Who's had an evo and a cupra????

lsg60

Mar 31, 2014
Right guys I'm in a dilemma and I've seen a couple of threads that say some of you swapped an evo for the cupra so I'm calling you guys.

I've got a new job which means I will need a diesel to commute as a tank a week in the cupra would make me cry. Anyways I'm either looking at getting a cheap diesel and taking the cupra to stage 2+ or selling the cupra and replacing it with an evo ether the old 6 (love the look) or an 8/9.

Question is who's had both? Which do you prefer? Iv worked on an evo and even driven it, was fun and the handling was awesome, but don't think it was as nice to drive and definitely not as well built so I'm stuck....

Any views will be much appreciated

Thanks
Lewis

demonic pete

Apr 1, 2013
leeds
My cousin had an evo 6 and got sick of the fuel bill real quick,plus i would imagine the cupra would be hell of a lot cheaper to repair if it ever went wrong,plus as much as we all love the evo's and scoobys of the era, do you really want to be rolling in a 15 year old evo.I had a terzo 3 impreza with all sorts done to it and i keep looking at RA's but its the same thing,i would rather spent 9k on a mk2 cupra than a 15 plus year old jap import.Just my opinion though.I also keep looking at a dc5 but my wife would punch me in the nuts if i chopped in the cupra for it lol.

CupraVAG

Apr 10, 2004
North Scotland
Hey buddy.

went from an Evo4 to a Cupra R. The Evo was very harsh in standard trim, but very quick point to point. Much prefered the Cupra R, as the power delivery was much more subtle, and had a massively more refined ride. Now have a mk2 FR.

So, just depends on what you want. Any thought of comfort/ refinement.... SEAT every time...

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Right guys I'm in a dilemma and I've seen a couple of threads that say some of you swapped an evo for the cupra so I'm calling you guys.

I've got a new job which means I will need a diesel to commute as a tank a week in the cupra would make me cry. Anyways I'm either looking at getting a cheap diesel and taking the cupra to stage 2+ or selling the cupra and replacing it with an evo ether the old 6 (love the look) or an 8/9.

Question is who's had both? Which do you prefer? Iv worked on an evo and even driven it, was fun and the handling was awesome, but don't think it was as nice to drive and definitely not as well built so I'm stuck....

Thanks
Lewis
Search Crafoo on here. He went from a Cupra R to an Evo.

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort
I had an Evo 8 FQ-330 for four years. It was an awesome machine, and much more 'special' than any of my Leons including my current mk2 Cupra R. I wouldn't go back to an Evo though, partly because of the higher repair bills, but mostly because of the massive gulf in build quality. My Leon is now a year older than my Evo was when I sold it, and has done similar mileage (around 40k), but the Evo was creaking and rattling, despite being very well looked-after, whereas the Leon still feels rock solid.

It must be very hard now to find a good Evo (apart from a 10, maybe) because the prices have been low for a while, so many of them will have been abused and poorly maintained.

I can understand the appeal of having a car that is a bit more unusual and outrageous than a Leon, but the difference in performance and fun behind the wheel does not justify the repair and servicing costs or the lesser build quality for me.

lsg60

Mar 31, 2014
Cheers for the info guys, really appreciate it. I know the build quality is abit naff well feels like they're held together by paperclips but I've always wanted one, now the time has come where I can I just don't know if it's a smart move.... And I know i would definitely miss the cupra if I did...

pedro1989

May 2, 2014
Bridgend, South Wales
I came from the Evo world (specifically an 8), I think I'd have another in the future but as bête noir mentions - the repair bills on them are awful. Absolutely everything is overpriced and they're high maintenance.

I got rid of mine as I was never using it, I saw it as almost like having another bike that only comes out on nice days so I got rid of the Evo and kept the bike (which is a ton cheaper to maintain and much more fun).

Just my experience :)

ZiggyEP3

Jan 28, 2013
UK
Not an EVO but I did have a 2002 Impreza STi before and that had the same power as my LCR. There is only one thing I miss from it and that's the AWD when the weather is bad. The build quality was leagues below what the MK2 LCR is and feels much more solid. Fuel bills were in the same boat as the EVOs mentioned above and would average 24mpg. If the LCR had AWD I would not miss the the Impreza at all.

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort
Cheers for the info guys, really appreciate it. I know the build quality is abit naff well feels like they're held together by paperclips but I've always wanted one, now the time has come where I can I just don't know if it's a smart move.... And I know i would definitely miss the cupra if I did...

