Not starting - oil light flashing

andycupra

status subject to change
ok,well thats not good.
i wonder if it wont start if there is an oil pressure fault.

sorry that didnt help.

a few times ive got people going after they moved their leons a very short distance - it gets overly fuelled if started cold and stopped very quickly. in this case it looks a little more serious :(

good luck

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
A lack of oil pressure won't stop the car from starting. Lots of people have started and run thier cars with a blocked pick up until the engine has seized! The oil pressure warning light/beeper will come on if the engine is being turned over for a few seconds without starting.

If the engine is turning over fine, but still wont start, then you either have a lack of fuel or a lack of ignition!

Seeing as there are 4 coil packs and no fault codes showing for a crank sensor etc, then you can pretty safely rule out the ignition.

That leaves you with 2 options fuel pump relay, or the pump itself.

Last edited:

daverave

Nov 14, 2008
Tried starting it again this morning. At first it sounded like it was going to start but then cut out.

I've ordered a fuel pump relay, and will let you know how I get on [B)]

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
Ignore the oil pressure light - it comes on after a period of cranking but non-starting - this is normal

Have you checked the basics? Is it getting fuel and is there a spark? Have you checked the condition of the plugs?

daverave

Nov 14, 2008
Have changed the fuel pump relay and still no luck!

I'm fairly sure I can smell some fuel.

p.s. have ordered new spark plugs - They haven't been changed in a while. Would a faulty spark plug throw up a fault code?

Last edited:

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Why don't you unplug the fuel filter and start the car see if fuel comes out that's what I'd do if I was on my own with no help, then you can rule out fuel pump. It's a stupid idea I know but that's me lol

Once a month I take my spark plugs out and clean them, wire brush and a good clean then make sure guage it still correct. I'm bad with OCD allways at me car, my FB page is full of stuff lol

Last edited:

daverave

Nov 14, 2008
Update. Spark plugs have arrived together with a spark plug socket wrench. Tried to remove spark plug number one but can't get the thing out. In fact the removable socket has stuck to the spark plug and can't budge it. :cry:

Called RAC. No fuel getting to the ignition but there is 11 volts reading accross the fuel pump. Have towed it to my garage to sort it.

Last edited:

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
We did say fuel pump at the start, and like someone else said you can her the pump prime itself when you open the drivers door, in the morning after the cars sat for a while listen for it when you open the door

daverave

Nov 14, 2008
We did say fuel pump at the start, and like someone else said you can her the pump prime itself when you open the drivers door, in the morning after the cars sat for a while listen for it when you open the door

I know :D Was working my way up to the fuel pump (i.e. fuse, relay...) but wasn't going to attempt to replace it myself!

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Lol under rear seats take you 5/10min I'd never pay anyone to do work on my car unles I really need to but I have a good friend I trust and no one else

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.