H7R Kits YES or NO

unerdanielson

Oct 27, 2009
I know the rules about aftermarket HID kits have changed but after a terrifying drive on a country road in the dark and rain I realised how poor halogens are. Just wanted to know who's running the H7R kits and do you get any trouble with them and are they worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 6, 2013
Thatcham, Berkshire

Why? A decent is way better than standard halogen bulbs.

I know the rules about aftermarket HID kits have changed but after a terrifying drive on a country road in the dark and rain I realised how poor halogens are. Just wanted to know who's running the H7R kits and do you get any trouble with them and are they worth it?

I am ruuning a H7r 35w kit from HID Direct. Only had one issue which i think was to do with the ballasts but it seems to have fixed itself.

Updown789

Apr 2, 2014
Why? A decent is way better than standard halogen bulbs.

I am ruuning a H7r 35w kit from HID Direct. Only had one issue which i think was to do with the ballasts but it seems to have fixed itself.

Ever looked at a beam pattern of a hid kit? Even a h7r is wrong. You WILL br blinding oncoming traffic

lsg60

Mar 31, 2014
They just don't work unless you have projector lenses, they're to bright and don't create a beam patten and have like no range at all, I swapped my hids out for osram nightbrakers much better but still Tosh.

sssingletrack

Oct 25, 2015
All the cars I've owned have had halogen bulbs fitted. Albeit Phillips xtreme vision 100%/130% in H4 headlights and now Bosch Pure lights to the H7 lights in my Ibiza, based on one of the tests online.

Unless your eyesight is bad, a decent halogen bulb should produce plenty of light onto the road. If the lights are correctly set and clean.

HID kits do not work in a reflector headlamp, irrelevant of what the sellers might tell you..A HID lamp does not have a filament like a Halogen, therefore the light source is in the wrong place and thus creates the wrong pattern.

Sent from my C55 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

unerdanielson

Oct 27, 2009
Fair enough, I guess saving up for projector headlamps is the way forward.

robthebubble

LED & Headlight Master
Feb 22, 2011
Solihull, West Midlands
H7R will not blind oncoming drivers....I've done extensive testing. When used only the top of the reflector receives the light from the hid and so shines down onto the road. The issue with standard hids in reflectors is the the bottom of the reflector reflects the light up and this is what causes the blinding light.

You can go down the rout of projectors....either OEM lights = fortune (£1500 +) or have some aftermarket projectors made (these will pass MOT etc) and use standard hids, don't dazzle and really light up the road!

I know a man who can make the for you! ;-)

unerdanielson

Oct 27, 2009
H7R will not blind oncoming drivers....I've done extensive testing. When used only the top of the reflector receives the light from the hid and so shines down onto the road. The issue with standard hids in reflectors is the the bottom of the reflector reflects the light up and this is what causes the blinding light.

You can go down the rout of projectors....either OEM lights = fortune (£1500 +) or have some aftermarket projectors made (these will pass MOT etc) and use standard hids, don't dazzle and really light up the road!

Thanks for the info Rob. That's what I was hoping for with H7R's. I'm in the middle of moving house otherwise I'd have had your projectors you had up for sale off you.

unerdanielson

Oct 27, 2009
Am I too assume the people on here using H7R's are using the Terminator kits? Heard these are the reliable Canbus Friendly ones?

robthebubble

LED & Headlight Master
Feb 22, 2011
Solihull, West Midlands
Thanks for the info Rob. That's what I was hoping for with H7R's. I'm in the middle of moving house otherwise I'd have had your projectors you had up for sale off you.

Worth having the as it means you can drive safely in the dark to your new house! :D

As for the canbus ballasts, it doesn't really matter as long as they are canbus. You can get a set from hidsdirect and I think they come with 2 years warranty.

Aug 6, 2013
Thatcham, Berkshire

I havent been stopped by an cop with H7R's installed. Might have to try projector lenses at some point.

Am I too assume the people on here using H7R's are using the Terminator kits? Heard these are the reliable Canbus Friendly ones?

Dont have any canbus issues with mine. Did have a small issue with the ballasts but that sorted itself out.

unerdanielson

Oct 27, 2009
What colour temperature would people recommend? 5000k or 6000k? I'm just wanting a nice bright white light with better vision. No hints of yellow light.

Updown789

Apr 2, 2014
You realise that a h7 illuminates the bottom of the reflector right? There is no inbuilt glare shield in a h7. The reason that all hids in reflectors blind everyone is that the light is emitted from a point further back in the reflector than a standard halogen, which causes scattered light to blind everyone.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.