Boot Struts

AdamC11

Jan 24, 2015
Bolton
Hi Guys,

On my MK3 Leon, every time you open and close the boot, the struts seem to creak.

Can anybody offer any advice or tips?

Cheers

Ads

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
I just think they're cheap quality struts, I reckon the vag will be thinking put up with it you bought a cheap bottom end car of the vag range.:cry: so I guess it's what to expect. I often find I open my boot and they haven't got enough lift to open the boot lid so I need to give it an extra shove, where in my previous golf mk7 I just opened the boot and the struts easily lifted it up. Seat appear to fit very cheap quality components so other than the chassis that is shared a lot of the minor components are poor, hence all the rattles etc people complain about on here.

StevenM

Apr 2, 2013
I use Barnes for all my replacement non oem gas struts at work. I work with construction equipment and nearly every canopy or bonnet is fitted with a strut or two. The Barnes stuff is equivalent or better than all oem struts and they are a fraction of the price. A typical 200mm strut for a Bomag roller can be upwards of £100 compared to £15-£25 for a Barnes jobbie. Link...

http://www.assocspring.co.uk/a/38/gas-struts/

Sent from my piece of shite iPhone - according to Muz.

StevenM

Apr 2, 2013
You can try a small amount of light grease on the rod and open/close the boot a few times to see if it helps. If it doesn't and it bothers you that much, replace them.

Sent from my piece of shite iPhone - according to Muz.

Jay280

Oct 7, 2015
The struts on mine don't creak but are very poor, as they probably only open the boot 2/3 of the way. Was thinking they were faulty and trying to get them changed under warranty. I take it they're all pretty much the same then?!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
The struts on mine don't creak but are very poor, as they probably only open the boot 2/3 of the way. Was thinking they were faulty and trying to get them changed under warranty. I take it they're all pretty much the same then?!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Mine 17 month old as has always opened boot fully.

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
I reckon there is some confusion here. I think some people are talking about having struts that open the boot fully when opened from the fob, and some are talking about the boot opening fully once lifted from the closed position.

I don't think having the boot open fully from the fob is possible (as much as I would also like this), regardless of what struts you put on. I'm pretty sure the boot catch is designed deliberately in a way so that the boot just 'pops' open and then you can lift it a little before the struts take it the rest of the way.

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
I don't think having the boot open fully from the fob is possible (as much as I would also like this), regardless of what struts you put on. I'm pretty sure the boot catch is designed deliberately in a way so that the boot just 'pops' open and then you can lift it a little before the struts take it the rest of the way.

It was the same on the MK2 until you changed how the catch operates with VCDS,

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=345412

This might also be possible on the MK3.

Deleted member 98136

I bought this set:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121816436948?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

you can expect something like this after changing the original ones with new ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3GNd9FefPY

What year / model did you fit them to ? As your profile says you don't drive anything ?

Also stu_m in his post has quoted a more expensive price for the struts, this is from the same German supplier as in your post, I wonder if they might be a different model, as I'd like to make sure first before I place an order.

Leonfr140

Aug 18, 2013
East Sussex
Mine seem ok so far, but this time last year i had a 63 plate 1.6TDI SE from Enterprise and that boot creaked when opened and more so when opened fully!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.