iTB Ibiza Cupra 16v Track Toy - Engine Rebuild, Aero & More Page 73+

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Any updates Dave ? Is this likely to be out on track this year at all ?

In Florida at the moment so no updates on the car, before I've left for my holiday Saxon Motorsport informed me that I needed a new alloy rad made up because my current one had started leaking.... which was a 2 week wait :cry:

Haven't heard anything since so hoping no news is good news

Good work there Dave, You still have the old rear beam?

Yep still got my old beam with the black Powerflex bushes in ;)

Last edited:

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
A very little update, the snot is going for dyne check on Monday and it's all been corner weighted and suspension set up with the crash diet the snot's been on and even with the front splitter and that it now weighs 925 Kgs. Very happy with the weight loss

acid_ash

Feb 28, 2015
Bristol
A very little update, the snot is going for dyne check on Monday and it's all been corner weighted and suspension set up with the crash diet the snot's been on and even with the front splitter and that it now weighs 925 Kgs. Very happy with the weight loss

amazing dude love this car!! can't wait to see it on track again :p

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Picked the snot up today, the power top end is the same as before but with a bit more in the mid range.

Need to remove the bumper to get it on and off the trailer, even to get it onto my drive the bumper needs to come off

And it's finally nice to see the engine sitting back in it's rightful place inside a freshly painted bay!

Although we are not 100% sure what caused the engine failure the loss of pressure at times isn't something I want happening again, had a few problems with the dry sump kit I purchased which would result spending even more money having one off bits made because they couldn't be sourced. We decided to go for the Accusump set up, the one thing I do like about this is if the pump actually fails this will dump the pressure into the engine and with my alarm on the Dash 2 I may have seconds to save the engine.... More than you usually have lol.

This set up uses the electric pressure control so when the engine pressure drops below 50psi the Accusump will dump the pressure into the engine and will then re-store the pressure when the engine pressure goes above 60psi so it will constantly send pressure back and fore between the Accusump & engine to maintain at least 50psi.

I can switch the Accusump on before firing the engine, this will load the engine with 80/90 psi (stored in the Accusump) and will basically pre-lube the engine before starting.

My air box and air feed in the grille

And finally a photo of the Ceramic coated manifold I had done a while ago

The camber that I am now running on the front, the tyres are close to the suspension now so I'll be fitting 15mm spacers or I am thinking of fitting 17" alloys because the price of slick tyres compared to 16" and they much easier to get hold of.... So I may got a bit wider.

Last edited:

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Your thread is massive with a lot of lovely work. I guess the rose joints eliminate free play whilst allowing the degrees of freedom that you require. I haven't figured out yet what that extension on the bottom of the hub carrier/steering knuckle is for. It spaces the lower control arm down away from the drive shaft centre line. Has it something to do with castor? I'm very interested in your ARB set up. I'm after an external rear anti roll bar. My corboba doesn't have an integrated rear anti-roll bar so I got a gti rear beam with one to see if it stops her pushing the front end so easily and give it better feel. Hopefully get it fitted this weekend. Very good build thread, well worth subscribing to.

Your fresh engine bay has certainly finished the car off now it matches the rest of the car with how clean and purposeful it looks.
I have never understood what the Accusump was for but now you have explained it, it makes sense.

Would love to see this give some cars on track a run for there money especially some of these forum celebrities and there so called race cars :hide:

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Thanks, the engine bay was something that always bothered me and in my eyes was letting the standard of the car down.

Not sure what celebrities you're on about but I'm hoping to do a bit of sprint racing next year.... I want my trophies in my garage lol

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Had to do some work to the snot before I'm track ready but I had a little trial fitment of the splitter. Got to say I'm pleased with the finished product

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Been doing a bit of work on the car since the last update, not a lot to talk about and issues still on going but heres the news so far;

When I had my Brembo’s refurbed by my mate at Godspeed Brakes he found that I had cooked the dust seal so I’ve done some brake duct feeds to help cool them down a bit.

At Autosport International show back in January I got speaking to Team Dynamics and placed a order for 12 alloys / 3 sets…. 2 in white and 1 set in black with the correct offset I need and VW centre bore. So I’ve a track day set with medium/hard tyres preferably slick tyres, a soft set for some sprint racing I have in mind and a wet set for the rainy days.

