Cooling fan doesnt turn off

pritpal17

Jan 17, 2015
Have a mk1 cupra but the cooling fan doesnt turn off. As soon as you turn the ignition on the fan turns on and when you turn the engine off it stays on all the time. Have to take the fuse out for the fan to go off.
Anyone else had this problem.

L16YDW

Big Beefy Boy
Dec 1, 2014
Norfolk
I've seen and fixed this fault many times over the years on all variants of the mk4 golf platform (TT, beetle etc). Check the cables that run off the top of the battery and down behind it. You'll need to remove the battery to do this. There is usually a broken wire near the bottom of the battery tray.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
There is a thermostatic switch screwed into the radiator that controls when the fans switch on and off. That would be my prime suspect,along with the wiring that runs to it, i guess thats probably the same wiring that "L16YDW" is saying about. The sensor is item #15 in the diagram below

fan%20switch_zpsqt9a4tce.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

pritpal17

Jan 17, 2015
Fans are still coming on when you turned the ignition on. I've changed the temp sensor, radiator temp sensor, both fans and even the fan control module under the battery box and the fans are still on all the time. Anyone know anything else that could be the problem. thanks

pritpal17

Jan 17, 2015
Think I've found the problem. Did a continuity test on the connector that plugs into the fan control module and 2 wires were corroded inside the plug, will find out when new connector comes.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.