Loss of power, limited revs

Auvache

Feb 16, 2016
Hi guys,

I have a SEAT Ibiza FR 2011, 2.0 diesel. I am having issues with my EPC/glow plug light.

The light flashes and my car has a loss of power/restricted revs of around 2k. I can pull-over, restart the engine and the light disappears and power is restored. This has happened three times now and I am curious to know if my car actually has a fault.

It happened once, then I restarted the engine and it went away for over 2 weeks. Then today it happened twice within 5 minutes... runs fine after I restart my engine though.

I drive at least 60 miles a day on the motorway, half of the time spent in traffic. I have done around 33k miles.

Please help!

Thanks,
Brad

Last edited:

propane94

Bearded Ginger
Nov 15, 2012
Portsmouth
Based on the age of the car and the driving you said you do, I would get the battery checked and check the alternator first. The intermittent fault could be caused by a sudden power drop from a weak battery.

Does it happen in a particular scenario, similar weather or stop start traffic perhaps, or just random??

Auvache

Feb 16, 2016
It seems to be pretty random. It can happen in traffic or driving at 70mph.

propane94

Bearded Ginger
Nov 15, 2012
Portsmouth
I agree with Big Col on the scan, but get the battery checked first, most places will happily do it for free.

Also the fact that a restart can cure it sounds rather odd and it may not be picked up with a scan (I may be wrong). If the battery proves to be okay, get it scanned and see what comes up.

Auvache

Feb 16, 2016
Ok so the diagnostics said it was an 'EGR valve fault', any idea what this could be?

My friend said these need to be cleaned regularly, do you guys think this could be the problem?

Auvache

Feb 16, 2016
Yeah I've just had my emissions fault light come on as well. Local garage has quoted me £600-700 to replace the EGR.

Happy days.... -.-

propane94

Bearded Ginger
Nov 15, 2012
Portsmouth
You could try some Italian driving for a while and see if that helps, or some EGR cleaner. No idea how well they work as I have never used them.

Another alternative is having the valve blanked off, although I think you will need the DPF removed as well if you do this.

BF95

Oct 15, 2013
Coventry
I wouldn't recommend egr cleaner the thickness of the carbon build up is so strong it doesn't always do a gpod job, if it limps again you can always switch your ignition on and off really quickly this will knock it out of limp mode and you should be alright for a little while longer but if I was you I'd go more down the route of egr delete and dpf delete better for the car more mgp, more power more reliable, but can be costly still.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members