I’ve ordered 2 sets of soft Kumho V70A’s and one of these sets are being cut into the wet pattern that I had from Kumho Motorsport like this;

Since I got my car back from Saxon Motorsport I’ve had problems with selecting reverse and could no engage 5th gear, myself and Mark bit this down to the play in the selector tower on top of the gearbox with the plastic bush cage inside the tower, the weak bottom mount and the plastic slider on the selector arms. I decided to uprate everything with the MTS tower bush, bottom mount and had the bush machined like in a thread I found on uprating the tower and used a earlier tower from a mk2 Golf / Corrado.

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?204165-VW-Motorsport-shifters-and-shifter-towers

The original bottom mount vs the new MTS mount

Long story short still having problems with selecting 5th and its very stiff when moving the gear lever side to side…. this is still on going and stressing me out so will update when we’ve found a fix to this.

And now with all this talk about aero and a few people proving it is worth looking into and taking the time to design and along with my front splitter I need to get the “aero balance” right on my car. In simple terms, if you fitting a front splitter and nothing on the rear to balance it out it is like fitting soft slick tyres on the front and cheap “Runway” tyres on the back.

So seeing some work BYC (Back Yard Civic) was doing on Facebook and that he was doing any car now I contacted him. I had to supply him with a bootlid and thanks to Phil for supplying and delivering the boot for me Mark @ BYC did his magic and sent me photos along the way of his design.

Mounted it a bit different because of the polycarb windows, we made a plate that goes to the inner boot skin and bolted it through the window.

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Few more of the wing now the car is off the axel stands

I am tempted to take the wing lower, this is how it's sitting at the moment

Camera by the front window screen

Half way up the roof... at the highest point of the roof line

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Function over fashion with the car now sadly! Not in it to win show and shine... Trying to go as fast as possible around a track instead.

But should benefit in performance greatly along with the suspension mods and weight saving I've done.

No plans on removing the aerial, unless I can get a grommet to fit... Lot of work for something so pointless haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Just see this on Facebook looks great I also have one of his wings

I seen yours a while ago, that was when I noticed that BYC were doing "other" cars than jap stuff.

See you have the same idea as me or I have the stems as you with bolting through the polycarbonate Windows.

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Collected my tyres yesterday after having the wet pattern cut.

These were Kumho V70A in soft compound with depth cut to 5.5mm and added pattern.

Compared to the original pattern

Adjusted the wing higher, one more higher setting left

And found a " SEAT Sport" decal that was too big for where I wanted on my dash.... Think the car is more than worthy enough for one on the rear lol.

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Had my gearbox back and refitted to the engine, never fitted a box with a plated diff... My god it's so unbalanced and a right nightmare to fit.

Went to set up the cables for the gear selections and when I went to pull it out of 5th both the cables were so close that they locked up so had to make up a spacer plate. I adjusted the cables back to how there were on the original selector tower where I knew they worked and then went about making myself the spacer to mate the linkage to where the cable wanted to be.

Works a treat now and I made a slot in the bottom to allow myself more adjustment, took a well hacksawing and filing but I'm very happy with how it turned out.

I came across Zoet Racing in Netherlands selling off 11 half worn used Dunlop Slicks that they used on their Lotus Exige race cars, worked out with postage £46 a tyre which is better than £220 a tyre new and £135 a tyre I was originally paying for Kumho V70A's before my engine blow up. At that price they were worth a go and should see me through a good few track days I think.

Not too happy with that slice in the top tyre, unsure if it was damaged via delivery but I think I will reject that one!

Since I have fitted the fibre glass grille which has removed my headlights I have been concerned about wet days and a few other people have commented about having no lights may mean I won't be allowed on track, so a cheap eBay buy for some LED lights.

They just need to be red and flash back and fore now.

Give the car a good bath then before it's first outing hopefully this weekend at Pembrey, should be a very good track so test the aero improvements with that long fast left hander! Just hope my balls are big enough and I get back into it after not being out on track for almost a year and half now.

And pulling the car out finally gives me chance to step back and see the wing from a distance.

A better photo of the carbon dash

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Just booked my 1st track day with Motorsport Events at Pembrey this Sunday. Wanted to attend Castle Combe yesterday (Monday) but run into a few problems and I didn't get the car ready until yesterday anyway.

Want to do a track that I know and been to a few times so only 2 tracks on that list is Combe & Pembrey.... both are very fast tracks so would be ideal to test this aero work and Pembrey got the famous "Dibeni" left hand corner that all the BTCC & F1 teams wanted to use back in the day! If it's a good enough test track for them and the likes of Ayton Senna then it's more than good enough for me!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.