Brakes!

Ralex5

Feb 4, 2014
Solihull, near Birmingham
After 60k my boc needs new discs and pads on the front. Stealer's quoted me 260 which i thought was a little steep. Can i get better parts for less money? Mate will fit them for 30 quid. Have seen some on awese gti but am unsure on the size. Also seen differing opinion on REDstuff so am unsure. If i could get some links? Will only have the car another max 2 years and dont do track days or anything. Is it advisable to change fluid too? If so what do i need to purchase? Thankyou!

BF95

Oct 15, 2013
Coventry
If your not doing track then greenstuff pads are better for day to day running, you can go to your local tps and get the genuine discs for 20% cheaper than the stealers, or find a ebt special pads and discs kinda thing

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

skyrocketeer

Asphalt pilot
Feb 1, 2016
Newport S.Wales
Don't get redstuff - as BF95 has said, track and 'race' pads take a while to warm up to full effectiveness, and generally aren't any good during 'normal' driving. Use greenstuff if you're finding you're suffering from brake-fade, but typically you'll be fine with OE spec unless you drive like a nutter.

I've always been happy with Pagid pads and discs (they're an OE supplier), probably cost half what the dealers charge from somewhere like ECP.

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
any of you had red stuffs?

there fine in a boc/cupra. greenstufs are pure shite.

personnaly i run leon cupra R brembos with Ferrodo DS2500s, Brembro discs and ATE200 fluid.
and leon cupra R 256mm Rears with the same setup.

skyrocketeer

Asphalt pilot
Feb 1, 2016
Newport S.Wales
No as I said, I don't use red-stuff, as my driving style doesn't warrant that sort of tradeoff - I need brakes to be pin sharp at any temperature any time, and not need warming up.

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
No as I said, I don't use red-stuff, as my driving style doesn't warrant that sort of tradeoff - I need brakes to be pin sharp at any temperature any time, and not need warming up.

in that case any stock pads will do.

get some pagids and ull be fine.

i like to know my breaks work if i stomp on em 100 times from 150mph not just once.

skyrocketeer

Asphalt pilot
Feb 1, 2016
Newport S.Wales
As the OP doesn't do track days, I can't see repeated stops from 150mph will be a feature of his driving. Perhaps we should be asking what is wrong with the current setup, before making recommendations..?

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
As the OP doesn't do track days, I can't see repeated stops from 150mph will be a feature of his driving. Perhaps we should be asking what is wrong with the current setup, before making recommendations..?

order of importance.
caliper/pad/disck/fluid/lines.

check the caliper if its not sticking move on,
check the pads, not worn or glazed move on,
check disck brembo recon 1mm per side before discs are junk, move on
fluid change yearly with decent fluid, move on
check for leaks/air bubles, sorted.

for daily use:
pagid discs and pads will be fine.
along with some decent fluid bleed through properly.

fast road:
at least up rated pads and fluid,
personally id recomend ds2500s(i had red stuffs and the 2500s dont need warming and stop no mater what)
fluid, some decent fluid, castrols react/ate super200 etc

Track days,
new calipers: stock 288s are pathetic even with best pads/discs etc minimum upgrade is 312mm off an anniversary mk4 golf.
then some decent discs and pads and fresh fluid.

Race,
R32 2piston 343mm
Brembos LCR 323mm 4 piston
porsche brembo 330mm 4piston.

ds2500/ds3000 pads/ mintex 1155.
good quality discs, with high carbon content
fresh fluid.
braided lines.

BUT all this is pointless without decent rubber on the car, you could have a race setup and budget tyres and ull still be out braked by someone with decent rubber.

for the OP;

your on cupra net so im going on a limb u have a cupra tsi with the 288mm single pot brakes not the Race brake option(factory optional "race brakes"). your not doing track days and you want decent stopping power no mater what.

in which case:
discs- some OE eicher discs
pads- EBC blackstuff- OEM spec
and fluid- Pagid Dot4, ull need 500ml to change fluid in all 4 brakes.

7f7a412378.png

OR if you like spending more for the same shite

c293f31709.png

but thats just my opinion.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Only one issue there, Eicher is a "Germanic" brand name that ECP have applied to some basic stuff to give them clout in the market, probably better just sticking with Pagid offerings from ECP, note, while Pagid are OEM suppliers to VAG, I don't think that they supply anything other than brake pads, though I'd trust their rebranding/offerings of other parts, discs anyway seem to be okay from my experience and a very good price for that quality.

skyrocketeer

Asphalt pilot
Feb 1, 2016
Newport S.Wales
I wouldn't worry about Eicher I reckon they come from the same factory as Pagid as they're all part of the TMD group.

Most recently I've been using Brembo discs with Pagid pads. They stop nearly 2 tonnes of Audi without complaint, though I've not tried from 150mph.

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
I wouldn't worry about Eicher I reckon they come from the same factory as Pagid as they're all part of the TMD group.

Most recently I've been using Brembo discs with Pagid pads. They stop nearly 2 tonnes of Audi without complaint, though I've not tried from 150mph.

had em on mine for all of 2 weeks before i said sod it and went full leon cupra R setup.

for daily use the eicher discs will be fine.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland

Well I've just checked, and as far as I can tell TMD do not list Eicher as one of their companies, though I don't mind being proved wrong as every day can be a school day - if you let it!

Edit:- I would not mind trying out Brembo discs in the future on my S4.

Last edited:

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
Well I've just checked, and as far as I can tell TMD do not list Eicher as one of their companies, though I don't mind being proved wrong as every day can be a school day - if you let it!

Edit:- I would not mind trying out Brembo discs in the future on my S4.

discs make the smallest diffrence imo,

decent pads are the way forward and decent fluid!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members