280 owners. Getting the power down?

Deputy

Apr 20, 2015
West Yorkshire
Hi All

After much head/heart conflict earlier this year I ordered the 150BHP 1.4 ST and not the Cupra. However on these wet and greasy roads I'm having trouble even getting the power down on mine! The Hankook S1 Ventus tyres spin very easily even when accelerating in 2nd, let alone when pulling out of junctions in 1st, the traction light flashes like a christmas tree.

Sure, I could be smoother with the throttle (I also ride a 180BHP sportsbike but sliding that is part of the fun!) but if you can't get the power down to accelerate quickly it is a waste.

So for those of you with 280BHP Cupras, do you have to be very delicate when pulling away on greasy roads to avoid the extra 130 BHP just spinning away or is the differential and tyre traction better able to cope?

(A nearly new Golf R Estate would be an obvious alternative but looks so boring compared to the Cupra)

Cheers

zondaff

Mar 8, 2015
Surrey
Hi, yes the Cupra is troublesome with the wheels spins (mainly slippery conditions) - however since changing to Sport Cup 2 tyres (not got the sub8 pack) the performance is much more inspiring, sure it doesn't eliminate the spinning although provides more confidence when getting on the power. I know others stuck Super Sports on and they work a treat too.

Mk3 Se

Dec 1, 2015
Using the Mk 1 human brain and accepting that hugely powerful front wheel drive cars have a tendency to spin driven wheels helps.

It has to be said that decent tyres made for cooler conditions also help. I use winters tyres on my 140 PS SE and in normal use rarely have any issues but if I want I can provoke wheelspin out of junctions at will.

Personally I would never buy a car with over 200 PS and 2WD. More than that and 4WD would be my choice regardless of the wonderful driver aids that manufacturers claim to fit.

But I drove in the early 70's on 5.2" wide x-ply remoulds on a Ford Anglia. When you have coped with that anything is better.

Deputy

Apr 20, 2015
West Yorkshire
Using the Mk 1 human brain and accepting that hugely powerful front wheel drive cars have a tendency to spin driven wheels helps.

Completely agree (my 180BHP Fireblade has one contact patch the size of my palm!). If it's a dry, warm day then I take the bike so most of my car driving tends to be colder, wetter days and the laws of physics and traction always win.

Basically I'm trying to convince myself that swapping my 1.4 FR for a Cupra isn't worth it for my needs!!!

mx5

Apr 26, 2014
Ireland
I have put 6k km on my manual 280. The standard bridgestones don't cope very well, but they did the job on my previous Ibiza cupra. I'm sure the Ibiza (dsg) has more traction than the Leon even with narrower tyres.

The power spike when the Leon comes on boost is the problem, I think. I have since put winter tyres on the front only and traction is better and wheel hop nearly eliminated. The traction control light still flickers but doesn't seem to restrict acceleration.

Wheel spin is a problem in the 280, but it gives it a old school feel and ads to the fun.

stu_m

Aug 14, 2014
Hull
www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk
its pretty easy to provoke spin and slides when its a bit damp and greasy and thats with a 1.6tdi with only a few horses!! I would hate to think what the 280 is like!

I am a bit shocked that there is no 4wd option for the cupra or any model really (except for the xperience )

if I was looking to buy a car with any more than 180ps then I would want 4wd to be honest!

ps sliding a bike can be fun just not in this weather for me thanks! I'm a fair weather biker and proud lol

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
Pilot super sports for the summer months improve things by a huge amount. Nokian WRD4 winters are good too. Basically the Bridgestones are not fit for that amount of power.

grmagler

May 3, 2015
West Sussex
In Cupra mode with Supersports I slip the clutch a small amount in conjunction with modulating the throttle to maintain traction then short shift to second or third as the car will pull like a train from 2k in 3rd with good traction in the wet coming out of roundabouts etc.
I had a tuned very fast Sti before and that would spin the wheels up in 1st 2nd and 3rd in the wet , you just need to get a feel for the cars limit.

toledoChris

Jul 20, 2004
This what makes my 330d feel soooo much quicker than my 184, even on damp roads I can pin the throttle and off it flys without much or any wheel spin which I can't even hope to in the 184. The focus RS on its way to replace the BMW will emphasise the lack of traction even further.

In real world, off the line moments I find high power fwd cars frustrating.

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
I find these threads a bit strange and wonder how people are driving to manage to wheel spin all the time! I've got the 1.8 TSi and I can't think of a single occasion in the past 2 years where I've experienced wheel spin whilst pulling off.

I really don't think tyres are the sole problem, yes they can contribute if they're not great, but I'd always look at the driving technique first.

The only time I've experienced it has been when planting the throttle going over an undulation in the road, like coming off an island, for example.

Accy187

Sep 11, 2015
Mine came with the Continental Contisportcontact 5p tyres on. I have not had any problems thus far. To be fair though its only got 420 miles on it and I don't boot it from the lights very often.

FRTSIman

Aug 2, 2013
I find these threads a bit strange and wonder how people are driving to manage to wheel spin all the time! I've got the 1.8 TSi and I can't think of a single occasion in the past 2 years where I've experienced wheel spin whilst pulling off.

I really don't think tyres are the sole problem, yes they can contribute if they're not great, but I'd always look at the driving technique first.

The only time I've experienced it has been when planting the throttle going over an undulation in the road, like coming off an island, for example.

I quite agree! I have the 1.8TSI DSG FR 5-Door with the original Bridgestone Turanza ER300 tyres on 17 inch wheels, and have never experienced any problems with wheel spin since I purchased the car new in October 2013. May be it is because I adapt my driving to the current road conditions?:confused:

Stegor

Jul 17, 2011
I quite agree! I have the 1.8TSI DSG FR 5-Door with the original Bridgestone Turanza ER300 tyres on 17 inch wheels, and have never experienced any problems with wheel spin since I purchased the car new in October 2013. May be it is because I adapt my driving to the current road conditions?:confused:

I get wheel spin all the time with the same spec. Been meaning to get better tyres but haven't got round to it. Will definitely get a 4wd next time so unless SEAT come up with one then it's bye bye.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)

I have said this already, the Bridgestones on the Cupra are not that bad (if you warm them up first) I have had no bother with wheelspin unless I try a redlight run when they are still cold in the wet. a lot of folk don't have any feel for grip (ride a powerfull bike for a while and it becomes natural) and just use the throttle like an on/off switch, for these folk the Mich Pilot SS tyres are a must, they are the best tyre for this power/FWD and I have them on the front now after wearing out the Bridgestones (12000 app) and they are far better when cold/wet.

Last edited:

dubslife

booost
Jul 30, 2010
I would go with the spike of boost causes the wheel spin but that doesn't mean you can't learn to feather the throttle to prevent this happening regardless of it being wet.and I'm not to sure what you mean by sliding a bike is fun if my Gsxr was sliding I would ride back to where I bought my tyres and ask for a refund=stickier the better for me although I don't own a 280

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
use the throttle like an on/off switch

Sorry but that's just very poor advise for any driver/rider.

and I'm not to sure what you mean by sliding a bike is fun if my Gsxr was sliding I would ride back to where I bought my tyres and ask for a refund=stickier the better for me although I don't own a 280

Stickier the better yes, but still fun to slide any vehicle..:D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise