DSG judder

Raven

Mar 10, 2014
Never experienced 1.
2nd, ohh yes. Have once got a revlimiter warning when it didn't shift to 3rd fast enough. I've also got lots of hesitations between 3rd to 4th in D-mode.

3. When using maybe 50% throttle in D-mode when it shifts from 2nd - 3rd and 3rd to 4th I get a pretty bad shift. Like you're dropping the clutch to fast. Happens at 50% throttle and maybe 3500-4000rpm shiftpoint in d-mode.

Sent using my fingers

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
When it happens going from 2nd > 1st does it feel like the car is almost kangaroo'ing, like a learner driver pulling away?

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
When it happens going from 2nd > 1st does it feel like the car is almost kangaroo'ing, like a learner driver pulling away?

No mate. The sensation is similar to trying to pull away in second or third with a manual box. The box labours. That's the feeling when it goes from second to first.

JF77

Oct 28, 2003
Derby
Visit site
I too have DSG issues.
The engine revs rise to near 2k when its dropping from 2nd to 1st. makes crawiling in traffic a nightmare.
Dealer says there's nothing wrong, I now have SEAT UK invoved.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
I too have DSG issues.
The engine revs rise to near 2k when its dropping from 2nd to 1st. makes crawiling in traffic a nightmare.
Dealer says there's nothing wrong, I now have SEAT UK invoved.

The dealer fixed this rev rising issue when coming to a stop on my car by changing the engine coolant pump and something else - all under warranty. They took it for an extended test though to diagnose a fault. Ask your dealer to do the same. I can scan the warranty repair sheet and upload it here later if you like?

Last edited:

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Sounds like something is well wrong, never had this in any of my 3 DSG Cupras I have had.

That isn't what's happening - that was a question put to me to get a sense of what I'm talking about. As mentioned, the sensation is similar to trying to pull away in second or third with a manual box. The box labours. That's the feeling when it goes from second to first

Last edited:

JF77

Oct 28, 2003
Derby
Visit site
Finally someone who has the same issue I thought I was the only one!

Please upload the repair sheet and I'll let my contact at SEAT UK know.
They were going to take it down to Milton Keynes as my dealer couldnt fix it.

I thought it would be more of a sensor issue rather that a mechanical component but what do I know - I only design jet engines!

Thank you JACUPRA280 you've made my day!

J.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Finally someone who has the same issue I thought I was the only one!

Please upload the repair sheet and I'll let my contact at SEAT UK know.
They were going to take it down to Milton Keynes as my dealer couldnt fix it.

I thought it would be more of a sensor issue rather that a mechanical component but what do I know - I only design jet engines!

Thank you JACUPRA280 you've made my day!

J.

Hi mate,

You can find a scan of the warranty audit here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zyekxs6e12anigp/SEAT%20REVS%20RISING.jpg?dl=0

I've removed the reg for obvious reasons. It includes dealership information, just in case your dealer can talk to them?

With my car, the revs would rise 99 times out of 100 when I'd come to a stop. It randomly started to do this - it didn't do it from day one. Sometimes it would rev to 2000rpm and other times 1500rpm.

At first the technician thought it was the throttle controller. To be honest the revs do still fluctuate but it's much less than before.

Last edited:

cupriki

Dec 6, 2015
Hi All

I have a brand new 280 DSG SC. It's my first DSG car coming from a buttery smooth "proper BMW auto". I've spent far far too many hours searching to find out if what I experience is normal or not. It seems lots say it is, lots say it isn't and lots go get their mechatronic units etc replaced, with no improvements. Here's my experience:

The good bit - Accelerating through the gears is typically very smooth, quick and efficient. This bit I like :)

The annoying bits:

Stopping / coming to a stop - disengagement feeling and juddering

When the car's cold, for example, in normal D comfort mode, just letting it creep up the gears (that's smooth) and then having to stop "relatively suddenly and not in a relaxed fashion due to traffic etc" from 5th gear @ 40mph all the way down to first, mine has a "disengaging sensation" approaching the stop, like you would do in a manual putting the clutch in quickly so you don't stall. It's like the car gets confused and isn't fast enough in its down shifting. I'm trying to pin down a pattern, but I believe it is more pronounced when cold. While re-engaging is felt, as slowing to a full stop, there are elements of judder / even mild grind, which I believe, (logically?) to be clutch slipping (it feels far rougher than a slipping clutch in a manual does, maybe its the "cold oil thing", maybe it really is rubbing the hell out of itself, don't know, but it's certainly juddery on some subtle level) Ironically a manual car / clutch slipping and re-engagement feels much smoother done by a skilled human! This issue is far less pronounced after eg a 20 min journey, barely perceptible. "Warm oil"?

I also believe that, due to the fact that I take my shoes off while driving... (feel free to judge me!) that I can personally feel a lot more through the pedals, than others who don't do this can. Hence the net is full of "mine doesn't do that" as they probably can't feel it through their shoes. When I've left my shoes on, with nice thick rubbery soles, indeed the sensation is less.

Stopping / coming to a stop - judder from 3rd to 2nd gear

When letting the car slow itself, down shifting to a crawl, the 3rd to 2nd shift is (or was, keep reading) quite harsh and sudden (like when you engage the clutch in a manual too quickly and when the engine speed isn't optimal). It's now far less pronounced, after I tried the "hold down the accelerator for 20 or so seconds, before starting the car trick". There doesn't seem to be a consensus whether that little "hack" really exists or not, of course dealers deny it does as they want your money, but it's honestly improved mine no end... BTW - it was the same in the BMW I've come from...

After spending far too long searching others' historical online complaints about similar DSG issues, I think I've come to the conclusion (and hope!) that these are just part of the quirky behaviour (operating parameters) of the thing and is normal. However, I will be telling my dealer about these and I will be asking to test another one.

Would be great to hear everyone elses' thoughts too!

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Hi All

I have a brand new 280 DSG SC. It's my first DSG car coming from a buttery smooth "proper BMW auto". I've spent far far too many hours searching to find out if what I experience is normal or not. It seems lots say it is, lots say it isn't and lots go get their mechatronic units etc replaced, with no improvements. Here's my experience:

The good bit - Accelerating through the gears is typically very smooth, quick and efficient. This bit I like :)

The annoying bits:

Stopping / coming to a stop - disengagement feeling and juddering

When the car's cold, for example, in normal D comfort mode, just letting it creep up the gears (that's smooth) and then having to stop "relatively suddenly and not in a relaxed fashion due to traffic etc" from 5th gear @ 40mph all the way down to first, mine has a "disengaging sensation" approaching the stop, like you would do in a manual putting the clutch in quickly so you don't stall. It's like the car gets confused and isn't fast enough in its down shifting. I'm trying to pin down a pattern, but I believe it is more pronounced when cold. While re-engaging is felt, as slowing to a full stop, there are elements of judder / even mild grind, which I believe, (logically?) to be clutch slipping (it feels far rougher than a slipping clutch in a manual does, maybe its the "cold oil thing", maybe it really is rubbing the hell out of itself, don't know, but it's certainly juddery on some subtle level) Ironically a manual car / clutch slipping and re-engagement feels much smoother done by a skilled human! This issue is far less pronounced after eg a 20 min journey, barely perceptible. "Warm oil"?

I also believe that, due to the fact that I take my shoes off while driving... (feel free to judge me!) that I can personally feel a lot more through the pedals, than others who don't do this can. Hence the net is full of "mine doesn't do that" as they probably can't feel it through their shoes. When I've left my shoes on, with nice thick rubbery soles, indeed the sensation is less.

Stopping / coming to a stop - judder from 3rd to 2nd gear

When letting the car slow itself, down shifting to a crawl, the 3rd to 2nd shift is (or was, keep reading) quite harsh and sudden (like when you engage the clutch in a manual too quickly and when the engine speed isn't optimal). It's now far less pronounced, after I tried the "hold down the accelerator for 20 or so seconds, before starting the car trick". There doesn't seem to be a consensus whether that little "hack" really exists or not, of course dealers deny it does as they want your money, but it's honestly improved mine no end... BTW - it was the same in the BMW I've come from...

After spending far too long searching others' historical online complaints about similar DSG issues, I think I've come to the conclusion (and hope!) that these are just part of the quirky behaviour (operating parameters) of the thing and is normal. However, I will be telling my dealer about these and I will be asking to test another one.

Would be great to hear everyone elses' thoughts too!

That's what this whole thread is about. I'm the OP and what you've described I described in my original post. A juddering sensation when the box is changing down. It is not normal behaviour. The vast majority of gearboxes do not do this. Good to hear somebody else has the issue I have however.

schofier

Aug 16, 2014
Southampton
Had a DSG Golf GTi for 6 years. Juddering when coming to a stop was common. Also occasional hesitation/jerkiness when trying to pull out from a junction momentarily after stopping. Also used to crawl along in traffic jams in 2nd gear when in Auto mode, but as soon as you moved it into manual mode it would drop down into first gear. All of these things I had for the full 6 years, but no major failures ensued. Went back to a manual for my Cupra.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
That can't be right!
There's something odd going on with the clutch.
I would show that to the dealer...
My DSG is nothing like that, all be it set up for a diesel, but what you have got going on there can't be good for the clutches.

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG

JF77

Oct 28, 2003
Derby
Visit site
I have taken to the dealer and they can't find anything. SEAT uk are on the case but they need to take the car away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cupriki

Dec 6, 2015
You've driven the vast majority of DSG gearboxes and they don't have this behaviour? I'm not being facetious, just what do you mean / where's your data from?

I'm bemused and kind of gutted at what I've bought at the mo.. Although as I say I suspect it's "normal" / considered normal.

When mine's in motion and not dribbling about in traffic, it's great, handles fantastically too.

That's what this whole thread is about. I'm the OP and what you've described I described in my original post. A juddering sensation when the box is changing down. It is not normal behaviour. The vast majority of gearboxes do not do this. Good to hear somebody else has the issue I have however.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.