Nokian WR D4 review and first impressions

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
UPDATE

I have just had the Nokian WR D4 taken off for the summer. They have been replaced with new Goodyear Asymmetric 2, which feel superb so far.

This update is surrounding wear rates. I will post pictures later on comparing the rears to the fronts. I expected the fronts to be more worn than the rears with the Cupra being a FWD car with lots of power and torque, however I didn't expect them to have worn so much. My rough measurements show that they have worn 50% on the front and 10% on the rear. I've clocked 3,000 miles on them.

I have been driving with them on since late October and we had warmish weather then up until around January. I reckon I'll get one more winter out of the 2 front tyres and nothing more; the cost of two tyres was around £320 fitted so I've paid £110 per winter for the front tyres. The front tyres will go on the rear next winter to even the tread wear, so maybe I can get three winters out of them, in which case I've paid £55 per winter per two tyres.

Regardless of wear rate and cost, however, I strongly recommend this tyre if you are looking for winter tyres. They pull you up icy, slushy and snowy roads that would be impassable with normal tyres and they drive like summer tyres otherwise.

My best experience with them so far has been up Woodhead Pass in Derbyshire. A Range Rover Sport with summer tyres couldn't get up a particularly slippery part of this road (to be fair, his tyres were bordering on the legal limit as well). I overtook him and drove on like it was nothing. The look on his face was hilarious (I did offer to give him a lift to his house, but he said he we would struggle on).

Overall, top tyres. Can't wait for the snow next year!

Original post

I had four Nokian WR D4 winter tyres put on my car this morning (Cupra 280), and this being a new tyre, I thought I would share my first impressions for other Leon drivers looking at this tyre.

I decided to stick winter tyres on my stock Cupra 280 alloys, rather than go for a narrower wheel, so the fitment is 235/35/R19. I chose the Nokian WR D4 tyre because it has A class wet braking and a 69db rating at this size. The WR D3, this tyre's predecessor, was one of the best on the market so from my point of view, I went into this thinking this would be the best winter tyre in 2015.

2015-11-03%2009.58.00.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4d2rxeo9meklkn/2015-11-03%2009.58.00.jpg?dl=0

Now obviously it is not snowing yet, nor is it really cold out, so the first impressions below are based on an outside temperature of 7-10 Celsius (I expect them to get way better as the temperatures drop).

Pulling away

My steering felt really light. I was actually surprised by how light it felt - like I had no contact with the road whatsoever. But a quick search online has revealed that this is normal for winter tyres until they are run in. However, I put 100 miles on them today already and the steering is just as light as when I got them fitted. The only way I can describe it is it feels like the tyres aren't fitted at all. This isn't a downside, it's just an observation, and strangely they do offer plenty of feedback. You know where they are, but the steering input is smoooooooooth.

Picking up speed

The steering weights up as you pick up speed. And this is when the tyres really start to show their personality. I had Dunlop Sport Maxx all round before, and these tyres find grip in places that those Dunlop's couldn't. Pulling away with a heavy right foot results in no wheel spin on a damp cold road and that's a revelation for me - the car actually pulls in first gear now! Having said that, the car does feel noticeably slower in a straight line than it did with the sporty Dunlop's on. I've put this down to the tyres not bedding in yet, or I hope that's the case, anyway.

Handling

I haven't been near a country road with these tyres yet, but the early signs are very promising. I went into numerous roundabouts a little quicker than I would on my old tyres and these tucked in really well. I was surprised to be honest, because I expected the car to feel more 'floaty' than on summer tyres, but it really doesn't. Quick changes of direction are handled very well and on the motorway at 75mph changing lanes simply inspires confidence. Let's get real though - these are no Michelin PSS or Cups, but they are definitely very grippy in cold, damp conditions.

Ride quality and tyre noise

This is the biggest plus for me! The ride quality on these tyres is absolutely amazing - Sport mode now feels like Comfort mode, and Cupra mode now feels like Sport mode. Comfort mode feels like a barge, so I'll be sticking to Sport! Tyre noise is also far less than my Dunlop’s, and I have no reason to disbelieve that these tyres are putting out 69db. The most amazing thing for me was when I accidentally hit a pothole with the DCC on Sport, and the tyre just soaked it up. Amazing!

Final thoughts

The tyres look really cool - I do have pictures and I'll be sharing them as soon as I'm able to. I'll also update this post when I'm 200 miles in, because I have no doubt their characteristics will change. I'll leave with one final thought, then - I can't wait until it snows. These tyres were developed in very harsh climates so they'll perform admirably in the British weather I would say.

Last edited:

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
I have 4 of these tyre on. The grip was very poor at first but having done a few hundred miles they have greatly improved. Also this morning it was cold ish at 4.5 c and the road was damp. Not even a flicker of TCS. I think these tyres are going to be awesome this winter. They are relatively cheap too at £159 a corner fitted at blackcirlces

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
I have 4 of these tyre on. The grip was very poor at first but having done a few hundred miles they have greatly improved. Also this morning it was cold ish at 4.5 c and the road was damp. Not even a flicker of TCS. I think these tyres are going to be awesome this winter. They are relatively cheap too at £159 a corner fitted at blackcirlces

Yep, think I paid around £630 all in fitted from Black Circles :D glad to hear about the grip, haven't tested it much as of yet, hopefully it'll get even better.

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
Conditions on the way home tonight were as follows.

Heavy rain with surface water and a temperature of 3.5c. Ideal (other than snow) to test out the Nokians.

I was very impressed. In fully auto mode in comfort mode traction could not be broken. Traction was broken at around 5k revs in manual mode but in a controlled fashion. Decent acceleration was maintained.

Next I did an emergency stop from 30 mph. This was extremely impressive. The car came to a controlled stop very very quickly.

The Nokians are excellent. Now I hope I have some snow to test them out on at the weekend.

neil_f225

Mar 14, 2005
I've just fitted 18" Toyo Snowprox winter tyres and the grip is outstanding in the current wet conditions compared to the Michelin Pilot Supersport that I've been using. I've ran Hankook and Avon winter tyres previously and the Toyo easily beats them. Role on the snow to see how they perform!

Last edited:

dty73

Oct 28, 2015
JACUPRA280, am I right in saying the D4 is only available in W speed rating, while the stock tyres are Y?

How are you finding them now you've had them a bit?

I'm expecting delivery of a 290 in mid-January and I'm a bit loathed to stick winter tyres straight on it - we'll have to see what the weather is like when it arrives.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
JACUPRA280, am I right in saying the D4 is only available in W speed rating, while the stock tyres are Y?

How are you finding them now you've had them a bit?

I'm expecting delivery of a 290 in mid-January and I'm a bit loathed to stick winter tyres straight on it - we'll have to see what the weather is like when it arrives.

Hi mate,

Yes, a maximum rating of W. That's 168mph by the way! Faster than a stock Cupra can go.

I'm finding them consistently excellent. The wet grip is brilliant and for that alone I'm glad I bought them. They are also a very good tyre in the dry - the side wall is reinforced and the car tucks into corners nicely. I tested the tyres on cold, snow/slush roads at 5 in the morning for a few hours the other day and it didn't miss a beat. It was glued to the road and the TC light never, ever came on, unless I wanted it to! I could make the car slide, drift etc. with sharp, fast steering wheel movements and the handbrake however it was completely controllable and predictable. And that is the great thing about these tyres - they offer consistent, predictable performance!

They are also a nice, soft tyre and they absorb potholes and uneven surfaces very well. Road noise is less than my Dunlop Sport Maxx RT summer tyres.

I wholeheartedly recommend them mate. They are a match made in heaven for the Cupra.

Last edited:

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
UPDATE!

Had some snow over here recently (Holme Moss/ Derbyshire) and the WR D4 tyres have been sensational. They have incredible grip on slippery sludge and snow and ice on sharp inclines. Pulling away from a dead stop is easy peasy.

I'll be getting them taken off mid-March for Spring time. Will probably go for some Michelin's.

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
UPDATE!

Had some snow over here recently (Holme Moss/ Derbyshire) and the WR D4 tyres have been sensational. They have incredible grip on slippery sludge and snow and ice on sharp inclines. Pulling away from a dead stop is easy peasy.

I'll be getting them taken off mid-March for Spring time. Will probably go for some Michelin's.

7-10 days ago we had a few inches and the tyres were amazing. Standing starts were possible on really steep hills.

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
fitted the previous one (D3) for last winter, and put them back on again beginning of the month.
Can't find a bad thing to say. Quiet, smooth ride, no detrimental effect on economy, handle well in the dry...if the D4s are an improvement how could you go wrong?

honziss

Aug 3, 2015
Prague / CZ
Hi mate,

Yes, a maximum rating of W. That's 168mph by the way! Faster than a stock Cupra can go.

I'm finding them consistently excellent. The wet grip is brilliant and for that alone I'm glad I bought them. They are also a very good tyre in the dry - the side wall is reinforced and the car tucks into corners nicely. I tested the tyres on cold, snow/slush roads at 5 in the morning for a few hours the other day and it didn't miss a beat. It was glued to the road and the TC light never, ever came on, unless I wanted it to! I could make the car slide, drift etc. with sharp, fast steering wheel movements and the handbrake however it was completely controllable and predictable. And that is the great thing about these tyres - they offer consistent, predictable performance!

They are also a nice, soft tyre and they absorb potholes and uneven surfaces very well. Road noise is less than my Dunlop Sport Maxx RT summer tyres.

I wholeheartedly recommend them mate. They are a match made in heaven for the Cupra.
+1, the same experience..

Ocularis

Jan 2, 2015
Northampton
I managed to melt my winters in about 6k miles i think, so have decided with the mild winters we have here to opt for something like the CrossClimate Michelin ones and see how they do and swap the cup2's (Which need replacing now anyway) with PSS or Contisport 6's I think. The 18" CrossClimates are due out in June this year (spoke to Michelin about it) so will try them from next year... atm im tip toeing around on some low tread goodyears.

Maybe i just drive too hard for full winters (but they were only much earlier than I hoped due to a nail in my Cup2's )

Last edited:

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
I managed to melt my winters in about 6k miles i think, so have decided with the mild winters we have here to opt for something like the CrossClimate Michelin ones and see how they do and swap the cup2's (Which need replacing now anyway) with PSS or Contisport 6's I think. The 18" CrossClimates are due out in June this year (spoke to Michelin about it) so will try them from next year... atm im tip toeing around on some low tread goodyears.

Maybe i just drive too hard for full winters (but they were only much earlier than I hoped due to a nail in my Cup2's )

I try not to drive when the temperatures above 12°C as yes, you will burn through winters quite fast with them being a very soft compound at higher temperatures.

Haven't checked for wear yet but they've done under 1.5k so should be OK for next winter. Will get some Michelin's in March.

twitchynik

Sep 12, 2006

Really? I have 18" WR-D4's and have not been light on the right foot. Recently did over 1,000 miles on a number of long journeys in about a week - motorways, A's, rough B's, plenty of twisty and roundabout sections. Basically a good thrashing on a wide variety of surfaces.

My commute has regular sections of impressive progress and I have the traction light during acceleration and overtaking, even in 4th and sometimes 5th. I didn't drive the car in the recent relative cold snap so the tyres have mostly seen temperatures above the typical winter/summer boundary of 7c.

I would say I've done over 2,000 on the D4's and with the wear markers in the center tread pattern I'm not even down to 7mm on the fronts (8mm still just showing, plenty to go on 6mm). By my reckoning I should be getting 8-10k and that is without swapping rears and fronts which should add a few more miles.

This would go well with a plan of Apr-Oct for summers and Oct-Apr for winters and spreading the wear around. I should have enough tyre to last me the length of car ownership without having to buy a 3rd set just before changing time.

Will see what happens with the CrossClimates as they sound like a good compromise.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members