New clutch needed!

FandangoDanby

Jul 8, 2012
Hi Lads,

So I remapped my LCR about 3 years ago when I bought her, she'd done 108k when I came into possession and I always found the remap a bit slippy on the clutch, luckily I spruced up the purchase with an OBD unit that can put the map on and off whenever I like so I just ran in original when the clutch was getting annoyingly slick. Anyway long story short it's started slipping in original now, she's not running anything major other an a stage 1, Forge 008 and a Forge TIP currently, so what's the best clutch to go for? I'm told the LUK clutches can handle the increased torque from a stage 1 and I don't intend to go for big power later on down the road she's lovely as she is.

So are the LUK's the ones to go for? If so where's the best price you guys have found?

Last edited:

Dave_c85

Dec 1, 2013
I just got a LUK clutch for my stage 1 LCR and so far so good, and it was an LUK one that came off it and that had no issues at all (it was the release bearing that failed). Eurocarparts is cheapest I could find, I got a discount code too but was for October only, but you should find one easy enough if you search online.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

the parrot

Feb 19, 2014
Ireland
one thing to watch out for is you will more than likly need a new dual mass at that mileage.
mine was fairly bad when i did it at 107k and we went with a valeo smf kit. havent looked back since

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
If you intend of doing the work your self I would pick up a new flywheel with the mileage on the vehicle very likely you'll need one leave it in the packaging and perfectly easy to return to ECP if it isn't needed but least then you're not stuck with the gearbox out trying to get a lift to the parts store.

eddie_cupra

Mar 12, 2015
Berkshire
How do you know if you need a new flywheel? I thought with the Dual Mass Fly wheels need doing when they start rattling, so if it not rattling...

FandangoDanby

Jul 8, 2012
I was going to replace the DMF anyway :) I did look at the SMF kits, but I've watched the videos and I don't think I could stand that chatter at idle, I cover a thousand miles a week for work and that would do my nut in haha.

I've been looking around and I've found 3 viable options, first is CG motorsports stage 1 road clutch, should easily handle the increased power. Second is a Helix clutch, again a stage 1. Third is a Sachs uprated clutch with sintered plate (451 ft/lb's of torque rating).

Thats also in order of cost. So, what's everyones thoughts on these clutches? Any one used any of them and can give decent feedback? If I'm going to spend this amount of money out I want it right first time!

the parrot

Feb 19, 2014
Ireland
on the petrol, there is little to no clutch rattle. only time i have noticed it is a tiny noise once warm. like a slight ticking. and thats when bonnet is open and your in front of the car.
thats with the valeo kit anyway.
the cg ones i have heard can be very loud

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.