An Evo is never going to be the rational choice, but if you have always wanted to own one, and now you can, I would say go for it. You can make it less of a gamble by doing your research so you know what you want and how to recognise it. I have heard stories of people being sold an Evo 8 MR FQ-340 only to discover that it is actually an Evo 8 260, and there is a big difference in value (and kudos) between those two. Get yourself on the MLR, maybe even go along to some of the regional meets, and you have a much better chance of finding yourself a good one.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Did I hear my name mentioned ;)

As Kazand correctly said I did indeed make the move from a Mk2 LCR to an Evo.

Like yourself I found myself in the position where I was able to finally (after years of lusting) be able to own an Evo. This wasn't simply a case of being able to afford to run one, but other factors came into play, like having space for a 3rd car (it's not a daily just a weekend toy).

For me having done some research before hand (check servicing schedules, known issues, common pet hates etc...) and signing up the MLR forum (I haven't paid the full membership fee because I didn't feel it was worth it for me) I got a good idea of what I wanted to do in terms of purchasing. I ended up taking the import route as I wanted a clean car (not the typical UK rust bucket that there seem to be a lot of) that was going to be used at weekends when I wanted to have some fun.

If you choose this route my advice would be to look carefully at who you want to import your car as some are certainly better than others (my buying experience was a good one, but I know of others than have had a less than pleasant experience).

In terms of difference they couldn't be further apart. The Cupra (which I loved) was a great, comfortable, quick, well equipped, nice looking car, which (and I only mention this as it seems to matter greatly to some people) had excellent fuel economy for a 340bhp car. The Evo, while it has the quick base covered, really doesn't have anything like the refinement of the Cupra. So if toys, fuel economy and comfort are in any way of concern then don't bother, the Evo is very harsh and very raw and will empty it's tank in no time at all (I consistently get less than 200 miles out of a full 50 litre tank).

If you go in with your eyes wide open and realise that you're not buying a modern new car (if you do opt for a 6 like I did then it's ~15 years old) and you're happy to accept that it's a money pit then go for it.

A good condition model has had the depreciation taken out of it, so as long as you maintain it and keep it in good condition, you won't lose any money come sale time. In that sense it's kind of a smart buy, as even if you don't end up liking it and you shift it on 6 months later, you're unlikely to take any real hit on it.

All in all for the 9 months or so I've owned mine it's given me a huge deal of fun and nothing I've driven before or since gives me so much confidence on the road, it really is a monster on the b roads. I'm really happy I've had the chance to get one and I have no desire to get rid of it any time soon. It's great to just go out and have a nice spirited drive on some nice windy roads, it always gets plenty of looks too, you'll see a Subaru pretty much every day, but an Evo (especially an older one) is quite a rare sight nowadays.

I'll shamelessly dump a couple of pics here ;) you'll have to excuse the missing centre caps. I really should update my pics now they are on.

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum

As Kazand correctly said I did indeed make the move from a Mk2 LCR to an Evo.

Like yourself I found myself in the position where I was able to finally (after years of lusting) be able to own an Evo. This wasn't simply a case of being able to afford to run one, but other factors came into play, like having space for a 3rd car (it's not a daily just a weekend toy).

For me having done some research before hand (check servicing schedules, known issues, common pet hates etc...) and signing up the MLR forum (I haven't paid the full membership fee because I didn't feel it was worth it for me) I got a good idea of what I wanted to do in terms of purchasing. I ended up taking the import route as I wanted a clean car (not the typical UK rust bucket that there seem to be a lot of) that was going to be used at weekends when I wanted to have some fun.

If you choose this route my advice would be to look carefully at who you want to import your car as some are certainly better than others (my buying experience was a good one, but I know of others than have had a less than pleasant experience).

In terms of difference they couldn't be further apart. The Cupra (which I loved) was a great, comfortable, quick, well equipped, nice looking car, which (and I only mention this as it seems to matter greatly to some people) had excellent fuel economy for a 340bhp car. The Evo, while it has the quick base covered, really doesn't have anything like the refinement of the Cupra. So if toys, fuel economy and comfort are in any way of concern then don't bother, the Evo is very harsh and very raw and will empty it's tank in no time at all (I consistently get less than 200 miles out of a full 50 litre tank).

If you go in with your eyes wide open and realise that you're not buying a modern new car (if you do opt for a 6 like I did then it's ~15 years old) and you're happy to accept that it's a money pit then go for it.

