David Cook Motors looses Seat franchise

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Bit of a sad day really but David Cook motors of chadderton, Oldham are no longer a registered seat main dealer/repairer.

Drove past on tuesday and saw them taking the signs down and removing stock vehicles.

Last edited:

tony19b

Apr 12, 2007
Lancashire
David Cook Motors

I personally wish them all the best and will continue to use them. I've had great service there for many years.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
I worked for them for nearly 10 years, had great times there but I fear they may have been shat on from a great height by the manufacturer.

ayster

Mar 4, 2015
Manchester, UK
I was thinking of getting my Leon serviced there when the time comes! What are Lookers like for servicing?

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

ayster

Mar 4, 2015
Manchester, UK
Their website still shows they are a Seat dealer and servicer(?) Maybe they are refurbing?
Edit. Just tried clicking on new seat cars and get a 404 error :(
Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
yep they're no longer on seat or Revo's website as a dealer.

They're still a vat registered garage so your warranty will remain intact but good will in the fourth year might be affected.

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
Just go a letter in the post from SEAT saying that David Cooks will no longer be selling or servicing SEAT cars and they hope to have a replacement dealer 'shortly'

Personally, I don't want to go to Stockport, Huddersfield or Warrington (where the letter states my other nearest dealers are) there all a pain in the backside to get to.

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
I got the letter today too, have bought many cars from David Cooks. For servicing I've always used the old seat dealer Premier Garages in Leek Staffordshire who are still Approved for seat servicing/warranty work. The master tech at Leek is a good guy. I live in Macclesfield so it was always more convenient for me than going to Oldham anyway. I hate Lookers in Stockport and will never use them, awful company and poor service.

Last edited:

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
I can understand why they were reluctant to spend half a million pounds on a showroom in a building worth less than half of that. There's more to it than that but it's not for open discussion.

I think it's pretty harsh that seat are sending out letters informing current customers to look elsewhere when cooks has given them nearly 30 years worth of business.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Thats crap news, yet another North West family/small SEAT dealer losing their franchise.

Poor show from SEAT UK to leave Greater Manchester so poorly served for it existing customers.

Two dealers of the same Lookers group to serve the whole area. A group I personally would not deal with, due to my experience of their pushy sales tactics and poor after sales service.

I used to use Erskines in Stockport, great dealer, brilliant to deal with but they wouldn't invest in all the corporate branding which incidentally has no effect on my decision to buy a car, and then SEAT pulled their franchise.

As MJ knows, I bought my present car from David Cooks, and I have been very happy with the service I have received.

Sadly if this is the future of the SEAT brand in Greater Manchester the Leon is likely to be the last New SEAT I buy, and for someone that has dedicated a large portion of my free time over the past 16-17 years promoting the virtues of the SEAT brand as a founding member of this forum and website, that is a disappointing state of affairs.

Last edited:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Its worth noting to anyone who uses David Cook for servicing work, SEAT's letter regarding that David Cooks can no longer service your vehicle (even if its under 3 years old) are inaccurate, misguided and against the EU Block Exemption rules.

A recent case (April 2015) reveals quite how wrong SEAT are sending out letters regarding servicing to customers, is highlighted by IAAF (Independent Automotive Aftermarket Federation) against BMW.

http://www.iaaf.co.uk/news/article.php?news_id=184

However it is also worth considering that if your vehicle is financed under a PCP deal, then the manufacturer/finance provider may stipulate that the vehicle must be serviced by a member of the manufacturers dealer network. Its worth checking the small print that you signed in that regard. Though that in itself appears a fairly underhand rule by the manufacturer and something that really should be challenged.

Last edited:

Feb 17, 2015
Manchester
Go there today to pick up the bodykit for my Leon really helpful bunch of guys.

By the way they are clearing out their SEAT parts. So maybe someone can find a bargain there.

tony19b

Apr 12, 2007
Lancashire
Contrary to the misleading letter sent by SEAT UK, David Cook Motors will continue to service and repair Seat cars, including cars under warranty, and I for one will continue to use them. Whether I will buy another Seat is another matter. My Altea has been brilliant and completely fault free but I am disillusioned with this manufacturer.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
The only 2 things they will no longer be able to do is:

sell new seat cars
repair warranty faults

seats tactics are very cut throat and have disappointed a lot of people.