Oil light flashing, climate control not working and outside air temp sensor faulty

jonathanp

Jan 5, 2005
Coventry
Recently I noticed my climate control had become completely unresponsive (doesn't even illuminate with the lights on). I thought I just needed to replace the unit and that would be that but after getting a 2nd hand one its still not showing anything on the display when pressing any of the buttons (however it now illuminates with the lights on).

I then realised that I no longer have an outside air temperature reading just "--.- c" etc. Also when turning the ignition on I get the oil light flash 3 times indicating a faulty sensor.

I can't help but think that all these three faults are connected and likely due to a faulty common ground or something similar.

Does anyone have any experience of this or could point me in the right direction of where to look?

I've checked all the fuses in the side of the dash and on top of the battery.

BTW car is MK1 LCR

Many thanks

Jon

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
The outside temp sensor is part of the climatronic system so that's probably why it's blank if your climate control isn't workng. Somebody else had a similar problem the other day and it turned out that fuse number 5 is shared by the climate control and the oil pressure sensor. He's the thread for reference. http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=425845

Like you say it may be a ground fault. If you have VCDS/vagcom then the climate control can be scanned for faults and might throw something more specific. The main ground for the battery is underneath the battery tray itself. I'll have a look at elsawin and see if i can trace the ground for oil pressure sensor itself

Edit, there is no earth shown on elsawin so gussing that it's earthed by the fact it's screwed in to the block. So maybe check the main earth to the battery under the battery tray.

earth%20points_zpsdvtkp1hy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

earth%20pointsbattery%20tray_zpsnaxz7kvf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Reactions: jonathanp

jonathanp

Jan 5, 2005
Coventry
thanks for the tip, I checked all the fuses but I will check again I wouldn't be surprised if I missed something :)

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
thanks for the tip, I checked all the fuses but I will check again I wouldn't be surprised if I missed something :)

Lol, it's easily done mate, like i say from what the other guy said fuse 5 was the key. I edited my earlier post with a pic of the engine compartment earth locations if thats any help. Good luck :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.