Leon SC FR 1.8 petrol DSG M.P.G.

TonyFSC

Jun 20, 2015
Hi,
I was looking at the manufacturers mpg figures for my car.
I drive normally and get just under 35 mpg.
As performance is not good enough in 'D', I drive quite a lot in 'S'.
Manufacturers figures are just under 50 mpg overall, urban and extra urban.
I suppose this is not surprising when you consider the mpg test allows 60 seconds to accelerate to 60 mph, no wind factor and no hills to climb, as the test is on a rolling road. I think a fan is on to keep the radiator cool. I bet tyres are over inflated too.
So the co2 obtained under test will never be obtained on the road and all co2 figures are nonsense and no cars ever achieve the stated co2.
What mpg do others get?
Tony

soziblewuup

May 12, 2015
I have a 14 plate SC 1.8 FR DSG. I usually drive in D as I do a fair bit of motorway driving, occasionally going for S when I fancy it.

Since I got it in April, I think the display suggests I've achieved on average 38MPG.

Do you get a lurch when coming close to a stop in S? The downshift between 3 and 2 (I think) seems to always lurch the car forward. I find it fairly annoying and don't get that in D.

Last edited:

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
Do you get a lurch when coming close to a stop in S? The downshift between 3 and 2 (I think) seems to always lurch the car forward. I find it fairly annoying and don't get that in D.[/QUOTE]

That'll be the 2nd gear ratio being too low, I have the same on my 184 DSG, 1st and 2nd are both wrong as far as I'm concerned.
I don't know why they are like that, maybe to protect the dual clutches on pulling away I suppose, but it does detract from an otherwise good gearbox.
No one else (as far as I have seen) has ever commented on it so I assumed it was just me being fussy, but I've had close ratio 'boxes in rally cars and it makes a huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soziblewuup

May 12, 2015
No, in my opinion, you are not being fussy. It's really quite annoying when driving around a town / city when having to come to a stop on a regular basis. I now don't use S unless I'm on quieter roads where I don't have to come to a stop all the time.

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
Me too, I stick to D, and use S or the paddles for a burst of speed.
I think I went a bit off topic so apologies TonyFSC!

TonyFSC

Jun 20, 2015
Kind of intrigued to see if Tony experiences this.

Yes I do and have posted that I think up changes happen too early and down changes happen too early. This is most noticeable with 3rd and 2nd.
The DSG is not as well mapped as on my Fabia vRS, recently traded in.
Tony

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
I did read somewhere that the DSG could be re-mapped, but I won't be doing that whilst I have a warranty on the car!
I also have a tuning box fitted that gives huge grunt, but I'll start another thread about that.
Is your DSG a 6 or 7 speed Tony? I had an idea that it was 7 speed on the 180 petrol which I thought might give better ratios...

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
30.8mpg average here. Mainly short journeys in very hilly terrain.

IMHO 2nd is quite a low ratio on the 7-speed DSG. 1st is a crawler gear to protect the clutch and 7th is definitely an overdrive gear. This does leave you with 5 genuinely useful ratios though.

Last edited:

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
That's one more useful one than my 6 speed diesel then! Even 3rd is a bit low on mine, but then it has to be because 2nd is where 1st should be and 1st is plain silly!!!

Last edited:

TonyFSC

Jun 20, 2015
I did read somewhere that the DSG could be re-mapped, but I won't be doing that whilst I have a warranty on the car!
I also have a tuning box fitted that gives huge grunt, but I'll start another thread about that.
Is your DSG a 6 or 7 speed Tony? I had an idea that it was 7 speed on the 180 petrol which I thought might give better ratios...

It's a 7 speed. Nothing wrong with the ratios, it's when they are selected which is not quite right.
My Fabia vRS was much nippier in 'D' and insane in 'S', hence I never used it. Better mpg, by the way.
'S' never went higher than 5th and that would have taken it to 140 mph, the maximum.
A software tweak would make a great car fantastic.
Tony

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.