Mk3 FR Spoiler

Sniypa

May 27, 2012
I'm looking for a MK3 5F Spoiler too, I've had a look on eBay but not sure if any of them are any good. Does anyone know where to get an official one?

The ones on ebay look shocking, SG Petch do a decent looking spoiler.

Highlander

Mar 16, 2016
Would like to get one for my recently acquired FR 5dr....... can anyone tell me if it changes the amount of spray that hits the rear screen in the wet? I'm thinking it might cause a bigger vortex at the rear screen, resulting in more crud on the glass. What are everyone's experiences?

Highlander

Mar 16, 2016
I asked this last year. All the info and explanation I asked for with all the types here...

Cheers kevster ..... all good stuff, but my original question was does the spoiler materially increase (or decrease) the amount of spray hitting the rear screen when it's wet? Cos it's wet here.... a lot!

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Cheers kevster ..... all good stuff, but my original question was does the spoiler materially increase (or decrease) the amount of spray hitting the rear screen when it's wet? Cos it's wet here.... a lot!

I decided not to fit one in the end.

In regards to your question, very little I would have thought. Mudflaps are more likely to influence spray, but little again because the Mk3s are tiny.

Last edited:

Highlander

Mar 16, 2016
I'm think about how it influences airflow *over* the car, not *under* :D

Example: my V70 was terrible for the rear screen getting covered in dirty spray, because of the vertical rear screen - there's a vortex in the airflow at the rear that effectively sucks dirty road spray onto the screen. But when I had the towbar-mounted bike-rack and 3 mountain bikes on, the rear screen stayed clean, because the bikes broke up the vortex at the back, and the spray just covered the bikes instead!

What I'm worried about is that fitting a rear spoiler to the Leon will make a bigger vortex at the rear screen, resulting in having to run the rear wiper at all times in the wet.

Hope that's clear now.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
I'm think about how it influences airflow *over* the car, not *under* :D

Hope that's clear now.

I 100% understood your question, loud and clear.

My answer is still the same. IMO, and nothing more the spoiler will effect air over the car very little. I was only making reference to mudflaps!

Hope someone else has a before/after knowledge or a degree in aerodynamics. ;)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members