H7R Kits YES or NO

robthebubble

LED & Headlight Master
Feb 22, 2011
Solihull, West Midlands
You realise that a h7 illuminates the bottom of the reflector right? There is no inbuilt glare shield in a h7. The reason that all hids in reflectors blind everyone is that the light is emitted from a point further back in the reflector than a standard halogen, which causes scattered light to blind everyone.

Same comment as I made above! :p

unerdanielson

Oct 27, 2009
Could I run a H7R kit inside the headlight units you get on ebay the devil eye ones £200 plus they seem to be projectors?

You could run normal HID's inside projector lamps. However there is another post on here regarding them. Basically you will invalidate the warranty on them and, there output is not as good as OEM projectors. Let me know if you go down this route, I haven't actually seen a good photo of them fitted or in use. Robthebubble is the man to talk to for projectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

unerdanielson

Oct 27, 2009
Is it true to say that 5000k would give slightly more output with them being lower in lumens?

robthebubble

LED & Headlight Master
Feb 22, 2011
Solihull, West Midlands
You could run normal HID's inside projector lamps. However there is another post on here regarding them. Basically you will invalidate the warranty on them and, there output is not as good as OEM projectors. Let me know if you go down this route, I haven't actually seen a good photo of them fitted or in use. Robthebubble is the man to talk to for projectors.

The problem with these 'projector' headlights is that they are not projectors as such...they are just a glass dome with a poor cutoff angle. True projectors have a set distance with an electronic solenoid which opens/closes the cutoff shield. Using Hids on these eBay projectors invalidates the warranty as the hids are too close to the glass...before you know it your lights have gone brown and worst case started to melt.

As for retrofit projectors...I'm your man! ;)

Is it true to say that 5000k would give slightly more output with them being lower in lumens?

A fraction however not much in it....I prefer 5000k as its a clear white, 6000k will have a tiny bit of blue when you look at it for certain angles.

unerdanielson

Oct 27, 2009
https://vimeo.com/149507234

Finally got round to installing a H7R kit 5000k. However I now have this dilemma of bulb light not matching. The sidelight installed is a Phillips White Vision and obviously the other is just an LED. Should I have gone 6000k? The HID's start out white but gain a slight yellow tint to them. I was under the impression 5000k was white from what I'd seen.

Paddy

Devil's advocate!
Jun 30, 2014
Glasgow
I know the rules about aftermarket HID kits have changed but after a terrifying drive on a country road in the dark and rain I realised how poor halogens are. Just wanted to know who's running the H7R kits and do you get any trouble with them and are they worth it?

If you think your journey on the dark road was terrifying, think about the old dear you'll be blinding on the same dark roads as your hurl towards her.

Invest in projector headlights if you need HIDs, it's as simple as that.

Paddy

Devil's advocate!
Jun 30, 2014
Glasgow
The H7R hids don't blind...H7 kids do blind. However projectors are the preferred option but as a quick pre fix H7Rs are ok.

In my experience, the difference between H7R and H7 kits is marginal - I wouldn't recommend either. It's absolutely horrible to be driving towards or behind someone with reflectors and HIDs... If you really care about your safety (apparently the argument for 'upgrading'), invest in the proper kit and appropriate headlights.

robthebubble

LED & Headlight Master
Feb 22, 2011
Solihull, West Midlands
You must have had some bad experiences then...probably scallies with the 55w kit and not the 35w kit! I agree that correct projectors are the way but H7R don't blind due to their setup...the bottom of the reflector is very dim due to the bulbs design and it's the bottom which reflects the light up and causes the glare/dazzle.

As someone who converts headlights to bixenon and has tested both types I know the difference better than most. Obviously I don't want to say that H7Rs are better than projectors as they are not...Id be doing myself out of potential business...but as a better alternative to halogen which don't blind then I think they are suitable.

vfr400racer

May 21, 2014
Kent
H7r kits do blind, end of.

I hate the things. The H7R kits dont stop all the glare and on an unlit road you get blinded coming the other way 9 times out of 10. I always give them abit of full beam to remind them they have blinded me. As above if you want to get hids get them in projector and properly aligned. If you have a crash and the other person cites being blinded by hids in reflectors the insurance company could have grounds to dismiss the claim. Not a situation anyone wants to find themselves in.

robthebubble

LED & Headlight Master
Feb 22, 2011
Solihull, West Midlands
Don't shoot the messenger here, but Just wondering if those who say the H7Rs blind know this as a fact...have they stopped the other driver and asked if the have standard hids or H7Rs?

Anyway, enough tit for tat....projectors are the best way to overcome any problems and have a great cutoff line too!

unerdanielson

Oct 27, 2009
The H7R hids don't blind...H7 kids do blind. However projectors are the preferred option but as a quick pre fix H7Rs are ok.

I went with a H7R kit 35W and aligned it correctly and have had no problems. I also agree projectors are the way forward however as a quick fix H7R's have give me no trouble. To be fair I have had glare from factory fitted projectors as well.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members