Will it fit? Had an accident

ZRZ

Dec 30, 2014
Hertfordshire
Hey all,

Had an accident this morning and it's safe to say my front end is mullered.

Now a few questions are... Will the following parts fit on my Cupra even if it comes off a non Cupra doner?

Bonnet and Latch
Headlights
Front slam panel, radiator and fans.

Also, after the accident the car won't start but it ticks over, just won't fire. What could have been affected by the accident to cause this?

Thanks

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
I think there is usually a fuel cut-off switch that will trip in hard accidents. Not entirely sure though, i'll look it up....

Edit: this is what elsawin says:

"Fuel supply system components: removal and installation
Crash fuel shut-off
Function

Vehicles with airbags are fitted with a crash fuel shut-off system. It reduces the danger of a fire in a crash as the fuel pump is switched off via the fuel pump relay.
Simultaneously this system provides an improved start for the engine.
When the door is opened the fuel pump is activated for 2 seconds to build-up the pressure in fuel system."

I guess you could try disconnecting the battery for 15 mins or so and seeing if that resets the above system... Or if the airbags need replacing and resetting it could be linked to that i guess? Not really sure mate but hope that gives you some ideas. Other than that then maybe something was damaged in the accident, try scanning for fault codes and see if that shows up anything

Last edited:

ZRZ

Dec 30, 2014
Hertfordshire
is urs the r or just cupra mate? i know a guy who is stripping a cupra down.

It's just a Cupra mate. What colour is his?

I think there is usually a fuel cut-off switch that will trip in hard accidents. Not entirely sure though, i'll look it up....

Edit: this is what elsawin says:

"Fuel supply system components: removal and installation
Crash fuel shut-off
Function

Vehicles with airbags are fitted with a crash fuel shut-off system. It reduces the danger of a fire in a crash as the fuel pump is switched off via the fuel pump relay.
Simultaneously this system provides an improved start for the engine.
When the door is opened the fuel pump is activated for 2 seconds to build-up the pressure in fuel system."

That sounds good, thank you. I will try that tomorrow when I go to the car, sounds very probable!

I guess you could try disconnecting the battery for 15 mins or so and seeing if that resets the above system...

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Hey all,

Had an accident this morning and it's safe to say my front end is mullered.

Now a few questions are... Will the following parts fit on my Cupra even if it comes off a non Cupra doner?

Bonnet and Latch
Headlights
Front slam panel, radiator and fans.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure all the body parts are interchangeable, not sure about the rads though. Best thing to do is look up the part numbers for both parts and see if they are the same. http://www.vagcat.com/epc/

ZRZ

Dec 30, 2014
Hertfordshire
Thanks for the help mate, like you said I had a suspicion that the body panels would fit but wasn't sure about the slam panel and radiators etc.. Also, my reply didn't work properly but thank you for the information about the fuel cut off

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Thanks for the help mate, like you said I had a suspicion that the body panels would fit but wasn't sure about the slam panel and radiators etc.. Also, my reply didn't work properly but thank you for the information about the fuel cut off

No worries mate, hope it sorts it out for you. Car will probably idle a bit rough after having the battery disconnected, it will sort itself out once the engine re-learns the fuel trims after driving for a few miles

Last edited:

ZRZ

Dec 30, 2014
Hertfordshire
Still won't stay after disconnecting the battery... Airbags did not deploy so surely that wouldn't trigger a fuel cut off?

ferriss1

Feb 8, 2016
leicestershire
sorry for late reply. spoke to bloke i know and asked if it was ok to give you his number ect and he said that a guy had bin and collected just about everything you wanted this morning. sorry mate. theres plenty of them about tho, you will find something soon. it was black but he would of had everything you wanted even if you didnt want the body panels.

ZRZ

Dec 30, 2014
Hertfordshire
sorry for late reply. spoke to bloke i know and asked if it was ok to give you his number ect and he said that a guy had bin and collected just about everything you wanted this morning. sorry mate. theres plenty of them about tho, you will find something soon. it was black but he would of had everything you wanted even if you didnt want the body panels.

That's okay mate, managed to source the following:

Genuine Cupra front bumper with all grills sprayed gloss black (It's yellow but getting sprayed red)
Genuine bonnet off the same Cupra (again yellow but will get sprayed red)
Front slam panel in damaged entirely
Bonnet lock/latch
Both front headlight with internal 'mirrored' finish painted black

All the above for £110! What a steal!

Now the only issue I have got now is the car not starting. The car has run completely fine since owning and even after the crash (I didn't switch off the engine) I drove it a mile or so to work without any running issues whatsoever but after leaving the car for 9 hours and finishing work it wouldn't start. After the above idea of disconnecting the battery in an attempt to reset any fuel cut off which may have occurred during the accident I still have no start! There are no leaks and everything looks as it should from the radiators backwards, even the radiator is still intact.

Does anybody know what could be the issue? The car ticks over but just won't fire
Thanks

samey44

Feb 24, 2016
Best thing to do next really is to get someone with VCDS too plug into your car with the ignition on and check for fault codes, it could be a immoboliser problem or something silly like that, but it at least might help you.

ZRZ

Dec 30, 2014
Hertfordshire
Best thing to do next really is to get someone with VCDS too plug into your car with the ignition on and check for fault codes, it could be a immoboliser problem or something silly like that, but it at least might help you.

Thanks for the info mate, but I got the RAC to come have a look and he said the fuel pump has gone because when giving the tank a whack it started! So I've ordered a new pump.

UPDATE:
New headlights are now on the car
New slam panel is now on the car
Bumper and bonnet are in the bodyshop getting sprayed tomorrow!
Fuel pump should be here Friday too

ZRZ

Dec 30, 2014
Hertfordshire
I now have a new question guys!!

Does anyone strangely happen to know the size of the bolts that hold the bonnet?

Brought the car with raisers on but I want to take them off when the new bonnet is done but i don't have the smaller bolts!

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise