Creeking windows

scParker

Mar 17, 2015
hey guys .... I have. Mk3 3 door 184 Leon FR I'm currently suffering from noises from my windows just from normal use .... Creeking/rattling noise anyone eles had this problem ? Been back to Seat twice and they still haven't solved it ...

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Yep I have it, just learned to deal with it tho it's very annoying!

Seems worse when it's warm. When your washing the car and put any pressure on the glass it creeks.

scParker

Mar 17, 2015
by any chance to get on your drive do you need to go up a curb ? i know it sounds odd but my friend has a leon and he has a drop curb and his windows aren't creeking... wasn't sure if that might be the issue!

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
I find that mine will creek more when going over speed ramps or coming down off a kerb but depending on the road surface / speed they will also creek but more so when its warm.

I think the creeking is the glass moving against the rubber seal.

Aardvark

Apr 24, 2014
Leeds, Yorkshire
I am sure there is a whole thread about this problem already.

Many people have suggested lubing the window rubber with Sonax Gummipflege or other rubber lubricant.

Fortunately before I did this I mentioned it to a lad at work, his Dad was head of Service quality for Audi Group in NW England and his recommendation was that I had cause it myself by waxing the door shuts and applying a UV protectant (Aeropsace 303) to the outside of the window rubbers to prevent UV fading.

I was advised to wash and strip off any wax on the door shuts and any 303 that was on the rubbers where they abutted the door shuts.

I used some soap and water ( fairy liquid) and hen dried and went over with some Nilco Nilglass on a synthetic shammy.

Creaking stopped!

I now wax my car with the doors shut and I don't wax inside the door shuts. I also wipe around the window frames with Nilglass after each wash and wax.....no creaks

28,000 miles and no creaks.

twitchynik

Sep 12, 2006
+1

I have creaking doors and have put it down to cleaning the door shuts and finishing off with the microfibre cloths I've used when drying with Autoglym Aqua Wax.

Never had this noise with the FR. Never cleaned the shuts like I do with the Cupra.

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
Creaking only started on our FR after a liberal dose of Einszett Gummipflege on the rubber door seals. I cleaned the seals and doors today with a strong solution of Surfex HD APC, rinsed off and dried. It's a little better so will try a further clean with Nilglass as suggested above.

scParker

Mar 17, 2015
I am sure there is a whole thread about this problem already.

Many people have suggested lubing the window rubber with Sonax Gummipflege or other rubber lubricant.

Fortunately before I did this I mentioned it to a lad at work, his Dad was head of Service quality for Audi Group in NW England and his recommendation was that I had cause it myself by waxing the door shuts and applying a UV protectant (Aeropsace 303) to the outside of the window rubbers to prevent UV fading.

I was advised to wash and strip off any wax on the door shuts and any 303 that was on the rubbers where they abutted the door shuts.

I used some soap and water ( fairy liquid) and hen dried and went over with some Nilco Nilglass on a synthetic shammy.

Creaking stopped!

I now wax my car with the doors shut and I don't wax inside the door shuts. I also wipe around the window frames with Nilglass after each wash and wax.....no creaks

28,000 miles and no creaks.
so did you think it was a creaking window then it turned out to be the doorshuts?

Aardvark

Apr 24, 2014
Leeds, Yorkshire
Hi yes

The window was creaking , or there was a noise coming from the window during driving. When pressure was applied to the door frame or window it could be reproduced at standstill.

My friend's Dad was convinced that this noise was coming from where the window frame rubbers met the door shuts as this is what they had found on Audi's and not from the glass on the rubber.

I was further convinced when we could recreate the noise with the window wound fully down.

Cleaning the door shuts and window rubbers solved the problem.

Using snow foam with wax additive and waxing the car all make the noise return unless care is taken to wipe down the door shuts and window rubbers with an uncontaminated cloth and or possibly some Nilglass or Autoglym fast glass after leathering off.

I still use 303 on the external part of the window rubber but I take great care not to contaminate the area with the felt effect that meets the door shuts.

scParker

Mar 17, 2015
Hi yes

The window was creaking , or there was a noise coming from the window during driving. When pressure was applied to the door frame or window it could be reproduced at standstill.

My friend's Dad was convinced that this noise was coming from where the window frame rubbers met the door shuts as this is what they had found on Audi's and not from the glass on the rubber.

I was further convinced when we could recreate the noise with the window wound fully down.

Cleaning the door shuts and window rubbers solved the problem.

Using snow foam with wax additive and waxing the car all make the noise return unless care is taken to wipe down the door shuts and window rubbers with an uncontaminated cloth and or possibly some Nilglass or Autoglym fast glass after leathering off.

I still use 303 on the external part of the window rubber but I take great care not to contaminate the area with the felt effect that meets the door shuts.

So you would recommend washing the door shuts with soap and water , then wiping down then applying some auto glym fast glass ? What about the felt which meets the door shut , did you wash and wipe that down aswell ?

Btw I do appreciate you taking your time to answer these questions ! This creaking is driving my nuts !

Aardvark

Apr 24, 2014
Leeds, Yorkshire
So you would recommend washing the door shuts with soap and water , then wiping down then applying some auto glym fast glass ? What about the felt which meets the door shut , did you wash and wipe that down aswell ?

Btw I do appreciate you taking your time to answer these questions ! This creaking is driving my nuts !

No problem, glad to help

Yes when first identified I washed down the door shuts and the felt part of the rubbers with fairy liquid, dried off and then wiped with AG fastglass and dried off once more.

Now all I do after washing or waxing my car is open the doors and wipe over the door shuts and felt on rubbers with Nilglass and then buff dry with a CLEAN microfiber.

I would use AG fastglass but I ran out and I replaced it with Nilglass which cost me 5 quid for the 1 litre spray.

Do remember that other than my 303 on the outside of the rubbers and wax on the door shuts, I never actually lubed the rubbers with silicone directly.

I am glad I took this route but other have gone down the gummipflege route and lubed the heck out of the rubbers and the shuts.

scParker

Mar 17, 2015
It's worked !! I didn't put any fast glass on ... I just washed with fairy liquid and dried , and then repeated it, then I took the Leon out for a drive and it's now creak free ! Thank you so much , it's really appreciated :D

Aardvark

Apr 24, 2014
Leeds, Yorkshire
It's worked !! I didn't put any fast glass on ... I just washed with fairy liquid and dried , and then repeated it, then I took the Leon out for a drive and it's now creak free ! Thank you so much , it's really appreciated :D

Fantastic.:D

I will just wipe mine over with some dilute FL and dry with a clean towel from now on as well.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise