Brake issue

brian33

Feb 3, 2014
Hey guys,

Twice over the last few months I've been leaving the house, driving to the end of the road and going to stop at the junction only to find that I can't stop. The brake pedal just wouldn't move. Luckily, both times, there was no traffic coming on the road I was pulling onto, so it didn't cause any accidents. I've driven very carefully off the more major road onto the next residential road both times and attempted to replicate the problem with no luck. Has anyone had any experiences like this? I feel that, due to the infrequency of the problem, and the fact that I can't "make it happen", there wouldn't be much point taking it to get looked at because I can't imagine they'll be able to see anything wrong. It's a 2014 Leon SE, 1.6TDi, Automatic.

Thanks in advance!

2Stevo2

Oct 20, 2015
North Lanarkshire, Scotland
When u say the pedal wouldnt move....do u mean that u r unable to depress it at all?

The reason i ask, my previous car had the master cylinder replaced when the brake pedal went to the floor a few times without any braking. Scary stuff!

brian33

Feb 3, 2014
Hi Stevo,

Yup, I mean I wasn't able to depress it at all...no movement whatsoever. Bit scary.

slamka33

Dec 6, 2014
Just to keep in mind in such stress situation - as first help - use handbrake. Better than nothing!

I am happy this never happened to me up today (driven 26.000 km in 16 months)..

Bubbs

Jul 18, 2013
That sounds almost like a dodgy servo - if modern cars have such things. I.e. Lack of power braking assistance - think along the lines of how 'solid' the brake pedal will go when the engine is off, you've got to put a lot of force on it to get any stopping power out of the brakes.

Engine running though, and you'd find that the pedal is easy to depress, cos the servo is working.

It's much the same with power steering. Easy with engine on, hard with engine off.

If the engine's on, and the pedal is solid, or VERY hard to depress then it's evident that the servo / pump system is not running, or at least not working correctly.

brian33

Feb 3, 2014
Thanks for the input guys. I get what you're saying Bubbs...either way I guess I really need to have it looked at.

Briant566

Oct 12, 2014
West Yorks England
never heard of this before, but maybe a tech at the dealer might have.
if it's happened twice I'd get it looked at...its warranty anyway.

Glad I have seen this post I had exactly the same problem with my Golf it would only do it once in 6 month the issue is the servo has no vacuum in .
If its the same as mine it just does it when starting from rest and moving off slowly it the servo that has lost vacuum and cant replace it
Take it back to Dealers

Last edited:

brian33

Feb 3, 2014
Hey guys,

Just wanted to give an update here in case anyone else runs into the same issue. Took it to a Seat garage and they eventually found out that it was an issue with a vacuum supply pipe. When they investigated, they said it's a "known issue", but not considered serious. They replaced it and all is good again thankfully!

Thanks for your replies,
Brian

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.