Have you had the headlight issue?

Have you experienced the headlight levelling issue?

• Yes

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • No

Votes: 50 72.5%

• Total voters

Villers

Billy Villain
Apr 12, 2014
Cumbria
www.horizonwatches.com
Hi all!!

Since its first winter my car has had the auto levelling problem on the headlights. Normally, when its cold outside, the drivers side headlight will not auto level and will end up much lower than the passenger side, throwing light a lot less further down the road than the passenger side. The only way to resolve this is to turn the engine off, remove the key and restart. This is annoying if Ive parked facing something and can see it straight away, its more annoying if Ive just left a built up area and noticed it!

Now, at just over a year old I dont find it acceptable that I should have to start my car twice in the morning to get the headlights to work properly. The dealer cant do anything about it as far as I can tell. In true form it wont do it on cue and definitely not while its at the garage. They said they had 'reset' them last time it was in but even if such a thing exists is done the square root of ZERO because its still doing it!

Tonight I managed to get a very bad video of it happening....

https://youtu.be/wi4w4mzDrWQ

This coupled with the rattles and clunks they dint fix has got me a bit hacked off. Im considering taking the headlight issue to SEAT and since I remember there were some fellow sufferers out there last time I'd like to see how common it is, if anyone has cured it and if anyone is still suffering! With that in mind Ive added a quick poll to go with it.

Stay safe out there and check your headlights for me in the morning! :D

sootytorques

Sep 9, 2013
I intermittently have the self levelling problem for both headlights, happens in all weather's, I'm more concerned by the lack of brightness.

andy_l

Dec 22, 2013
Yes I get the self-levelling issue, seemingly always on the drivers side.

Not sure whether it only happens when cold, or just that its more noticeable since the last service when the dealer adjusted them for me. At least they no longer point at the ground!

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
I've had this problem since my car was new in June 2014. I gave up trying to get it fixed. There doesn't appear to be a remedy that actually works.

I have to say though that when they eventually do level correctly the brightness is very good on mine.

philipj999

Nov 21, 2014
Aylesbury, Bucks, UK
Had the same issue, Perrys of Aylesbury ended up changing the effected headlight on the 3rd or 4th try which resolved the issue. Seat CS are aware of the issue and apparently that is the only fix so insist your dealer does it!

Deleted member 98136

Hadn't experienced any problems with headlights until last Sunday night ( had car 8 months).

Went out for a takeaway and noticed that nearside light was lower on road than I'd previously seen, illuminating an intense spot of light on road just in front of car, actuated high beam and noticed that light moved up to where it would have normally illuminated the road on dipped beam. Tried alternating between dipped and full beam several times but still the same.

When I drove car again after I'd picked up the takeaway the lights were back to normal, this was after ignition had been turned off/on, this has happened once more since then, annoyingly it appears the problem is an intermittent fault so not the best scenario to get a dealer to rectify.

Villers

Billy Villain
Apr 12, 2014
Cumbria
www.horizonwatches.com
Thanks for the info stepdey! As I sad previously this is likely to not be something the dealer will either be able to or want to fix. Its probably a lot more common but people arent noticing it, especially of they ar bbc in built up areas a lot of the time. Ive not heard back from the dealer sinceI got in touch, my thoughts on that are getting towards them not caring. Thanks again and if the dealer does anything please let me know!!

Deleted member 98136

I should have added that I live out of the City area, no street lighting !

mrbugle

Jun 25, 2015
Mine don't seem very bright at all but it's really really hard to tell as I live in Birmingham and it's very very built up.

On a side note, why do so many cars have mis-aimed headlights?
It's becoming a pet peeve of mine over winter.

Blunteh

Apr 3, 2014
Mines started doing it again now the temperature has dropped. I've reopened my case with Seat CS and I'm waiting for a callback. My car's been into the dealers 4 times already at least. Last time for a week. The said they fixed it last time too... I'll be pushing for a full headlamp replacement.

andy_l

Dec 22, 2013
Yes I get the self-levelling issue, seemingly always on the drivers side.

Not sure whether it only happens when cold, or just that its more noticeable since the last service when the dealer adjusted them for me. At least they no longer point at the ground!

Update - had 4 instances of the offside headlight not levelling last week. Bit poor..

Deleted member 98136

Can anyone confirm that after having the problem with the headlights leveling and had them replaced, has that indeed cured the problem ? or have they noticed that it still happens.

Bubbs

Jul 18, 2013
My 63 plate FR has recently started doing this too. First winter (2013/14) it was ok. Second winter (2014/15) it was ok... Now on its 3rd winter I too have the problem. It is definitely related to outside temperature, and makes no difference if the car is parked in a garage or not - assuming said garage isn't heated.

Seems to only occur at 5 degrees C and below. And, the colder it is, the more restart attempts required to get the headlamp to come up to the right level.

I'm keeping an eye on it because at the minute there's no point putting it in to a dealer when the air temperature is still in the high single / low double digit figures. It is annoying as hell though!

wheelwright

Nov 28, 2002
Birmingham
Visit site
I've noticed with mine when engine's running and I put headlights on sometimes they adjust and sometimes they don't, I've tried the other way around headlights on first then start car but does the same.
I take it headlights are supposed to adjust every time you put them on/start car? It's a 65 plate fr st so hopefully it's covered!

Villers

Billy Villain
Apr 12, 2014
Cumbria
www.horizonwatches.com
Great info guys! Seems some dealers are playing fair and others arent! I will be back at the local stealer soon to be enquiring about a new headlight prior to contacting SEAT customer services WHEN not IF they refuse!

Wheelwright, they should autolevel everytime!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.