2005 Mk1 Leon FR TDi - what standard colours were produced? any buying tips?

HayleyS

Nov 26, 2007
South Wales
I've 99% concluded that I am now looking for an FR+ TDi :funk:
Now the waiting game of finding exactly what I want and the best car we feel confident will stay with me for years to come.

All i'm seeing is black, silver, the occasional grey and very rarely red. Were there any other colours (yellow, blue)?
Which colours are the most popular and which tend to be sought after?

I start looking more seriously from next week, not in any particular rush as my current car will remain on the road until the next one comes along and is ready to go :) I'll be looking for a standard car, no engine mods but wouldn't mind lowered slightly etc. if it's a proper job.

Any tips on what to look for when buying this particular model - common faults/issues?
I'll be looking for lowish mileage (we've owned many higher mileage SEATs/VWs inc. my current VW but i'd like to start lower if poss with the aim on holding onto it for a long while to come), full S/H with receipts for work done such as timing belt, generally a car that's been looked after and not passed around or messed with, which feels genuine.
We encountered the old leaky-door issue with both our old SEATs so that's an easy fix. The 130 Toledo TDi we had was a great example so that helps us with what to look for and out of the 2 cars i've looked at already one was really quiet compared to the other, so we know now what sounds 'right'.
Anything else i'd be grateful to know!

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
The standard colours were: Black (in 2 shades IIRC), Grey, Silver, Red, Yellow, Blue.
Of which the Blue was rarest - not sure if they made FR+ in this colour tho :shrug:

Earlier versions of the Cupra also came in a Bronze colour

HayleyS

Nov 26, 2007
South Wales
Two shades of black? Wow I thought black was black lol
Not a huge choice then, I'm yet to see a yellow one but it's not my color anyway.
One I'm hoping to look at is black so it'll be interesting to see what shade it is lol

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
One is metallic, one is flat.

I think they only did the FR+ in metallic black magic.

There is a yellow FR+ on Autotrader

nigxl

Jan 12, 2013
Wales
You may find that the FR is low enough. Mine is standard and some tyre places have to lift the car slightly to get the jack underneath.
Good luck with your search, don't seem to be that many low milers around.
Black is best IMO :)

Last edited:

Born2bwild

Sep 20, 2014
I'd say blacks a nice colour of car to have but only when they're clean! They do look stunning after being polished but they're a nightmare to keep that way, swirlmarks show up easier etc so I'd save myself the hassle and go for another colour. Sure there's the odd yellow one around but a lot suffer from laquer peel. I had a 'moondust' silver FR TDI which was pretty easy to keep clean and hid minor imperfections better than others - it was more of a blue shade of silver if you know what I mean, you'd probably need to see it inthe flesh so to speak, next to a proper silver car to tell the difference.

If I were to have another I'd go for either a red or platinum grey FR+ without a doubt...

FR Plus

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.