Nokian WR D4 review and first impressions

Ocularis

Jan 2, 2015
Northampton
Yeah, mine are Goodyears in fairness but they just spin and slide so much, not been happy with them at all.

The rears are down to 3mm and im on 5mm at the front - getting the back end out in the wet is now quite fun ;) thats with 2 swaps too.

I hope the crossclimates last longer in the slightly warmer weather around november - march next year. Cant wait to get back on summer tires tbh...!

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Update

UPDATE

I have just had the Nokian WR D4 taken off for the summer. They have been replaced with new Goodyear Asymmetric 2, which feel superb so far.

This update is surrounding wear rates. I will post pictures later on comparing the rears to the fronts. I expected the fronts to be more worn than the rears with the Cupra being a FWD car with lots of power and torque, however I didn't expect them to have worn so much. My rough measurements show that they have worn 50% on the front and 10% on the rear. I've clocked 3,000 miles on them.

I have been driving with them on since late October and we had warmish weather then up until around January. I reckon I'll get one more winter out of the 2 front tyres and nothing more; the cost of two tyres was around £320 fitted so I've paid £110 per winter for the front tyres. The front tyres will go on the rear next winter to even the tread wear, so maybe I can get three winters out of them, in which case I've paid £55 per winter per two tyres.

Regardless of wear rate and cost, however, I strongly recommend this tyre if you are looking for winter tyres. They pull you up icy, slushy and snowy roads that would be impassable with normal tyres and they drive like summer tyres otherwise.

My best experience with them so far has been up Woodhead Pass in Derbyshire. A Range Rover Sport with summer tyres couldn't get up a particularly slippery part of this road. I overtook him and drove on like it was nothing. The look on his face was hilarious (I did offer to give him a lift to his house, but he said he would struggle on).

Overall, top tyres. Can't wait for the snow next year!

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members