power steering completely gone

Tricksc

It's Tricky
Dec 29, 2011
Sheffield
power steering has gone on my ibiza this week managed to get it in to local seat dealer yesterday which they have found out it needs a new rack, contol unit & pump which have alll failed. car is also out warranty so total is a £1000 bill to get it fixed.

anyone else had this problem with theres?

Feb 8, 2011
It's hard to believe that it needs both a new rack and a new control unit/pump since these are two separate assemblies and it's only hydraulic fluid that links them.
I'd get a second opinion if I were you.

Tricksc

It's Tricky
Dec 29, 2011
Sheffield
It's hard to believe that it needs both a new rack and a new control unit/pump since these are two separate assemblies and it's only hydraulic fluid that links them.
I'd get a second opinion if I were you.

there was water on the contacts of the pump & rack same on control unit, got it checked out at work as i work for vw commercials but couldnt get it done there, just need to know how water got on to contacts.

Feb 8, 2011
But surely the rack doesn't have any electrical contacts; it's purely a mechanical assembly isn't it?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
But surely the rack doesn't have any electrical contacts; it's purely a mechanical assembly isn't it?

The only electrical item that could be classed as part of the rack is the steering angle sensor

Angle sensor - possible water damage
Pump - possible water damage
Rack - no way water has damaged it.

Like you - I cant believe that all three items have all failed together.

Tricksc

It's Tricky
Dec 29, 2011
Sheffield
control unti is built into the rack inself i think, getting my car back tomorrow so will find out why everything did fail.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
control unti is built into the rack inself i think, getting my car back tomorrow so will find out why everything did fail.

No, the control unit is built into the pump.

US-6R0423156A_1.jpg

If you really have water inside as you said, you also need to solve the problem that is causing that because if you don't it will happen again.

The rack is only mechanical, the only thing electrical in the rack is a sensor.

The pump is located here:

IMG_20150801_163741.jpg

Last edited:

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
The pumps are prone to water ingress, they no longer have any electrical connections on the rack. its all done through an angle sensor on the upper column. sounds more like they have no idea what's failed and want to change everything to cover their backs.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
The pumps are prone to water ingress, they no longer have any electrical connections on the rack. its all done through an angle sensor on the upper column. sounds more like they have no idea what's failed and want to change everything to cover their backs.

It depends, mine still has the G250 sensor in the rack. My car is from 2008.
Cars with ESP usually use the angle sensor but mine has ESP and still has the G250 so I don't know wich was the criteria. I can only guess that it was some transtion fase or something. I even tried to program the pump to use the angle sensor and it worked perfectly!
Anyway this user problem seems to be in the pump/control unit wich are the same part commonly know as just pump.

Last edited:

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
2008 is mk4/mk5 change over time so it's mk4 gear on a mk5 chassis. esp requires direct wheel feedback so it uses the window box on the column.
Water logged pumps are a common fault. I dare say a new pump will cure the issue. there's a tech bulletin on the subject.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
2008 is mk4/mk5 change over time so it's mk4 gear on a mk5 chassis. esp requires direct wheel feedback so it uses the window box on the column.
Water logged pumps are a common fault. I dare say a new pump will cure the issue. there's a tech bulletin on the subject.

Do you have the bolletin?
I also had this problem, I had to replace the pump twice last year (2015).

Last edited:

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
The description in the bulletin is something along the lines of "due to internal diaphragm failure, some pumps may suffer internal water ingress". Basically (and as you've already said) the main live/earth plug isn't water tight and lets water in which damages the motor and circuit board.

New pumps now have a modified diaphragm.

Last edited:

IbizaMK5CupraDB

Apr 22, 2014
Cheshire
Had the diagnosis yesterday and it's the control unit that's gone, luckily I extended my warranty and they have agreed to repair it. The car hasn't even done 40k yet.
£179 for warranty which was initially a chunk of money but I'm glad I did, I think I'll sell my car now as my trust has gone as this is the second Ibiza I've owned where PAS has failed on me.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise