Mk1 LCR to Mk2 Leon Cupra/R

minute

Aug 15, 2013
Accrington
Hi All,

I've had my mk1 LCR for 2.5 years. Although it's still going strong, it's getting on a bit now at 124k miles so I'm looking at replacementss. One of the things I love about it is the peaky boost, kind of like an old school Jap nutter hatch :D

Naturally I'm drawn to the mk2 Cupra/R, but if I was to get one I the first thing I would do would be a stage 2 map + accompanying mods.

Just have a few questions:

Is the mk2 Leon Cupra / Cupra R generally reliable even when at 340bhp+?

Have any of you come from a mk1 Cupra R? What was better? What did you miss?

markrich

Sep 16, 2012
Stoke
I had a mk1 cupra r be it a good few years ago mate,it was a great car loved it,i have a FL cupra at the min the drive is far better try get one with all the toys on, the inside and dash is better I think just an all round improvement as it is a newer car you will not be disappointed
I am running revo intake BCS turbo back powervalve exhaust no map at all and it drives spot on, no trouble, no doubt when map it will be awesome

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
I had a mk1 LCR (225) for 5 years before finally letting go and getting a FL mk2 Cupra. It's way more improved that the mk1, by leaps and bounds. As markrich said, try to get one with toys on, I was lucky and got everything except satnav. The ride is more composed, it's more drivable and smoother, whereas I found my mk1 wanted to go fast everywhere.

It generally feels a lot more grown up so to speak than the mk1. I've had mine mapped with downpipe and sportscat, induction kit and stage 2 APR for almost two year now and it's going fine. Every now and then I get an engine management light appear, but after a few days it goes away again. Had it checked out at AMD Essex and all was well. My car is currently making 350BHP and no problems thus far.

Last edited:

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
The first time it happened it was investigated and nothing was wrong with the car. The light appeared for what seems like no reason. The fault was cleared and months passed before it appeared again for a couple of days, then it went away. So although the light has appeared more than once, the car is running perfectly normal, and has been since the mods were done. It's never gone into limp mode, it's never misfired, blew smoke, cut out, nothing. It's passed its MOT without issue.

Clazzer

Mar 17, 2014
Stoke on Trent
I run over 330 now (despite my sig) and it's my daily, not missed a beat so far. Takes abuse and behaves perfectly. I hope I don't regret saying this!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.