Brake upgrades

Theog

Nov 15, 2015
Afternoon all

I chipped by mk4 fr 130 tdi a while back to add a few more phonies. Very happy with that however the other day someone pulled out of a junction that forced me to slam the brakes on. The results were worrying. Didnt crash but the brakes were terrible. The abs was shuddering away but very little shopping was taking place.

Im useless with the technical side of things but i have a feeling by brakes are old and frozen up or something. My wifes mitsubishi colt stops faster.

It passed mot and had new pads in, so not sure what to do.

I was thinking of just upgrading anyway just for reasurance. Can anyone shed some light or recommend mid/ high end full brake replacements and any ideas of costs would be ace.

Cheers in advance

Theo

Chino_UK

Team Creatine
Jul 19, 2009
Cheadle, Cheshire
very good question. I don't actually know! Would they mention that in service history?

It should be, but it's a fairly low cost thing that can really improve your braking if it hasn't been done for several years. The options are better pads/discs/braided hoses on standard sizing, or you could go up to a 312mm setup using mk1 audi TT calipers and carriers (although this may well work out around hte same costas upgrading all your standard items). Once you go beyond that you're looking at 4pots upwards and this gets rather pricey.
For the records, I've been running stage 2 on my 20vt on black diamond discs, decent pads and changing fluid every two years and it's been fine for me. Not sure if the TDi might be a heavier vehicle though?

Last edited:

Theog

Nov 15, 2015
It should be, but it's a fairly low cost thing that can really improve your braking if it hasn't been done for several years. The options are better pads/discs/braided hoses on standard sizing, or you could go up to a 312mm setup using mk1 audi TT calipers and carriers (although this may well work out around hte same costas upgrading all your standard items). Once you go beyond that you're looking at 4pots upwards and this gets rather pricey.
For the records, I've been running stage 2 on my 20vt on black diamond discs, decent pads and changing fluid every two years and it's been fine for me. Not sure if the TDi might be a heavier vehicle though?

hmm yeah i think it may have been a while. Just phoned up my insurance (LV.com) and they say it wont cost my insurance anymore to upgrade my brakes, so its tempting to do it anyways.

You said about the 312mm mk1 Audi TT set up... would that mean i have to get new alloys or will that be fine? I currently have the standard FR wheels.

I'm pretty sure TT brakes would be adequate. I'm looking for an improvement not full stock racing car.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.