed a few fellow members using a door deal from Car Builders to stick another seal on the inner door skin which is fitted to the Caravelle from factory but a fraction of the price than the Dealer seals.

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
i came across PP Tuning were making a dummy decat pipe for the T5's and started thinking about getting one. One boring night search on eBay to pass some time I came across someone selling on that they purchased from PP Tuning and never fitted, bided and get it for half the price compared to new.... Bargain!

Needed a bit of modification needed to fit perfectly so went to Long Life Exhausts to get that sorted. On the test drive home I opened it to see if the decat made any difference and the engine goes into limp mode!

A quick log on VAG Com and a few questions asked on the forums and the conclusion is the common turbo vanes are sticking.

Removed the decat pipe and refitted the Cat in case the Revo map wasn't liking the new addition but the some fault would happen when the engine was under load for a while. Under normal driving the van was fins so this can wait for the Ibiza to get back on track before getting fixed.

I've always thought the paint work could be a bit fresher and a new detailer opened up near by who is more concerned with using proper cleaning products and was producing some good results, so handed the van to Auto Fetish to work his magic.

Last edited:

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Since owning the T5 I've always missed cruise control after owning the Passat so purchased a retro fit kit on eBay a while ago and fitted that myself.

With the Ibiza out of my hands and finally down Saxon Motorsport, I started to look at the limp mode fault. The variable vanes on the turbo are stick in the high boost setting. Although I could easily live with this for a while but the engine was starting to get a feel of turbo lag low down and when logging again on VAG Com I noticed the "actual" boost was always higher than the requested boost whereas before this was much closer.

So I started looking into the difference between the 130 engine (mine) and the 174 engine which has Pendle Performance stated to me before is just the turbo (GT2052V) and a map.

The bonus with this too is that the 174 turbo is more reliable than the 130 turbo, £100 cheaper and give the engine more power! Winner in my eyes here, the manifold one the early 2.5 is common to cracking on cylinder 5 because it is pressed steel. Darkside have produced a cast version of this manifold which will no longer crack so since the turbo was coming off it would be silly not to replace the manifold. My luck is that if I didn't replace the manifold now it'll probably crack in the next 6 months!

I already had the dummy decat sitting in my garage so a phone call to Cybox and I placed an order for the 2.5" stainless exhaust system with one silencer on it.

While I was going on holidays for 2 and half weeks I thought that would be the ideal time to get the parts fitted and booked the van in for a remap with Darkside on my next day after my return home.

When I returned from my holiday I had a early start for a road trip up to see the guys at Darkside, worth people knowing this.... I had a Revo map previously and they put protection codes in to prevent people altering their maps so it would be worth getting this removed before getting a custom map.

Ryan and Scott at Darkside are awesome, the set up they have is so impressive! The place is huge and everything is arranged neatly.... very professional! Left my van with them do to the unexpected problems from the Revo map locking the ECU but they did provide me with transportation so I could get home and still go about getting to work etc... Had a phone call the next day to say the van is all sorted and the finally figures were 200 bhp with 360 lbs/ft of torque!

The drive home this afternoon was very enjoyable and the way the van picks up is amazing, upset a few "hot hatch cars" on the way thats for sure!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.