Tyres - recommendations / ones to avoid, FR184

MattW35

Aug 9, 2007
Cambs
As title really, my 184 needs a pair of fronts.

As far as I can make out, the Factory fitted Bridgestones are around £83 from Black circles. Have had Eagle Asymmetric 2's on older Leons and they've always seemed ok - and as it happens looks like they're on offer at BC.

neil_f225

Mar 14, 2005
Michelin Pilot Supersport. I've never been a fan of Michelin and have used eagle f1, conti sport contact 5 etc previously but the Supersports way out perform any of these. They transformed my 184 not only due to the extra grip but also improved steering feel. It takes a lot in the dry to get them to lose grip and even in the wet they're still really good .

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
Eagle F1's are very good but what makes them good also makes them wear quickly IME. I used to get 7-8K on the fronts of my Octavia vRS but that was a few years ago and perhaps the compound is different now.

I've been using GY Efficient Grip Performance on my 184 for the last 18 months and they have been faultless. Quite well priced too.

MattW35

Aug 9, 2007
Cambs
F1's currently £72.91 on black circles. I know I've paid over £100 before. So that's a price that looks too good to ignore.

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
I had the Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance on my previous car and they were excellent.
Scored high on grip (wet and dry), economy and noise, which was important for me. hate noisy tyres.
Mine came with Pirelli Cinturato P7 which seem OK, but they don't hang on quite as much when cornering fast in the wet. Maybe too much torque for them. Goodyears were better, I think. But they're wearing well.
Michelins get well-written up here, but I don't think ANY performance tyres will wear extremely well, as was said earlier in the thread.
If they're really good and grippy they'll be soft, and leave more tread behind on the road.
depends what floats your boat....

pj106

Jan 10, 2015
Longridge
+1 for the Goodyears. Far superior to the oem Bridgestone.

another +1 for the Goodyear F1 AS2. Really good tyre used to get 20K + miles on my old 2.2 Civic. Will be putting them on my Leon once the bridgies have worn out.

toledoChris

Jul 20, 2004
Mine came with Contisport 5's from the factory and I got circa 27k from the fronts before changing them, they wore very evenly and whilst the car isn't generally pushed (hence the 27k) they have always performed well. They appear to give a good balance between grip, economy and wear so another pair went on, the rears are going to last another good chunk of time.

Snah

Jul 7, 2014
Netherlands
The goodyears are very good, had 3 sets of them on my last Leon.
Now i changed prematuraly the Bridgestones (due to bad grip and tracion) for the Michelin Super Sports and they are the best I have ever driven with (normal road use tires btw).
Grip and traction are astonishing and it is close to the Cup 2 tire which has a similar thread design but offers even more grip and traction due to the fact it is a semi slick. Only minus is that the tire noise is quite high when driving.

Last edited:

neil_f225

Mar 14, 2005
The goodyears are very good, had 3 sets of them on my last Leon.
Now i changed prematuraly the Bridgestones (due to bad grip and tracion) for the Michelin Super Sports and they are the best I have ever driven with (normal road use tires btw).
Grip and traction are astonishing and it is close to the Cup 2 tire which has a similar thread design but offers even more grip and traction due to the fact it is a semi slick. Only minus is that the tire noise is quite high when driving.

Agreed about your comments regarding grip. They are in a different league to anything else. I didn't notice them any noiser than the oe Bridgestones. I've done about 10k miles on mine and just removed them to fit my winter tyres and they look just over half worn. Probably get about 18-20k miles out them. That's a mixture of motorway and spirited country road driving.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
another +1 for the Goodyear F1 AS2. Really good tyre used to get 20K + miles on my old 2.2 Civic. Will be putting them on my Leon once the bridgies have worn out.

Order now for good price's on AS2's as the the 3 is due very soon, if it hasn't already arrived..

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Mich Pilot Super Sports

Michelin Pilot Supersport. I've never been a fan of Michelin and have used eagle f1, conti sport contact 5 etc previously but the Supersports way out perform any of these. They transformed my 184 not only due to the extra grip but also improved steering feel. It takes a lot in the dry to get them to lose grip and even in the wet they're still really good .

These are the best tyres for the Cupra for everyday work, the Cup Sport is great on track but not very good in cold/wet conditions.

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
Michelin PS3's, great all rounder. Not the cheapest, but they give the best balance of dry/wet weather grip, fuel economy and low road noise.