LCR vs K1

cupraNW

Jul 17, 2015
Wolverhampton
Don't want this to turn into an argumentative thread as I know how much hate the k1 body kit gets from some people. But anyway.

Im 20, 21 next July have a write off and 3 points on license and currently have a 63 plate Ibiza Cupra and love it, cheap insurance considering and the car has the power and also a very nice interior and great looks to it on the exterior.

But next year after I'm 21 I would like to upgrade to either an LCR or K1. I love the K1, even the body kit is very nice (opinion) and like the centre exhaust just as much as the twin exit that an LCR has. The ones I'm looking at has a nice interior with a nav but I would probably re-trim the dash and doors to leather through a friend and make it that bit nicer.

The thing I'm finding weird is the insurance. The LCR is like £800 more expensive than the k1, I assume that's because it's newer by about 4 years but the values I find are about the same.

I know insurers are absolute retards when it's comes to making quotes most of the time but why is the k1 so much cheaper (like 1/3 cheaper) than the LCR to insure. I mean it only has an extra 30hp and that's not that great when you compare the actual figures. Is 30bhp really that worthy of increasing the value of the insurance by that much?

Dorny

Feb 23, 2015
Its all statistics based, so more than likely there has been more crashes/breakings/stolen reports and claims for the cupra R than standard cupras. From the point of view of the insurance company the K1 is just a normal Cupra so it is seen to be less likely to be stolen or crashed compared to the more desirable, faster and newer LCR

But the reality is a genuine K1 is rarer than a LCR, so they keep their price better.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2012
Gateshead
The K1 is just a Cupra, and a pre-facelift one at that so it's realistic value will be around £8k-£9k where as the LCR will be about £14k-£15k, that's nearly double the value

I'm no expert but the LCR is quite rare where as the K1 body kit is still available(£1500ish) I'd rather not pay the K1 fanboy premium,just an idea if you can't stomach the £800 premium ,buy a newer facelift Cupra(£9k-£10k) and buy the body kit from sere seat,that way you'll have a newer facelift car,that will be worth more to any dealer/wbac when you come to sell and not just rely on another K1 fan to pay you the premium

Paddy

Devil's advocate!
Jun 30, 2014
Glasgow
LCR wins hands down for me. The interior and age of the K1 are a no no for me... I bought the facelift cupra with the quilted leather etc etc as it still saved me a bit of money over the LCR - for the same engine! Do that, then the Supercopa kit maybe if that's your thing :/

Personally i thinks its down to personal preference when i bought my k1 cupra i had decided upon a k1 purely down to the fact that your getting the same car for less money when compared to the cupra r i must add i like both,
The interior didnt give much more when you can get a well specced k1 and still have the same comforts inside as the cupra r only thing missing was the leather really and i dont like leather so it was a no brainer for me.
As for bumper changes if its the cupra r style from the rear your after then you could just get a facelift cupra or just a cupra and get the cupra r rear on it without paying the premium and still have change to bring the engine maps the same and you probably wont pay the cupra r prices on insurance that way.

So if its the R looks your after just buy either a facelift cupra or the prefacelift cupra and stick the cupra r rear on it.
Also if your after the leathers and your friend or who ever can retrim the normal cupra seats cheap then do that the only thing your really miss out on is the over sized 19" wheels but after driving a cupra on 18" wheels for a while you wont miss the 19" wheels because the ride is firm enough on 18" wheels anyway.

Dorny

Feb 23, 2015
I was lucky with my K1, the previous owner looked after it well and also converted the climate/heater controls to the facelift version and also retro fitted a RNS510 sat nav. And like cupra.al said I'm not a fan of leather seats either.

The only real difference between the dash display is that instead of it being a black screen with red visuals, its white visuals. Which again doesn't bother me.

The major down fall for preface lift cars was the climate and stereo controls ie the central dash which does look old. But its not a lot of money or effort to retro fit the newer facelift versions.

I am puzzled by the hate and dislike the K1 gets in this community.

Last edited:

cupraNW

Jul 17, 2015
Wolverhampton
Thanks for the replies.

In all fairness I'll probably get the facelift Cupra because even with the LCR, the interior is crap for me hence why I would probably retrim the inside anyway no matter which one I chose.

I would also end up putting in an aftermarket nav if the car was great but didn't have one and a few bits and pieces. I would get the LCR diffuser and exhaust exits because they are great looking to me just like the R for the golf range.

As for the seats I don't fancy crinkled old leather like 95% of leather seats get second hand especially if they're a few years gone so I would end up putting in LCR seats or that similar. Basically I would be spending a grand on retrimming the inside whether it be an LCR or the FL Cupra anyway.

I was lucky with my K1, the previous owner looked after it well and also converted the climate/heater controls to the facelift version and also retro fitted a RNS510 sat nav. And like cupra.al said I'm not a fan of leather seats either.

The only real difference between the dash display is that instead of it being a black screen with red visuals, its white visuals. Which again doesn't bother me.

The major down fall for preface lift cars was the climate and stereo controls ie the central dash which does look old. But its not a lot of money or effort to retro fit the newer facelift versions.

I am puzzled by the hate and dislike the K1 gets in this community.
wouldnt say it was really hate, my choice for facelift over pre was the front bumper and headlights, newer front end look thinks it's due to the cupra and FR facelift looks wider where as the pre has a deeper look. Also the facelift rear the boot lid had the glass from edge to edge but my pet hate is the pre facelift boot, why does it have Metal down either side, for me makes a strange looking back end

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
I had a 57 plate cupra with the BTCC kit on, essentially same kit as K1 but with the twin exit exhaust. It was great and got a lot of looks. Now i have a FL CUPRA R and for me personally, the interior is a mucg better place to be. Get a FL cupra and get the kit fitted after market, best of both worlds.

Paddy

Devil's advocate!
Jun 30, 2014
Glasgow
Thanks for the replies.

In all fairness I'll probably get the facelift Cupra because even with the LCR, the interior is crap for me hence why I would probably retrim the inside anyway no matter which one I chose.

I would also end up putting in an aftermarket nav if the car was great but didn't have one and a few bits and pieces. I would get the LCR diffuser and exhaust exits because they are great looking to me just like the R for the golf range.

As for the seats I don't fancy crinkled old leather like 95% of leather seats get second hand especially if they're a few years gone so I would end up putting in LCR seats or that similar. Basically I would be spending a grand on retrimming the inside whether it be an LCR or the FL Cupra anyway.

The quilted leather of the LCR is a different league to 'old and crinkled' lol... Mines a 2010 with 50k on the clock and they're like new!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise