Dash binnacle rattle - any fixes?

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
The Leons instrument binnacle has really started to vibrate over poor surfaces or in the low revs.

I'm 99% sure it's the plastic instrument cover as when I have a poke around there's a small gap between he cover and the cowl.

IIRC I've seen posts on here for a dealer fix for this issue - does anyone know what said fix is so that I can have a go myself. Is there a way to remove the trim around the binnacle without having to remove half the dash and risk expensive trim replacement?

I'm tempted to put two small beads of transparent silicone in this gap...

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
Ive had a dash rattle but doesnt seem to be coming from the cover, I put some foam on top of the steering column and then trapped it in place by adjusting the column back to the height that I need it. Seems to have fixed the issue on my car.

If you can see a gap you can try putting a small piece of foam or rubber in it, see if the noise stops.

There is a Seat Technical Product Information (TPI) for a rattle from the dash panel. I got the info after buying some access time on erWIN ( https://erwin.seat.com/ ) . The Seat dealer fix is to stick two small felt pieces behind the dash panel.

I don't think I can share the full document on here but it is well worth registering on erWIN and buying some time. I got all relevant TPI and some other technical info in the hour that I bought.

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
That's really helpful thanks, Dt-spd.

Are you able to indicate which panel it is on the dash and if it can be (practically) removed with trim removal tools, please?

I have some absorber foam left from when I soundproofed the interior so I'll try putting some of that between the column and dash. Thanks again, much appreciated.

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
The TPI just says "Rattling is heard in the upper area of the driver side dash panel"

The pictures seem to show the panel that the instrument cluster fits into

Hope that helps

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
I literally fixed mine on sunday. The black cowling levers off, there's 2 main clips at the top and bottom plus a few more around the side (I levered it off at the sides as you get good access there). Once the shrowd is off the unit that houses the dials is attached by 2 screws and then just unclips from the top (really easy to remove). I then put some foam pads behind this, reinstalled the dials (no need to unplug) and pushed the shrowd back in. And no more rattles :)

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
Curtly, to confirm; the black plastic trim you're referring to is the cheaper/softer feeling plastic that surrounds the dials? That is the trim that can be unclipped yes?

Thanks

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Yep, that's the one. I had mine off the other day I should have taken some pictures :/. I forgot to mention that you should probably take the steering column trim off aswell (3 screws - 2 at the front 1 underneath then unclips) as the top half is connected to the flexible rubber trim that connects to the dial surround, this then can come off all together.

I found the dial surround was easiest to lever out from the 10 and 2 o'clock postions then pull at the top and then at the bottom.

Hope that makes sense?

Last edited:

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
Awesome, thanks Curtly. Just what I was looking for. Will hopefully find the time to do this at the w'end.

andy_l

Dec 22, 2013
Awesome, thanks Curtly. Just what I was looking for. Will hopefully find the time to do this at the w'end.

I performed the TPI as per erWin to stop the instrument cluster rattling but there was still a rattle from the instrument binnacle surround. In the end I replaced the 4 trim clips which secure the binnacle surround into the dash. Its completely rattle free now and has been for months - wish I could say the same about the rest of the car! ;)

I'm not saying replacing the clips is absolutely necessary (it is not mentioned in the SEAT TPI) but just something to bear in mind.

By the way, you shouldn't have to remove the steering column surround. The flexible rubber dust cover trim has a plastic part which clips into the back of the binnacle surround. If you put the steering column to the lowest position you'll find if you push the rubber cover away from you it just unclips.

Andy

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
Thanks Andy, I'll see what's what when I take it apart. Though I'm going to wedge something between the steering column and binnacle first, to see if it's the gap between the trim that's just catching a little.

Just to rule it out before I start taking trim off….

RuivoM

Dec 21, 2019
Bumping this, does anyone have the TPI instructions for this? I need a way to remove the plastic trim above the steering wheel but can't find a way to. Thanks!

DaveS

Jan 23, 2022
I came here looking for the same thing. This may help with removing the trim and the rattle:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.