Reprogram remote key without standard key.

Catherine66

Jan 4, 2016
Hi all.

First of all, thanks for a clean, easy to navigate forum with lots of knowledgeable people. Secondly, I'm new to Seat ownership and hope someone can help me. I have spent time looking round trying to fins an answer to my query, just with no success.

I bought a 56 plate Leon 1.9TDI. It only came with one key, the remote locking/unlocking one. It won't operate the locks and alarm, even though the red light on the fob flashes. This is the only key I got so can't do the old one in the ignition, one in the door trick to reprogram it. Is there any way I can reprogram the key to operate as it should without going to the dealers? I know I've been able to do this before with other makes, I'm just really hoping I can do it with this one as well.

If there is a procedure to follow, can someone explain to me what steps to take to resolve this issue.

Many thanks in advance.

find some one with vag tacho. autologic, super vag k. all you need to do is read the skc pin once you have got it you can have as many keys as you want aslong as you then program them through vcds which half the population has

Catherine66

Jan 4, 2016
Thanks for your fast reply, appreciate it. I think I get the gist of what you said, but not 100% sure on everything I will need. I'm guessing those are tools and/or software? If so, is it something I could do myself? I have some knowledge of cars, but all the intricacies of the electronic stuff is something I will need to learn as I go along.

If I can get hold of the things I need, can you give me instructions or point me to where I can find them to get the job done?

Thanks again.

Paddy

Devil's advocate!
Jun 30, 2014
Glasgow
You'll be able to get a new key got roughly £100 - worth it when you consider the amount you'd need to spend on software and the time spent learning how to do it mate...

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
You just need VCDS to sync the remote fob to operate the locks and alarm, no SKC needed. Will take a couple of minutes if you can find someone with it, or buy yourself a cheap £20 clone from China.

As for coding new keys on a Mk2, not sure on the early cars, but certainly the later cars need more than just the SKC and VCDS to code them in. My 57 plate Leon has Immo 4C (see here: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Immobilizer) and can not be done with VCDS alone, even with the SKC.

Catherine66

Jan 4, 2016
Thanks folks, I appreciate the help. I have an OBD II bluetooth adapter and a copy of VCDS I downloaded from sources unnamed. Can you tell me if this will do the job, and if so can you point me to a guide that will walk me through sorting my problem.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.