1.8TSI How many miles to a tank?

will_0407

Oct 8, 2014
I'm in the market for a second hand one of these. I've seen some threads where people have quoted their miles per tank but they are relatively old threads where they haven't had the car long and from what I've read, I think miles should improve a little as the car is bedded in.

Likely to be looking at getting one 18-24 months old. Any owners out there that can tell me what to expect? I appreciate it will vary with driving style, so the more replies the merrier!

Last edited:

dannymellor13

Dec 7, 2015
Mines 25 month old 12k miles on clock. Dsg. Get around 3-350 but that is mostly driving to work & back in heavyish traffic & only a 6mile round trip. On a recent journey to Wales without much traffic did over 200 miles & still had just under 3/4 of a tank so would say it varies quite dramatically depending on usage/driving style.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

will_0407

Oct 8, 2014
Mines 25 month old 12k miles on clock. Dsg. Get around 3-350 but that is mostly driving to work & back in heavyish traffic & only a 6mile round trip. On a recent journey to Wales without much traffic did over 200 miles & still had just under 3/4 of a tank so would say it varies quite dramatically depending on usage/driving style.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

ok thanks. Wasn't too keen on the auto I drove today so will be keeping a look out for a manual.

FRvirgin

Jan 3, 2016
S Yorks
We have a 180TSI DSG, but only had it a week! Seems to be averaging around 35mpg at the mo but still driving it like its stolen most of the time enjoying the power and only short runs so far. Will let you know how many miles it goes on a tank but as it's SWMBOs daily driver, you might have to wait a couple of weeks for the verdict!

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
I've had a 1.8 manual for over 2 years now, and I get anywhere between 375 and 450 out of a tank depending on types of journey and how the car is driven.

One note of caution in relation to the above, the dial is a little optimistic. Mine regularly says there is 3/4 of a tank left after 200 miles, but then I still only manage to do another 200 miles tops. How does that work?

will_0407

Oct 8, 2014
Yeah my current diesel shows a good 130ish left when it's a little under a quarter tank, but that soon disappears!

ewen1605

Jan 17, 2016
Sheffield
I've had a 1.8 manual for over 2 years now, and I get anywhere between 375 and 450 out of a tank depending on types of journey and how the car is driven.

One note of caution in relation to the above, the dial is a little optimistic. Mine regularly says there is 3/4 of a tank left after 200 miles, but then I still only manage to do another 200 miles tops. How does that work?

You've just answered a question I had about the Leon before I collect mine!

My Mii's fuel gauge has a sort of exponential curve to it. The first 1/4 of a tank lasts for ages, but then it drops much much faster after that. The Toyota Aygo I had before was exactly the same - it has 6 'blocks' on its gauge. The first two would last for ages, but as soon as you got down to an indicated 2/3 of a tank, it would suddenly seem to empty very fast.

I guess the Leon has a similar sort of setup. The fuel gauge isn't necessarily indicative of how much fuel there is in the tank :p

FRvirgin

Jan 3, 2016
S Yorks
We've run about three or four tanks through our 30 month old 180TSI DSG since picking it up a couple of months ago, using 97/98 Ron fuel it's getting 400-450 on a tank, high 30s mpg round town and mid 40s on a decent run. Had a problem with the electronic thermostat which was causing it to run cool, but sorted under warranty and seems to have helped out on the mpg front too.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members