SEAT experts, need your help with a whine (Not the Pinot type!)

cupracooper

Somewhere in the middle
Jan 19, 2004
Warwickshire
Visit site
Just bought a MY59 1.9 Altea XL from a Dealer and I got a unknown noise.
Not sure if annoying "characteristic" of this model or something is failing.

Had a road test with a SEAT technician today, can hear the noise no problems... but no idea what it is or where its coming from.

Sounds a bit like gearbox whine, but its a bit of weird one.

Symptoms as follows:
  • Whine noise only at 46-50 mph on very light throttle.
  • Does it in 3rd, 4th and 5th (most noticeable in 4th and 5th)
  • Doesn't change pitch with revs or steering.
  • Stops immediately if you lift off or dip the clutch
  • Not noticeable if hard on accelerator (probably as 46-50 goes past quickly)

60k on the clock. Car has just had service and timing belt done @ main dealer.

Any ideas??

Last edited:

SeatJay

Jul 25, 2015
I have a Turbo whine on mine but starts a lot earlier than you are describing here. Other noise I had was a squeeling noise which I think I have traced back to Alternator Clutch Pully which I will hopefully do in the next couple of weekends.

cupracooper

Somewhere in the middle
Jan 19, 2004
Warwickshire
Visit site
did the noise present after the timing belt was changed?

Don't know sorry... Test drove car and didn't notice the whine, test drive was around town (30mph) and dual carriage way (60-70) so probably would have missed it even if present before.
When I came to collect car week later the belt & WP done as part of purchase.

cupracooper

Somewhere in the middle
Jan 19, 2004
Warwickshire
Visit site
I have a Turbo whine on mine but starts a lot earlier than you are describing here. Other noise I had was a squeeling noise which I think I have traced back to Alternator Clutch Pully which I will hopefully do in the next couple of weekends.

Do either of your noises occur under similar conditions, eg light throttle only, disappear when clutch depressed?

SeatJay

Jul 25, 2015
Do either of your noises occur under similar conditions, eg light throttle only, disappear when clutch depressed?

Mine comes in around 14-1500 revs and goes once the car warms up. I also get the squeel at low revs when pulling away and usually when the powersteering is engaged.

I think I have isolated the problems to occaisional stuck veins on the turbo which the cleaner has sorted (forte) and the alternator clutch pulley which I have the part and belt for.

Will let you know how I get on with the clutch pulley squeeling noise.