power steering completely gone

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Had the diagnosis yesterday and it's the control unit that's gone, luckily I extended my warranty and they have agreed to repair it. The car hasn't even done 40k yet.
£179 for warranty which was initially a chunk of money but I'm glad I did, I think I'll sell my car now as my trust has gone as this is the second Ibiza I've owned where PAS has failed on me.

Yes, I will not buy an Ibiza again either because of the PAS.

Feb 8, 2011
Yes, I will not buy an Ibiza again either because of the PAS.

The new cars are completely different and have an all electric PAS system. That may, or may not be, more reliable!!

By the way if the car in question has no ESP (possibly a UK 1.4 85 PS) then there will be no steering angle sensor on the steering column and nothing electrical associated with the rack at all.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
The new cars are completely different and have an all electric PAS system. That may, or may not be, more reliable!!

By the way if the car in question has no ESP (possibly a UK 1.4 85 PS) then there will be no steering angle sensor on the steering column and nothing electrical associated with the rack at all.

Mine has both G250 and G85.
All I can say is that my car had two new pumps that burned last year and I still have problems, my steering feels stiff sometimes and light other times. :cry:

Already bleed the system multiple times, replaced the G250 sensor, changed the fluid multiple times, changed positive battery cable, changed main connector into the pump, changed fusebox above the battery, changed hydraulic lines from the pump to the rack, changed the non return valve, changed battery twice and changed the cable from the steering sensor from the pump to the rack.

All without result.

Last edited:

IbizaMK5CupraDB

Apr 22, 2014
Cheshire
Got car back and the bill was £1100 all in, I consider myself lucky due to extending my warranty meant I only paid the excess on my policy.
My advice for what it's worth is for those without any cover or warranty is to get it covered as you never know what's around the corner. Good luck to all.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Got car back and the bill was £1100 all in, I consider myself lucky due to extending my warranty meant I only paid the excess on my policy.
My advice for what it's worth is for those without any cover or warranty is to get it covered as you never know what's around the corner. Good luck to all.

Nice good luck, hope it is solved for good.

This is how my steering is right now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFJnHAO1ChY

Tricksc

It's Tricky
Dec 29, 2011
Sheffield
got mine back yesterday total bill was £1109 steering rack has not been replaced only pas pump & control unit been replaced. mine is a 1.4 16v 85ps sportrider in white water had corroded the contacts on the pump as water sprayed up from under the car that what has caused this.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
got mine back yesterday total bill was £1109 steering rack has not been replaced only pas pump & control unit been replaced. mine is a 1.4 16v 85ps sportrider in white water had corroded the contacts on the pump as water sprayed up from under the car that what has caused this.

Wich contacts? Outside or inside the pump? I don't believe it's from under the car... look at this thread.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showpost.php?p=4592529&postcount=16

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2011
Sorry folks, my error.
All the electro-hydraulic cars have the G250 it's the G85 that's probably only fitted to the ones with ESP. Gleaned from SSP259.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Just another issue with these cars, I was doing an oil change on daughter's late 2009 Ibiza 1.4 SC with almost 40K miles, I had a quick look around while under the car and discovered the rigid power steering lines leading to/away from the pump were corroded in a few places, time was tight so I just sprayed them with some chain grease that I had to hand, also serious corrosion where the A/C fluid pipe manifold is on the radiator heat exchanger/condenser, again sprayed with chain grease to keep water away from it. Wife's old Polo 9N had corrosion on the power steering lines near the rack - but that was when it was almost 12 years old, not 6 years old like this Ibiza is!

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Just another issue with these cars, I was doing an oil change on daughter's late 2009 Ibiza 1.4 SC with almost 40K miles, I had a quick look around while under the car and discovered the rigid power steering lines leading to/away from the pump were corroded in a few places, time was tight so I just sprayed them with some chain grease that I had to hand, also serious corrosion where the A/C fluid pipe manifold is on the radiator heat exchanger/condenser, again sprayed with chain grease to keep water away from it. Wife's old Polo 9N had corrosion on the power steering lines near the rack - but that was when it was almost 12 years old, not 6 years old like this Ibiza is!

That is very strange, I recently changed mine trying to solve a problem, I didn't solve the problem.
Anyway what I wanted to tell is that my old lines had some scratching at some location and even where there was no paint there is no rust or corrosion at all!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I think that our two completely different global locations accounts for that - in Northern United Kingdom, we get a lot of rain, more this year than previously and snow/ice maybe in winter months which mean a lot of salt is laid on to the roads to prevent icing - that will cause a lot of corrosion in these frontal areas.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'm sure that in your case it would be good to get your local VAG dealer to carry out this test, I would not think that any DIY mechanic should try that unless they have been trained to work on high pressure hydraulic systems and have suitable manifold sets as 105Bar(g) can damage your health!

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
I didn't touch the car this sunday and today the car PAS was great, looks like witchcraft or something.
I can't understand it...
Next saturady I will remove the bumper and check the wiring.

Last edited:

dm222

Dec 7, 2013

My steering pump was replaced 8 months ago and it has 3500 miles. When I left the garage steering was nice and in the next two weeks it got progressibly heavier.

Now most of the time is heavier and sometimes gets lighter.

Anyway, I found someone with the exact same symptoms (lighter leaving the garage then heavier etc) that started going normal after 5500 miles without doing nothing. The mechanic in his case said it probably needed mileage.

As it is probably the most replaced part on this vehicle, I am wondering if of you, who replaced with a new pump, experienced something like this? (only new pumps, used ones probably don't have this problem)

Last edited:

Tricksc

It's Tricky
Dec 29, 2011
Sheffield
My steering pump was replaced 8 months ago and it has 3500 miles. When I left the garage steering was nice and in the next two weeks it got progressibly heavier.

Now most of the time is heavier and sometimes gets lighter.

Anyway, I found someone with the exact same symptoms (lighter leaving the garage then heavier etc) that started going normal after 5500 miles without doing nothing. The mechanic in his case said it probably needed mileage.

As it is probably the most replaced part on this vehicle, I am wondering if of you, who replaced with a new pump, experienced something like this? (only new pumps, used ones probably don't have this problem)

my steering is fine since it has been fixed no problems with it has been nearly 2months since been fixed.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.