leak in the boot

markthornton

Nov 7, 2015
Hi I'm after some help with a leak.
I've got the problem where my alarm is going off and a faint boot open warning light is on.
There seems to be water coming in where the boot interior light is, but I can't find where it's actually coming in from.
I've unplugged the boot open sensor, the rear wiper works as does the washer.
Any ideas please you kind people.
Thanks.
Mark.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
The rear washer has a tendancy to leak where the pipe from the washer bottle joins the rear motor assembly. That can spray water around in all directions.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Thanks for the reply
Is that Even if the rear washer isn't used?

No only when the washer is used...... Unusual to have a leak in the boot, not had any experience of it so can't be of more help other than saying to check the rubber surrounds and the rear light clusters are fitted properly. Maybe get a mate to spray the boot with a hosepipe while you lay inside and look for water getting in.

Last edited:

rob929

Dec 27, 2012
plymouth
Hi. I had a leak in the same place. It turned out to be leaking from where the boot lid hinge locates. I took the cover off around the hinge (the black plastic) cleaned it all up and got a torch to have a look. I could see a crack in the seam sealer. Covered with silicon sealent. Been dry since.

markthornton

Nov 7, 2015
Hi. I had a leak in the same place. It turned out to be leaking from where the boot lid hinge locates. I took the cover off around the hinge (the black plastic) cleaned it all up and got a torch to have a look. I could see a crack in the seam sealer. Covered with silicon sealent. Been dry since.

Was yours leaking through you boot interior light? I honestly can't find where it's coming from. It's not streaming in or anything but it's enough to steam my windows up.
Just done all doors as well because the back footwell was soaking.
Cheers.

rob929

Dec 27, 2012
plymouth
Kind of. It was all over the side carpet and the parcel shelf plastic supports. I took it all out and could see it coming from the roof line.

markthornton

Nov 7, 2015
I think that's gotta be my next move, strip the bloody lot out and get a mate to spray it all over.
Thanks for your help.

rob929

Dec 27, 2012
plymouth
No worries. When you strip it out you will see that there aint a lot of places it can come from. Also check all the joints of the body panals around the top of the boot opening mate. The seam sealer can crack with age and let water in. Keep us posted with what you find. Cheers☺

markthornton

Nov 7, 2015
Well I've spent all day finding this leak, stripped the whole boot, sealed stuff that didn't need sealing and it's the boot hinge that's leaking, I can't for love or money seal the bloody thing.
Anyone got any tips apart from taking the boot off and doing it?
Tia
Mark

rob929

Dec 27, 2012
plymouth
Hi bud. Sounds like me. Took me ages to find my leak as well. When i sealed mine it was leaking on the original seam sealer. I roughed it up the best i could then put a bead of silicone over it. Have you took the black plastic hinge cover off?

hammiegt

Nov 3, 2015
Just done mine, stripped all the boot trim out and the light grey trim parts too, which go up either side of the hatch, mine was leaking from the seam sealant, and running down the inside and dripping into the boot, was filling the corners too where the flap vent things are, took hinge trims off, and used silicone on and around all the seam sealant and also filled the holes where the trims were held on, have not put the hinge trims back on, and also where the body panels are joined at the top, seems to have done the trick
cheers hammie

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.