Has anyone solved the 'clunk' at the rear?

Villers

Billy Villain
Apr 12, 2014
Cumbria
www.horizonwatches.com
As per the title really! My 2014 developed this knocking clunk at the back end of the car after around 14 months of ownership. It happens on rough or uneven ground mainly at sub 20mph speeds although Id suspect its just harder to hear it over the road noise.

Ive had the parcel shelf out, seats down, all the tools wedged down and even tried removing the covers off the light access panels, all with no difference.

I took it to the dealer who claimed to have 'tightened the exhaust bracket' but it started making the noise as soon as I got back in it!

It will be going back in next week but I'd love to hear of anyone elses experience of this, Ive read that others have had it and that its common to other VAG cars.

My car school buddies are getting driven mad by it, noit to mention my own experiences! Thanks in advance! :confused:

psychobob

Oct 6, 2005
Near Cardiff
I had a clunking/rattle noise and it was looked at during a service. It was a loose shock top bolt on the rear left (bolt was replaced)

hutchy14

Dec 30, 2013
I've had an sound like this also. What seems to happen with mines is when the car has been parked for a while I'll go start it up and when I release the handbrake sometimes the car won't move for a few seconds. Then when it does it makes the clunking sound from the back and continues while driving for a while then you can't hear it anymore. I've only had my car since June 2015 brand new so feeling a little cautious about it

Villers

Billy Villain
Apr 12, 2014
Cumbria
www.horizonwatches.com
Hi there Hutchy, what you are describing sounds a lot like the brakes binding to the discs due to mild surface corrosion. Nothing to worry about a lot if not all cars will do that eventually when left! Just sticking pads :)

hutchy14

Dec 30, 2013
Hi there Hutchy, what you are describing sounds a lot like the brakes binding to the discs due to mild surface corrosion. Nothing to worry about a lot if not all cars will do that eventually when left! Just sticking pads :)

I had a feeling it had something to do with that but wasn't sure. Thanks for clarifying though :)

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
As above also seen this complaint when a piece of gravel gets stuck in the rubber mounts on the spring causing a weird bump when driving

The dealers are correct In that the centre section of the exhaust can start to sag normally loosening them off pushing the exhaust up and re tightening can solve the issue but also seen this cause a bigger noise if the exhaust was twisted slightly on reassembly.

p1ngwin

Oct 26, 2015
Sweden
i have the same problem when the car has been parked for a while, can be 1 hour or 1 day but everytime i start up and drive its sounds CLONK from right rear.. i can just hear clonk 1 time when i start then its gone. Have just drive 3000km

Last edited:

andy_l

Dec 22, 2013
Mine clunks at the rear, noticeable particularly when cold, over speed humps etc. Mentioned it at the first (2yr) service, apparently they couldn't hear anything and declared No Fault Found. I couldn't be bothered to argue.

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
Honestly that's mostly the default answer they don't get paid for warranty diagnostic and there is no time allowed for it on top of the service time when the techs are all paid based on the efficiency you can imagine they don't spend a lot of time looking.

andy_l

Dec 22, 2013
Honestly that's mostly the default answer they don't get paid for warranty diagnostic and there is no time allowed for it on top of the service time when the techs are all paid based on the efficiency you can imagine they don't spend a lot of time looking.

Understood, I'm not blaming the techs. The SEAT dealership 'experience' is pretty awful though.

Last edited:

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
Understood, I'm not blaming the techs. The SEAT dealership 'experience' is pretty awful though.

oh indeed partly due to the vast amount of technicians (myself included) are leaving the trade for better paid work with less hours and less stress.

the auto industry is one of the worst paid for the amount of knowledge needed.

your average bricklayer is earning more than most master techs.

So dealerships are always looking out for new blood on the cheap under pay and over work and at the end of the day it just makes for bad service.

Villers

Billy Villain
Apr 12, 2014
Cumbria
www.horizonwatches.com
Yeah Ive had all that. Seats down, spare out etc. Had a good shake of the exhaust and checked the brackets, had the wheels off and looked for anything loose.

Its likely suspension. As I said and has been confirmed above they dont care enough to sort it. That means their chance has gone and so has my custom. I will try someone else instead of rewarding their shittiness with another sale! Waiting on the build date for a new car so I hopefully wont have long to wait!

Ken H

Dec 20, 2015
Cork , Ireland
Sounds like it! I'd have probably done the same myself . You can't beat an ol school mechanic , somebody your da would have gone to! Bet he'd solve it.

Last edited: