yet another leaky thread - somewhat different

moone

Feb 24, 2013
I've checked the massive thread about potential leaks on this forum, and sort of read 80+ pages of it and I am still confused what it could be! Before I start stripping my car further thought to ask you guys to shed some light...

Car for some time had this musty/damp smell but checked carpets and they seem fine (except driver's foot well). It wasn't totally wet but you could tell it had some damp to it.
Moving on, for past week it was heavily raining here and when I got in to car I could definitely feel wet carpet. It wasn't litres of water but it was wet enough to feel it by touch - and also smell got stronger. So thought well, let's get it sorted. I was just about to strip the door but decided to check what's happening under the carpet... and that floor insulation mat was completely soaked in water (horrible smell!). It is now drying in shed.. so let's find the leak.

Now I tried to paste image hosted at imgur but it said I need 15 posts to do that :( So I am pasting just the link here.
i.imgur.com/hHlqAFY.jpg

Once you look at the photo this is where I can see small puddles of water appearing overnight. Could it be that bulkhead leak issue some people suggested on this forum? Should I start stripping my dashboard in order to rectify this? Could it be anything else. I sort of ruled out the usual door card seal.. as it is too high for water to be forming there (especially overnight as car is not being driven).

Any other ideas?
Additionally do you know where I could buy floor insulation replacement? (part number: 1J2 863 919 J - Insulation for floor). I was able to find the part number for it, but usual places do not list such item?

Sorry for a long post...

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
bonnet cable , but going by your logic it would be wet above your arrow as its running down from the bulk head if that makes sense.

theres nothing to stop the water in the soundproofing collecting when on a slope or soaking and climbing upwards to hit that spot.

Strip a door if it has anything other than buytl strip as a seal its sure to be leaking. You could remove carpets and trim comletely and get a hose on the doors/windows to show the culprit

moone

Feb 24, 2013
bonnet cable , but going by your logic it would be wet above your arrow as its running down from the bulk head if that makes sense.

It actually is wet above the arrow :(
It look to be coming from above the arrow, then the sound deadening mat absorbs and when it can absorb no more it drip further down, into the foot well area.

Strip a door if it has anything other than buytl strip as a seal its sure to be leaking. You could remove carpets and trim comletely and get a hose on the doors/windows to show the culprit

I think I will be doing the door anyway - would hate if after fixing the other leak it happen from the door. Removing whole carpet look like a lot of work. Could it not be like portable steam wash or something? It only got wet in the drivers footwell.

My main concern is sourcing a replacement mat (under carpet floor insulation). I tried to wash it, but it still smells... waiting for it to dry tho.

Last edited:

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
I had the bonnet release, boost gauge pipe, sender wires all running through the bonnet release grommit so it was very stretched and Id get the odd droplet appearing in the cabin but not enough to soak anything which is why i think your doors are still the main issue.

To get access you need to remove the grill above the scuttle panel and the grommet is in the drivers side corner. Theres drain holes so if the skuttle area is covered in leaves ect that could add to the problem. chuck some water at it and you should see water draining nr the wheel arches.

mildew wise try fabric softener or febreeze on the sound proofing once its dry, it should mask it but also stop it getting worse. It a pig drying it, stunk the house out but you do get to drive the car without the carpets ect so it sounds like a BTCC car for a few days :D

worth giving the skuttle a good clean and test it drains ok and sort the doors. Should be 100% leak free.

Better to dry the one you have , id bet and soundproofing from the scrappy will be wet and i doubt a dealer replacement will be cheap. You could ask Dave a Sere for an idea of price http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=249

Last edited:

moone

Feb 24, 2013
Right people, I'm still nowhere close resolving this. I had a go today but due to lack of garage had to work around rain (which seem to be relentless here in Yorkshire).

Regardless if my door is leaky or not. I poured a lot of water over opened and closed door today and I couldn't really see doorcard leaking. Maybe an odd drop or two, but surely not enough to cause so much water in the footwell. Last night was bone dry, today morning I had glass of water.

Now for the door, I got all the parts now, so will re-seal doors just in case tomorrow, or maybe next week if weather permits. But main cause of the leak must come from a different source.

I think Nigxl, you are on something as my source of the leak is almost what you are describing.
I still cannot upload pictures so if you don't mind checking below photo (by pasting it to web browser):

i.imgur.com/6NCMSbC.jpg

Today I removed scuttle panel, there were some leaves and some muck there so cleared that and poured a lot of water over cable release bung... and had no water at all. Yet when I close the driver's door and pour water over top of the door/pillar A area, it seem to trickle down.

On the picture I marked "A" as bonnet release cable and it is not coming from that way, it seem to trickle around that yellow'ish thing just behind electric cables (marked as B).

On a side note I am not sure what that yellowish thing is? It's sticky, so I wonder if maybe previous owner tried to seal that area with something. I will try tomorrow remove the arch liner and see if there is anything obvious there.

Is removing lower dash (under steering wheel) a big job, as it seem if I remove that bit, I may be able to see exactly where it is coming from?

nigxl

Jan 12, 2013
Wales
Sounds like it's certainly the bung in the pillar.
Get the arch liner off and seal the bung before removing anything else, make sure it's clean before you fit it with silicon in the groove.

moone

Feb 24, 2013
Thanks for the lower dash removal guide - do I need to disconnect battery? or can I leave it in place?

Also, I've planned to do some work today but it rained most of the day again. Need to find someone with garage for weekend here in Leeds. So just collecting needed parts? Do you guys just use normal bathroom type sealant or is it better to buy specific product for such job?

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Always best to disconnect it, but there's no real need to for removing the lower dash as long as you are very careful not to touch any of those live terminals by the relays. I'm pretty sure one of those connections is something like 100amps and would cause a hell of a burn if you touch it with a spanner etc

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members