A good condition model has had the depreciation taken out of it, so as long as you maintain it and keep it in good condition, you won't lose any money come sale time. In that sense it's kind of a smart buy, as even if you don't end up liking it and you shift it on 6 months later, you're unlikely to take any real hit on it.

All in all for the 9 months or so I've owned mine it's given me a huge deal of fun and nothing I've driven before or since gives me so much confidence on the road, it really is a monster on the b roads. I'm really happy I've had the chance to get one and I have no desire to get rid of it any time soon. It's great to just go out and have a nice spirited drive on some nice windy roads, it always gets plenty of looks too, you'll see a Subaru pretty much every day, but an Evo (especially an older one) is quite a rare site nowadays.

I'll shamelessly dump a couple of pics here ;) you'll have to excuse the missing centre caps. I really should update my pics now they are on.

I knew you'd wake up eventually..... 'usual rust bucket' ' bad experience with importer' ........ Anyone we know? ;)

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
I don't get on here much nowadays mate, lucky if it's once a month.

It could be yes. Sucks unfortunately but some are crap.

Sent from my LG-G4 using Tapatalk

lsg60

Mar 31, 2014
An Evo is never going to be the rational choice, but if you have always wanted to own one, and now you can, I would say go for it. You can make it less of a gamble by doing your research so you know what you want and how to recognise it. I have heard stories of people being sold an Evo 8 MR FQ-340 only to discover that it is actually an Evo 8 260, and there is a big difference in value (and kudos) between those two. Get yourself on the MLR, maybe even go along to some of the regional meets, and you have a much better chance of finding yourself a good one.

That's something I didn't think about. Seen a few 340/360 for sale that for some reason didn't look right but dint think anyone would sell fake ones.. lol. I'll have a look at that site, cheers mate

That is a stunner mate, exactly what I want. Never thought of an import tbh, and yeah will agree that some are rust buckets, I'm constantly fixing my mates, gearbox, clutch, calipers, wishbones, driveshafts and that's just what Iv done recently lol

Did the import workout about the same as buying a UK one? Or was it Alot more?

And cheers for taking the time for that write up, has really helped :)

Last edited:

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
Another quick post, avoid Clives Peformance/Cheshire Performance or whatever name they are trading under now. Based in Lancs.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
That's something I didn't think about. Seen a few 340/360 for sale that for some reason didn't look right but dint think anyone would sell fake ones.. lol. I'll have a look at that site, cheers mate

That is a stunner mate, exactly what I want. Never thought of an import tbh, and yeah will agree that some are rust buckets, I'm constantly fixing my mates, gearbox, clutch, calipers, wishbones, driveshafts and that's just what Iv done recently lol

Did the import workout about the same as buying a UK one? Or was it Alot more?

And cheers for taking the time for that write up, has really helped :)

The import was more expensive than most of the UK cars I was looking at, however, as you seem to be fully aware ;), spending a few more quid on a rot free model means less expense further down the line. The good thing about using the import company was that if I wasn't entirely happy I could reject the car get my deposit back and walk away.

I was able to give them some specifics about what I wanted and what was important to me when they were looking for one. They listened and I ended up with a really good car which I am well happy with.

Another quick post, avoid Clives Peformance/Cheshire Performance or whatever name they are trading under now. Based in Lancs.

Never heard of them tbh....

Paul Brown/Bigboyztoyz/RalliartUK/Clives Perfomance/C Performance all names this place has used at some point for trading, steer as far clear as you can. Crooks from everything I have read and heard.

If you want a UK one you're best giving it a good look over and checking the underside to see what condition it's in, be wary that many get undersealed in black to try and hide rot. I got mine clear undersealed so I could be sure that no nasty surprises were in store. My 16 year old car looks better underneath than most UK cars that are only a few years old.

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort
If we're shamelessly posting Evo pics on here, then it would be rude of me not to join in. This was my VIII FQ-330 :D

GvPLyQG.jpg

Last edited:

jmc1976

Jan 8, 2013
wakefield, west yorks

Thanks

Lewis

I know you mentioned evo 6,8and 9 , but if the evo 7 interests you at all I have a 2001 evo 7 for sale , feel free to send me a pm if your interested

Cheers

Jonathan

splinter_cdo

Apr 25, 2010
I have a mk2 cupra and evo 5 all fine just got to be a grown up some times and not boot it evey where

Last edited: