Adding iPod/USB and Bluetooth to Ibiza Headunit

Janssen

I bought a J650-MDI (6J0 035 342C) and I'm trying to get it to work in my Seat Ibiza 6J. Unfortunatly some #$*#$ cut off the cable at a length of 10cm.

So I called the dealer today and he tolled me that he couldn't order a new cable because this cable should be connected to the boardcomputer... ? I was under the impression the device should be connected directly to the radio.

I hope someone here can give me clarification... How to connect the J650 (where does the cable go) and does anyone have the partnumber of the needed cable?

Cheers!

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
The cable form the MDI unit plugs into the blue 12-pin socket on the rear of the headunit.

The other end of the cable will be soldered onto the main-board of the electronics inside the MDI unit, hence why the dealer can't provide you with a new one.

What you could do is re-cut the existing cable halfway along it, get some new wiring from your local electronics store (12 pieces, however long you want the cable to be) and recreate the longer cable.

This does depend on the cables inside the exisitng cable being colour coded so you can match up the right ends...
I would guess they would be if the existing cable has been shortened.

Unless you've bought a stolen unit that's just been ripped out and doesn't have the connector piece on the end?
In which case you're probably screwed

Janssen

I bought this part from a decent VAG-dismantling firm in the Netherlands. Therefor I do not think its stolen..

The part is complete with the connector to the main wire-tree of the car. With the Seat-dealer in Enschede (Netherlands) we tried to figure out how the module is connected to the car, but he couldn't give me a straight answer.

Nightflight, thanks for confirming that it should be connected to the headunit. Do you know if the order of wires is the same at both ends of the cable? Or does anyone, who does have this unit factory-installed, the possibilitiy to make a picture of the connector at the headunit?

If I got this all to work a how-to manual with pictures will be posted :)

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
As i understand it the cable which connects into the headunit should be a 12 pin connector, and it should be the same across the range as they should all conform to VW J650 which is VW's specification for USB connectivity.

Have a look Here The blue bit is where the MDI plugs into

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
VW part Number 000.051.447
This is the extension cable that goes from the MDI interface to the iPod cable, thought i'd post it up in case it'd be useful for you, if your MDI->headunit is short, then you could mount the MDI somewhere in reach of the existing cable and use the above cable to put your connector for the iPod cable where you wanted it.

Last edited:

hstjern

Dec 19, 2006
Stockholm (currently)
I bought this part from a decent VAG-dismantling firm in the Netherlands. Therefor I do not think its stolen..

The part is complete with the connector to the main wire-tree of the car. With the Seat-dealer in Enschede (Netherlands) we tried to figure out how the module is connected to the car, but he couldn't give me a straight answer.

Nightflight, thanks for confirming that it should be connected to the headunit. Do you know if the order of wires is the same at both ends of the cable? Or does anyone, who does have this unit factory-installed, the possibilitiy to make a picture of the connector at the headunit?

If I got this all to work a how-to manual with pictures will be posted :)

Janssen, did you get this working at the end ??

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
Digging deeper it seem's you're right, plus you'd need to rename your folders to mimic a cd changer, too much faffing for my liking.

HumbleByDK

Apr 22, 2012
The info you've found so far only covers the MDI (USB/AUX) integration to the car.
This interface has nothing to do with the bluetooth functionality of the car. That is a completely separate system, which requires quite a bit more work to install.

I've just installed a complete factory fit bluetooth installation to my wife's Ibiza 6J model year 2009 today and am glad to report that it works perfectly!
I found all the necessary parts at a car scraps dealership for merely 180 pounds or thereabouts.

Installment took about 5 hours and includes quite a bit of soldering work as well as disassembling of the internal bits of the car. Luckily, I have VAG-COM as well as access to all wiring diagrams, so that helps alot. Furthermore, I've installed bluetooth to my Altea and to my parent's Altea so I've tried it before.

Here are the parts i bought:

- Bluetooth interface
- Left-hand control stalk with phone-capabilities (car wasn't fitted with anything from new)
- Interior light supporting a microphone
- Bottom half of the steering column cover
- Panel in front of the gear-lever as I wanted to install AUX-in as well (has nothing to do with the bluetooth installation)
- Wiring loom for the bluetooth interface
- Microphone

I think that's about it.
Voices are very clear in the speakers of the car and the people on the receiving end hear my voice clearly as well. This can be adjusted via VAG-COM.

Regards from DK :D

Last edited:

White6J

Seems like Dension Gateway 300 i working with our crappy haedunit :)

just google dension gateway 300 Ibiza 6J and take the youtube video! Sry for nor posting a link, but i think i'm not allowed jet.

Would be great i it worked for me :)

Regards
The German

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
The info you've found so far only covers the MDI (USB/AUX) integration to the car.
This interface has nothing to do with the bluetooth functionality of the car. That is a completely separate system, which requires quite a bit more work to install.

I've just installed a complete factory fit bluetooth installation to my wife's Ibiza 6J model year 2009 today and am glad to report that it works perfectly!
I found all the necessary parts at a car scraps dealership for merely 180 pounds or thereabouts.

Installment took about 5 hours and includes quite a bit of soldering work as well as disassembling of the internal bits of the car. Luckily, I have VAG-COM as well as access to all wiring diagrams, so that helps alot. Furthermore, I've installed bluetooth to my Altea and to my parent's Altea so I've tried it before.

- Bluetooth interface
- Left-hand control stalk with phone-capabilities (car wasn't fitted with anything from new)
- Panel in front of the gear-lever as I wanted to install AUX-in as well (has nothing to do with the bluetooth installation)
- Microphone

I think that's about it.
Voices are very clear in the speakers of the car and the people on the receiving end hear my voice clearly as well. This can be adjusted via VAG-COM.

Thanks for that very informative post.

Where does the bluetooth interface live though? Is that part of the stalk or the radio? I am considering a retrofit on mine

rasch

Aug 8, 2012

- Bluetooth interface
- Microphone

I think that's about it.

Hi there,
which part number is the bluetooth interface?
I want to fit my car with bluetooth and don't want those ugly parrot things.
Can you please guide me?

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
How much is the interface - the latest one has better features, like voice dialling without having to save the names in the system beforehand.

If it didn't cost a fortune I'd considering upgrading!

overdoze

Jan 26, 2016
Just a note that this will fit if anyone still wants a plug and play OEM solution.

If I buy an MDI box from a breaker, can I simply plug it in to the back of the head unit (Blue 12-pin)?

Does it need enabling via VAG COM?

Is any other wiring required?

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
Yep, plug it in, needs enabling with VagCom (something I've still(!) not got around to doing (can't justify the dealership wanting £80 for it) but even without, the 3.5mm aux and usb power still work so I can charge my phone and listen to it at the moment!

overdoze

Jan 26, 2016
Yep, plug it in, needs enabling with VagCom (something I've still(!) not got around to doing (can't justify the dealership wanting £80 for it) but even without, the 3.5mm aux and usb power still work so I can charge my phone and listen to it at the moment!

Nice one, after two years of owning the car I'm looking forward to being able to use the stalk controls to change tracks.

Is the cable already part of the existing harness, or does it have to be purchased separately?

I will see how much my local garage charges for activation via VCDS as I don't have a copy myself. £80 is very steep considering I can get the MDI unit for £50.

Cheers

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.