Ronin225's Candy rimmed Black LCR - Project 500-4WD, Cage installed and bigger turbo

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Does that mean the boot floor is coming out soon too?
Its not been cancelled by any means but im trying to still be able able to use the car and not try to undertake too much work in one go. I was speaking to graham when he came up earlier in the year and he was saying that taking on too much in one go means nothing is ever finished enough to use which is why hes lost the enthusiasm with his.
This way I can still track and use the car when I want, continue acquiring the last few engine bits to finally get it built and offer the whole lot in using the Quattro box so its all ready then.
Plus with its retirement as a daily I can take time to do bigger projects as and when I want
I love this build, it's going to be similar to how I'd want mine to turn out. Only issue I've got is lack of talent.
Track day next year mate?

No real talent here mate, just a bit of experience. Yours would eat mine round a track now with the spec of yours anyway.
Have to have a meet up next year (maybe at a trackday) and possibly stay overnight and have some beers and catch up. April the weather starts being good enough for hoonage.
It might give you ideas to make your own leon superleggera too

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Got a little carried away with stripping bits in the evenings and ended up with an interesting setup to drive to work with this morning, good old cable ties

rossi46

Jan 1, 2011
Kent
Haha definite race car mate love it! Looking forward to the cage and progress mate

Stage 2 mk1 LCR 291bhp AmD tuned.

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Had Monday off to finish the strip down and start with the cage and other bits, the pictures explain its state best

Since then the screen has been removed, lots of sound deadening behind the dash and much of the crap heated and scraped off the floor. Rear seat mounts had to be cut out too
Ive been up to see it a few times and its mostly finished now so hopefully Tuesday the fab work will be done
While its in the floor pan is having as much seam welding as possible too
More pics to follow next week, just made a rather large shopping list of new bits im going to need for the new setup

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
More pics of the work in progress

Holes have been cut in the floor and the cage dropped through to fully weld the top of all the roof supports then lifted back up and holes rewelded. Hoping fabrication work should be finished by the end of the week

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
More goodies arrived

Nice big 19 row oil cooler to try and help keep the temps down when on track especially if im going for a dirty big snail

Being as the cage is now where the bonnet latch is located and would look gash just cable tied on ive decided to do away with the OE latch and use these

Then being as the car is going to be racecar-esque I got this

To be able to fit this little 330mm suede beauty, not a cheap flexible ebay copy but genuine OMP

Just waiting for the harnesses to be delivered now

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
A bit more progress made over the week
Car has been rebuilt internally to a driveable standard to get it home, screen is back in and weld test samples have been approved
However rear top mounts don't fit inside rear reinforcing buckets so waiting to hear back from custom cages on what to do
Eyebolts and plates for harnesses have been welded into the floor, started seam welding the front floor pan but with the underseal still on the bottom it was just melting and smoking so have left that until the engine is out and have more time
These arrived too

Just bought some ARP diff bolts too in the black Friday sale so I can at some point get round to putting my diff in a box when I have time

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Wow Tim, haven't been on for a while, this is moving on nicely.. cage looks great.

However i must say i wouldn't have put the cage in until the rear floor was done for the 4wd..... it's hard enough to do without a climbing frame in the car :cartman:

Also the rear mounts for the cage may not work with the 4wd rear end.

So when are you gonna sell me them 18's ;) ????

Keep it up buddy.

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Hi graham, been a while
I did have a good look whilst the car was stripped out at exactly what needs removing and although the cage goes through the inner arch skin that would need to come out for the 4wd ive thought of it a continuous project. I can now run it with the cage whilst I get the engine finished and in and start to prepare for boot floor cutting over a winter being as its no longer my main car
Also I do have some 18s if you need some however not the supercopas;)

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Certainly no going back now haha. Good to see the pics of what I knew was already going on, looking forward to seeing it all unfold mate.

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Took a trip to Daventry to collect an early xmas present

Now its home the remedial work can start but a few photos of whats been done

Got chance to do some bits over the xmas shutdown, starting with the wiring

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Done at bit more over the festive period, started by undersealing all the exposed metal underneath the car

Then started on thinning and trying to source faulty wiring in the loom, almost wish I hadn't started though

Going to be slow progress now I think

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Managed to get a few hours today to pull the car into the dry of my friends unit to do a bit more.
When I got the car back at Christmas initially the bonnet had been stuck closed and many different attempts to open it had failed. Even took the grill out an undid it from its mount and tried forcing the arm over but it was stuck solid so had to ruin it to get it released. With this in mind I needed to get the aerocatches installed as the bonnet wasn't held closed by anything, so I did some measuring and marking up, then more measuring then a spot of moithering followed by more measuring before I plucked up the courage to hack into my bonnet

So after much careful cutting and much trial and error and slow reworking, got one side installed

Then about an hour later got the other side done, so now the bonnet should stay down and quite stealthy on a black car too

Not too difficult a job but quite time consuming to get it to fit just right, plus the obvious thoughts of attacking your paintwork. After being really careful to install the catches with no damage I ended up scratching the bonnet lightly whilst packing away, typical

Mar 1, 2016
Ayr
Hi mate cracking work been reading this thread non stop. Was wondering if it's absolutely necessary to cut out the floor for the 4 wheel drive conversion or can it be done without stopping over floors. Thanks cracking work man

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Thanks guys, more work has happened but still not managed to sort the faulty wiring although I have removed lots of unused bits now
Also with the 4wd conversion im afraid you do need to cut the floor out as there are no diff or rear suspension mounting points. The wheel well is deeper due to the beam arrangement and also s3 pan has additional removable cover due to needing to access the other side of the split fuel tank/pump arrangement