A few issues with new MK3

emu88

Feb 8, 2016
Hello. I have picked up an old W reg MK3 from a family member with only 56k on the clock. There are a few issues I would appreciate some advice on - thanks a lot in advance!

1. The clutch pedal sticks a bit. When depressed and then let go, it comes up very slowly for the first inch or two before coming back normally. It's driveable once you get used to it but it's certainly not normal. What could this be?

2. Radio works fine with ignition off. With ignition on, it works most of the time but will turn itself off a couple of times within about 10 minutes. With engine running, it turns off completely and will only turn on when pressed for a split second before switching off again. I pulled out the radio and all wires are firm.

3. The passenger window button on the drivers side doesn't work.

4. The central locking doesn't work (tried new battery in fob - light blinks but no response from car.) Have to lock manually but even then key turns with difficulty and the front passenger door doesn't lock at all.

If anyone can help with any of these I'd be very grateful! Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

taffyR

May 15, 2006
TREALAW/ RHONDDA S.WALES
Clutch pedal probably small pedal cyllinder. Or, check pedal mounting mechanism frame for broken welds...Common problem.
Take it system been bled properly??
Windows nearly always switch itself...try swapping drivers side switches. theyre the same make-up.
Motor card water ingestion or jamming cable.
If headlights dip when operating system cable jamming or motor card
But, ive had my mk3 cupra R for 15 years and ive lost track of how many window switches ive changed...again, usually, water gets in. you can repair switches by taking apart and cleaning contacts but take care when opening, ensure springs and contacts go back the same way...
Best of luck.
Central locking usually door mechanisms... Give every lock and handle a good dowsing with duck oil.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.