Low coolant!?

Obee72

Jan 7, 2015
Mines been on and off for a few days so just topped up today. It looked well below minimum so will have to book it in I think for a check....

12 months old.

Solo

May 30, 2015
I've had the light come on - topped up (as it was JUST below the marker) all seemed fine - few days later no heat coming out of the vents - Seat have looked at the car, and it needs a whole new heater matrix plus water bottle. car is freezing!!!!

Same happened to my 2 and a half year old golf 2.0TDi a few weeks ago. Low coolant warning, checked it, topped it up then 2 days later no heat. Checked coolant again (despite no warning light) and needed topping up again but no signs of any leak that I could see? Put nearly a whole bottle of coolant in in the end. Still no heat and another week until my appointment with the dealer (whilst we experience sub zero temperatures!).

Was your repair expensive and did it take them long?

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Called in to my local dealer (who I didn't purchase the car from)
General common sense advice, which was a far better than they have offered on previous experience.

Top Up to a known level and keep an eye for a couple of weeks.

Most likely the air lock/bleeding issue from factory. Which he told me about rather than me telling them.

shadak

Feb 13, 2014
Had this happen to me in 2014mk3 1.8 , started when temps hit below 0, when I got to buying a coolant it was well below minimum, wonder if it keeps happening.

Ocularis

Jan 2, 2015
Northampton
I had a leak on mine, all covered under warranty but took a while to get the part fitted and the tests to be done. been fine since.

Famandy1

Feb 20, 2015
North Yorkshire
Just had the red coolant warning light symbol come up on the dash today at 5,300 miles and 7 months old Checked under the bonnet and saw the coolant level was just below minimum, so bought some G13 from the brand new SEAT/SKODA showroom/garage at DM Keith in York and will top up when engine is cold in the morning. First car in living memory that I've had to top the coolant up on, but seems to be quite common among forum members, so hopefully nothing to worry about!

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Re checked coolant level today, has dropped over two weeks by 65ml, that's about 5mm below min back to min level.
Will let the dealer know as this is what they asked for and see.

jpor

May 10, 2015
Cheshire
Yep happened to me also on my 15 plate FR 184 TDI. Just came up one morning. Been fine since. Had posted up on here and got the same advice about the system and air lock.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Yep happened to me also on my 15 plate FR 184 TDI. Just came up one morning. Been fine since. Had posted up on here and got the same advice about the system and air lock.

Good to hear. Spoke to my supplying dearler today, advice is monitor, it should not use any, except for this air lock issue, then settle. Cambridge SEAT are wrong to say those engines use some.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.