Power Steering Issue

TheProphet

Jan 11, 2016
Hi guys,

I've signed up in the hope that one of you can shed some light on a power steering issue that I am currently having.

I have never had an issue with the power steering previously, however intermittently when starting the car the warning light is on and it wont work.

I took it to a local garage who told me the pump needed replacing, after replacing it the fault was not fixed so they claimed that it was a wiring issue that had caused the old pump to blow, They have now had an auto electrician looking at the car for over 2 hours and he claims not to be able to find what is causing the issue and advised me to take the car to Seat.

Has anyone else ever had anything like this or know what the cause might be?

Thanks in advance.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Probably a dying battery, that quite often gives issues with the power steering.

Had the same issue on mine, previous owner even had the same work done.
Replaced the battery as soon as I got the car and the problems immediately stopped.

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
Most common issue with the mk4 is the racks leaking causing the reservoir to run dry but this normally manifests it's self as steering going heavy/ light

With this issue i'd fully charge the battery then carry out a load test, then I'd start checking the connections to the pump.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
If it's been to a garage you would hope they'd have noticed the rack had leaked all the fluid dry.

As they'd replaced the pump they would have had to refill the system anyway, so it would have worked ok until it leaked all the fluid out again.

DanSummerfield

Mar 1, 2015
Derby
I had the same issue, same thing as before swapped battery out and dont get it anymore, mine was an intermittent thing though

TheProphet

Jan 11, 2016
Thanks for the replies and suggestions guys. The battery is less than a year old however I will pop out and buy a new one just in case that is the cause.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Well if the battery was brand new a year ago it's unlikely to be the issue, unless you got one from a scrappy or bought some proper cheap rubbish brand.
Could still be something like a crap alternator not charging the battery right.

Other issues might be the steering angle sensor, you can get dirt/water in there which can mess it up.
sometimes removing it, cleaning it all up and refitting is sufficient.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Which model of Ibiza do you have, if it is a TDI then maybe the alternator load signal wiring has failed.

Is the alternator warning light on when you switch the ignition on, if so, does it go off when you start the engine?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members