Which TYRES 225/45/17

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
Good choice and good price!

They did well in the latest german Auto Test.
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2009-Auto-Zeitung-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

Quite a different result to Evo's test. Think this test seems to be the bench standard.

I've decided to go with the F1 Assymetrics again!...
This is purely to match the other 2 that's on there and also it's been a pain to get hold of Vredsteins in my area at reasonable cost, most dealers were quoting inflated prices purely as they'd have to buy them in as 3rd party.

Thanks everyone for your comments, keep them coming ..as next time I need 2 new corners want to try something different to the F1 Assymetrcs.

Will let you know how these feel after they are fitted.

This is my third set mate... ;)

You wont go wrong with the Assymetrics [B)]

leonrob

allways inovating
Jan 5, 2010
I swear by Uniroyal Rainsports. Very good in the dry and superb in the wet. I've also been pleasantly surprised how good they've been in the snow despite only having about 4mm tread on the front

ive heard very good things about these and have a friend who will only buy these tyres hee had them on his clio then mk3 golf then mk4 golf so he was impressed

CH1

Jul 6, 2004
Ordered the 2xF1 Assymetrics today, got a call they were in, so went to get them fitted.

When I got there they were busy said it'd take an hour so I went out and came back, only to find when I got back they had been sent the wrong tyre!

1 was GoodYear Excellence Grip and he other was ok i.e F1 Assymetric. They asked if I wante to get those fitted saying they both have the same asymmetric pattern. No way! I asked them to get me another F1 Assymetric! So still waiting for these to be fitted.

They swapped the rears (my old F1 Assym. on to front), balanced and checked tyre pressures, car has feels more grippy, but the steering wheel seems harder to turn...?

Yeah, heard good reports on the uniroyal Rainsports, gosh so many tyres to chose , wish I could try them all!

mjthompson

Just ordered new Hankook Evo V12's... £260 for all four :)

Mr OCD, i have been looking at the Hankooks for my FR TDi and think thats what i'm going to go for when i replace the tyres in a couple of months.

Just wandering where you got them for at this price, as the cheapest i can find on the net is Camskill at £76 each. Also, do you know roughly how many miles you have been getting out of them on the front?

Does anyone know which will last longer, Hankook V12 Evo's or Falken 452's?

Thanks in advance

CH1

Jul 6, 2004
Quick question guys.

Going back to get the F1 Assymetrics fitted today, they moved my old rear tyres (F1 Asym) to the front, so my new ones will go on the rear. Is this the best way to do it?
and why?

CH1

Jul 6, 2004
Ok, time for tyres again..i think?! supposedly have 2 tyres with nails in, but I can't see them!

Also tread down to 3mm on fronts, so looking at replacing 2 tyres.

Atm as you know I have GoodYear F1 Assymetrics on, do I go for:

2 of the new F1 Assymetric2 (meant to be lighter, less road noise than F1Assym.)

2 of the new Bridgestone Potenza S1001

2 Hankook Ventus V12 Evo (looks good V pattern -but different to be uni-directional tread of the F Assym.

or any Verdesteins (though the tread pattern on these seem to be similar the Hankook V12's)

Or any other receommendations? I like it to be grippy, and very good in the wet.

Allan_84

Apr 11, 2010
Denmark
if you ask me, then i would get some continental sportcontact 2.
i know some of the hankook tyres is heavy.
V pattern can get noisy, depending on how you drive.
but if you are happy with the goodyears now, why not get those again?

CH1

Jul 6, 2004
5 years on... (and this thread) this car still going strong!

Just my tyres are worn again..this time all 4, any suggestions?

Although I've had the Good Year Assymetric 1 Or is it Assymetric 2's now?
Thinking of trying something different...didn't like the Hankooks that I tried once

How do the Continental Sport Contact 5 and Michelin Pilot Sport 3 compare to Good Year Assymetric 2's?
Anyone had the above and how did it compare if you had Good Year's before?

Looking for performance, good in wet and quick stopping power.

Last edited:

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Th F1 is about to be replaced with Assymetric 3. The Conti 5 has just been replaced with the 6.

Both better than the any Mich..

Dave_c85

Dec 1, 2013
I have ultrac sessantas and have no complaints at all, great in dry and wet and reasonably priced

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

irf

Feb 5, 2014
Can't comment on longevity but can definetly recommend the michelin pilot supersports for performance. Been to the nurburgring, done 10 laps and also done a day at castle Combe. Being used to semi slicks on a previous car I was still impressed. Obviously not quite as good but they certainly performed better then expected.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.